Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hook's Saturday Sit-In

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

santino wrote: »
    Thought this might deserve a bit of a resurrection.

I usually catch the last 40 mins of the show on the way to work on Saturdays and catch up on the bits I miss via podcasts. Really enjoy listening to George. He's definitely a little blunted than he was in his heyday but that's assuming he has a lot less control.

I wonder what the listenership figures are going to be like, it's not exactly prime time for radio listening.

Bill Hughes and his essential songs are and always were the highlight for me.

I noticed in the last few weeks that Theresa Lowe and Lara Dungan aren't on the panel anymore. Probably a good thing in one sense. Theresa is lovely to listen to, as for Lara...

Is that Lara Dungan from Future Proof? She does my head in. She has this put on American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Azatadine wrote: »
    Is that Lara Dungan from Future Proof? She does my head in. She has this put on American accent.

I think that's her ya. Very sure of herself God bless her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Azatadine

santino wrote: »
    I think that's her ya. Very sure of herself God bless her

I stopped listening to Future Proof due to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I enjoy the show weekly. I presume theyve extended hes contract it was due to finish this sept. Pity we dont get more of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

vince wrote: »
    I enjoy the show weekly. I presume theyve extended hes contract it was due to finish this sept. Pity we dont get more of him.

I listen to talk radio as I drive from job to job. I do work Saturdays but would only be leaving the house at half9 as no one wants me knocking on their door at 8am. As a result I only catch the last 30 minutes or more often the last 15 minutes. It's a pity it's not on later in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

vince wrote: »

Newstalk made a BIG mistake with Hook. He was one of the few people you'd bother to tune into.

But there you go, they deserve to lose listeners after pandering to the outraged PC brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Newstalk made a BIG mistake with Hook. He was one of the few people you'd bother to tune into.

But there you go, they deserve to lose listeners after pandering to the outraged PC brigade.

Listenership hasn't been hit in the slightest. Lunchtime show maintained it's numbers and stationwide listenership is up - https://www.newstalk.com/Newstalk-achieves-record-weekly-audience-of-764000-listeners-in-latest-JNLR

jooksavage wrote: »
    Listenership hasn't been hit in the slightest. Lunchtime show maintained it's numbers and stationwide listenership is up - https://www.newstalk.com/Newstalk-achieves-record-weekly-audience-of-764000-listeners-in-latest-JNLR

I'm betting if you could go back further that Hook didn't increase the lunchtime figures much. That is to say that that the lunchtime slot will always have 90,000 to 100.000 regardless who they have on.

I've observed this before but in all my years, I've never come across anyone who is surveyed by the JNLR.

Maybe like many of these companies, they just ask the same people in the same sort of brackets all the time. And get the same old answers?

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote:
    Maybe like many of these companies, they just ask the same people in the same sort of brackets all the time. And get the same old answers?

Do you not think that the stations, who are all pay for the figures, would have changed companies if they were giving incorrect information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I've observed this before but in all my years, I've never come across anyone who is surveyed by the JNLR.

How would you know? Do you ask everyone you meet?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Do you not think that the stations, who are all pay for the figures, would have changed companies if they were giving incorrect information?

No, assuming the figures reflect OK. These figures are mostly of use to negotiate with advertisers and as long as they are consistent and not downwards, why rock the boat?
    How would you know? Do you ask everyone you meet?

No, but the only place I've heard of JNLR figures being referred to are in the occasional back slapping promos and the likes of here. Never once heard an ordinary Sean Citizen mention them.

How many do you know who contribute to the JNLR ratings??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

43 years old never heard of anyone polled for JNLR

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Seems Georgey has all the self righteous windbags over on Twitter all worked up again.

I'd probably give them a pass but it sets a precedent. The only person the boy has to blame is his mother.

Can see the Hooky monster getting the boot once and for all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Raiden Lemon Locust

Lol! Poor George. It's Simple Simon trying the oul deflection thing to take the focus off the rubbish job he's doing as Minister for Health. Again.

Apparently the mother applied for asylum here and was refused it in 2015 and was issued with a Deportation Notice, which she challenged and lost. So, now she's been issued with another Deportation Notice and now the bleeding heart liberals on twitter/the journal and matt cooper's twitter are outraged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Seems Georgey has all the self righteous windbags over on Twitter all worked up again.

What did he say? I was working this morning so I couldn't listen. Surely they didn't allow him speak about the Traveller thing did they. I thought he was permanently gagged on particular issues.

http://www.thejournal.ie/george-hook-bray-4296777-Oct2018/?utm_source=facebook_short&fbclid=IwAR2oyZBXdf6YrSD6uhQJ5stcfQcmLVhyze9_uyvnC6WmH82zdwwYuIrFTog

This Bray kid is being deported, the mothers asylum claim got rejected and now theres a storm kicking up now since the kid was born here, he's irish….we had a referendum in 07 so someone can t come over here, have a kid here and now claim the irish citizenship

This is just absurd, people overwhelming voted in 2004 that children born in Ireland to non nationals wouldn’t become Irish citizens now everyone suddenly realises the consequences of this?
    There shouldn’t be outrage against someone who points out the law , The hypocrisy of some people in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

last show just finishing up now.

gonna miss the aul cermudgeon, god knows theres not much left in newstalk worth tuning in for. he was at the very least entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Contrary for contrarys sake.
    Won't miss him constantly talking about himself when interviewing someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Never listen to it since I caught the first couple of shows and I didn't even know that it was finishing. Any reason or is George finally going home to the lovely Ingrid and his slippers in front of the fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup.

good aul fashioned retirement from what he's been saying. cant blame him TBH - he's 77 FFS- and newstalk aint exactly friendly to any outside the hivemind now so i cant imagine the working enviroment is alot of fun, plus unlike pat he didnt fuk up his finances in his latter years so he can afford to.

i'd wonder who's gonna replace him but TBH ive 90% stopped listening to newstalk and gone full podcasts/youtubers instead.

the odd pat kenny is pretty much all i catch now.

i wish him well, he's provided alot of fun over the years.

Del.Monte wrote:
    Never listen to it since I caught the first couple of shows and I didn't even know that it was finishing. Any reason or is George finally going home to the lovely Ingrid and his slippers in front of the fire?

His contract wasn't renewed. He is retiring with grace.

The reality is that he was suspended from August (I think) last year to January of this year. He was then demoted to Saturday mornings till his contract ran out.

He should have retired two years ago at the height of his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It was all over once he lost his lunchtime show and they relegated him to a pre-recorded graveyard slot. I didn't always agree with him, he was flawed and he could be a right pain in the rear. But I'll miss him. He had something different to offer and you could never say he was bland. There is far too much sameness and group think on Irish radio. We're all the worse for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Didn’t agree with him on loads of things, but he was always entertaining. An eccentric sort of man. He’ll be missed. The witch hunt that time was absolutely shameful, and I’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very hypocritical of Newstalk to be thanking him and wishing him well in his retirement when they hung him out to dry in September 2017 for asking a question about rape that needed to be discussed in a serious,but compassionate way.Instead of having that discussion in an adult and responsible way on his show,he was hounded out of his job.
    I wish him well.

Very hypocritical of Newstalk to be thanking him and wishing him well in his retirement when they hung him out to dry in September 2017 for asking a question about rape that needed to be discussed in a serious,but compassionate way.Instead of having that discussion in an adult and responsible way on his show,he was hounded out of his job. I wish him well.

In fairness to Newstalk the sponsors wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Without wanting to get into what he said or didn't say, meant or didn't mean he also lost a massive amount of fans/listeners. He was the most downloaded show on Newstalk in 2016. People could have downloaded his Saturday Sit In but they didn't.

Its all very good saying that Newstalk should have stood by their man but its a business. If sponsors won't pay for the adds on his show then Newstalk couldn't put him back on prime time radio. They have paid him his contracted salary for 5 prime radio slots per week, for over a year, when he hasn't been doing these slots.

It's a pity he ever came back to start High Noon, much as I enjoyed the show. He should have retired at the top of his game in 2016 as he originally planned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In fairness to Newstalk the sponsors wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Without wanting to get into what he said or didn't say, meant or didn't mean he also lost a massive amount of fans/listeners. He was the most downloaded show on Newstalk in 2016. People could have downloaded his Saturday Sit In but they didn't.
    people didn't download his Saturday Sit In because they didn't want to listen to a once proud and pugnacious broadcaster hamstrung and humiliated, they preferred not to taint their memories with this castrated shadow of his former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

No matter how much people want to blame everyone else the truth is he dug his own grave and tarnished his own legacy.

He should have retired a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Its all very good saying that Newstalk should have stood by their man but its a business. If sponsors won't pay for the adds on his show then Newstalk couldn't put him back on prime time radio. They have paid him his contracted salary for 5 prime radio slots per week, for over a year, when he hasn't been doing these slots.

It's a pity he ever came back to start High Noon, much as I enjoyed the show. He should have retired at the top of his game in 2016 as he originally planned

I could never condone rape in any way and any person who commits it is vile nasty scum,but t's just a pity due to the shortsightsness of Newstalk and their sponsors we never got a chance to hear responsible serious discussion on The Right Hook programme.Unfortunately there are men out there who take advantage of girls/women that put themselves in vulnerable positions due to drugs,alcohol,and the way they dress.That hasn't changed in society and George Hook was trying to generate an honest debate about it,but he never got the chance to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually think he was not great at Lunchtime. He should retire with The Right Hook, I think Ciara Kelly is better suited to the type of programme Newstalk want at Lunchtime. He was atrocious at phone ins and Newstalk stopped them fairly soon. After that it was a few good slots with regulars and a lot of aimless ranting.

Anyway I have a soft spot for him and wish him well.

it was a sad little prat who wrote/tweeted to every advertiser on his show for the previous month complaining and the sponsors always backs away to appease twitter windbags...id love to see more companies to tell these windbags on twitter to shut up

it was a sad little prat who wrote/tweeted to every advertiser on his show for the previous month complaining and the sponsors always backs away to appease twitter windbags...id love to see more companies to tell these windbags on twitter to shut up

There were twitter windbags on both sides brought him down. Hook apologised yet many of his supporters took it upon themselves to state that it wasn't a genuine apology. He was forced into it by the station. They didn't leave the sponsor much choice

People seem to forget that day when George made his comments. Regardless of his intentions, he left his comment hanging there and went to a commercial break. His sponsor was part of the commercial break. He had just described an alleged rape in a hotel & within minutes his sponsors add was running. His sponsor happened to be a family hotel. They were running a competition giving away a hotel break. The mind boggles how the producer let the add run after a hotel rape segment. He/she should have been sacked that day for stupidly. There was no way the hotel group could continue with the show after that.

It wasn't twitter followers that got that hotel chain to pull the plug. Poor old George apologised & his own supporters didn't believe him. If the apology wasn't believed by the public then it was useless. Personally I believe the apology. He didn't intend to cause harm and stress that was felt by rape victims. I believe that it was a slip of the tongue. Worded what he wanted to say badly. It could happen to anyone.

There was a lot of dominos fell one after another sealing George's fate. His producer letting the add run, the station seemingly not bothered about it at all at first, George's apology not being believed & touted on social media by his own supporters as a lie. The posters sticking up for George did as much harm as the posters against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually think he was not great at Lunchtime. He should retire with The Right Hook, I think Ciara Kelly is better suited to the type of programme Newstalk want at Lunchtime. He was atrocious at phone ins and Newstalk stopped them fairly soon. After that it was a few good slots with regulars and a lot of aimless ranting.

Anyway I have a soft spot for him and wish him well.

.... and that statement should be enough to make any broadcaster retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

People seem to forget that day when George made his comments. Regardless of his intentions, he left his comment hanging there and went to a commercial break. His sponsor was part of the commercial break.

Listen to this interview to get an idea of George's experience with the sponsors and the media, listen to this.

http://www.redfm.ie/on-air/podcasts/neil-prendeville-on-redfm/episode/january-5th-2018/

From 1:45:00 in to the video.

Listen to this interview to get an idea of George's experience with the sponsors and the media, listen to this.

His comments on the hotel group were sad. I thought he was better than that. Yes the hotel contract was up in two weeks but he failed to mention that without his comments on a hotel alleged rape the hotel group might have been happy to renew the contract. He's implying that the hotel group used this to get out of the contract early. Two weeks left is a coincidence. If the hotel had six months left does he honestly believe that they wouldn't have pulled the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

for those of you still crying about him being "forced" off the air, you can catch him at this lovely anti-EU shindig. Feel free to being your MAGA hats, and going by their twitter feed, you might even get to see a few SH salutes too:

D2LQiSnXQAADQ66.jpg

for those of you still crying about him being "forced" off the air, you can catch him at this lovely anti-EU shindig. Feel free to being your MAGA hats, and going by their twitter feed, you might even get to see a few SH salutes too:

Ah. I see. I never liked Hook and was happy to see the back of him. At the same time, I would have given him more credit than to associate himself with this ragtag of longterm unemployed malcontents, conspiracy theorist nutjobs, etho-nationalists and whatever the f*** John Waters is. Looks like he'll do anything that gives him a platform for his "poor aul George" routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Good man, Kieran Cuddihy and Ciara Kelly would be proud of you. I'm not sure a meeting like that would be a good fit for you anyway, it's for people who can think for themselves, not those who simply regurgitate tired "MAGA hat" clichés and whatever other catchy phrases they've heard on Newstalk.

• Advertisement

Good man, Kieran Cuddihy and Ciara Kelly would be proud of you. I'm not sure a meeting like that would be a good fit for you anyway, it's for people who can think for themselves, not those who simply regurgitate tired "MAGA hat" clichés and whatever other catchy phrases they've heard on Newstalk.

Oh God. There were literally people wearing MAGA hats at the Irexit event in Dublin last May

https://twitter.com/cdeaker/status/999359930573492227

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thought Hooky would have more sense than to associate himself with Irexit imbeciles. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Thought Hooky would have more sense than to associate himself with Irexit imbeciles. Oh well.

Did you ever listen to his show? He'll fit right in.

Did you ever listen to his show? He'll fit right in.

Hard to believe now, but there was a time when he used to bore the arse off me going on about this blueshirt credentials. Wearying as it was, I'd never have thought the same guy would go off the deep end and start following the lunatic fringe cowbags behind Irexit.

For the last 2-3 years now though, he's been doing the professional victim routine. Himself, John Waters and Kevin Myers ought to form a supergroup. It's kind of sad to see someone go in this direction at this stage of their life but if you follow the trajectory of his career, it's not a surprising endpoint.

Anyone see Hooks Irexit speech on YouTube? Sat through as much of it as I could stomach. 45 minutes of unedited, rambling, self-serving b******s. More than anything, it was really boring. As bad as his meandering radio monologues got, it goes to show how much worse they could have been without a production staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone see Hooks Irexit speech on YouTube? Sat through as much of it as I could stomach. 45 minutes of unedited, rambling, self-serving b******s. More than anything, it was really boring. As bad as his meandering radio monologues got, it goes to show how much worse they could have been without a production staff.

These idiots never know when to quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Oh God. There were literally people wearing MAGA hats at the Irexit event in Dublin last May

https://twitter.com/cdeaker/status/999359930573492227

A lot of needy unhinged men together in one room..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Anyone see Hooks Irexit speech on YouTube? Sat through as much of it as I could stomach.

I saw the speech yesterday and I thought he made a lot of good points about how the media works. There is a serious problem in the media with targeting conservative voices for their misdemeanors, but when the same misdemeanors happen to people who they are more ideologically aligned then a blind eye gets turned. As a very simple example you could take the example of how they portray Trump as a sexual deviant, yet Bill Clinton is still portrayed as a hero.

There really is no legitimate media any more. They are all bought and paid for and are lobbying on behalf of their masters.

I saw the speech yesterday and I thought he made a lot of good points about how the media works. There is a serious problem in the media with targeting conservative voices for their misdemeanors, but when the same misdemeanors happen to people who they are more ideologically aligned then a blind eye gets turned. As a very simple example you could take the example of how they portray Trump as a sexual deviant, yet Bill Clinton is still portrayed as a hero.

Hook was part of the media up to a few months ago. Despite him making a name for himself as a shock jock he never seemed to change or challenge the Irish media even though Newstalk paid him to be outspoken.

Trump is portrayed as a sexual deviant because there is a tape of him saying how he sexually assaulted women. Just in case you are not sure what sexual assault is there is a running thread about a taxi driver in court on three counts of sexual assault. One was trying to kiss a woman in his taxi. Another was rubbing a woman's leg in his taxi & the last one was the taxi driver grabbing the female by the pussy. He has admitted to these sex offences, has been found guilty and is awaiting sentencing. Based on trumps own statement he is a sexual predator and sexual abuser. These are facts.

While Clinton can be seen as a hero there is some history to this. There wouldn't be an IRA ceasefire or a peace process without him. That's just Ireland. He played a major role in peace processe all over the world. He may also be a sex predator. I don't know but there is no recording of him boasting about sexually abusing women. Not that I heard anyway.

One of these guys was a genuine statesman. The other is Donald Trump. If you wonder why the media treat them so differently its because they are so different. Also if you are old enough to remember Clinton in office the media wasn't kind to him about Monica and the empeachment. They are kinder to him now because of all he accomplished in office. If you are lucky this will historically outshine your indiscretions. Not likely to be the case with trump

This show has now been over for four months; it's time to leave Hook in the past, and time now to close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement