Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hook's Saturday Sit-In

• 06-01-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Hes back!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Jaysus is the Michael Graham bit going to be pre-record every week? With the time difference he's probably not gonna be able to do it live anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Missed the start. Rest was all going well... Michael Graham is just too much. Change the dial.
    As Michael D. Said to MG "... I believe in free speech but you've had your fair share.".. and called him a wanker!!
    Vote Michael D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jaysus is the Michael Graham bit going to be pre-record every week? With the time difference he's probably not gonna be able to do it live anyway.
    as I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the whole show is pre-recorded.

as I said in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the whole show is pre-recorded.

Yeah, I read that alright, but he didn't mention that it was pre-record on the interview with Neil Prendeville. And he seemed to make some reference to getting up early on Saturday morning, so I presumed it was going to be live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Missed the start. Rest was all going well... Michael Graham is just too much. Change the dial.
    As Michael D. Said to MG "... I believe in free speech but you've had your fair share.".. and called him a wanker!!
    Vote Michael D.

Well it takes one to know one. Anyway, I flicked on the radio this morning and caught part of the Michael Graham segment - never again. I won't be tuning in again. It was like something that Lord Haw-Haw would have produced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Glad to hear George back on the air again this morning.

It's only when I hear him after an absence, I realise how many mediocre/awful broadcasters we have to endure daily across the radio spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

It was great to hear George back on radio. It was as i thought a show full of the regular guests and a safe show which i found bland which was highlighted for me when i heard no interaction between Geoerge and Micheal that was the fun of hes spot. They could just give Micheal Grahame 15 mind any part of the day to give hes rant. I wont be setting the alarm again to tune in. Such a pity Newstalk is now like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thank jesus !

prerecorded or not lts leagues ahead of what was in situ before.

gets me all the way to the business show on RTE too.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I only caught the last 15 minutes but planning on downloading the podcast.

Great to hear him on the air again

Yeah, I read that alright, but he didn't mention that it was pre-record on the interview with Neil Prendeville. And he seemed to make some reference to getting up early on Saturday morning, so I presumed it was going to be live.

If he isn't reading out listeners texts I'd imagine it's pre recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Deedsie wrote: »
    I only got from 09:45. I thought it was 10 to 12 he was on. I def read that somewhere. The conniving bastards are trying to sabotage him from the inside. Good to have him back on the radio. Enjoyed the Richard Harris segment I did get to hear.

Yeah, caught same slot. Wasn't very inspiring subject matter though. Not much to get the old teeth into there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Turned on the radio on my way to work and completely forgot he was back. It was a welcome short term surprise. And of course the first thing he was banging on about was Islamic Migrants :pac:

Great to have the big man back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

And he seemed to make some reference to getting up early on Saturday morning, so I presumed it was going to be live.

Only caught the start of it but I'm pretty sure he did make some reference to Ingrid being home in bed with her cup of tea.

The conniving bastards are trying to sabotage him from the inside.

Yep, Newstalk the commercial station that seems to be doing all it can to stay afloat its sabotaging its own shows. That make sense. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did I say the entire newstalk corporation is trying to sabotage him? There were undeniably a select group of newstalk employees who did all they could to hurt George over his comments. Also it was a joke. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ringleaders like Chris and bandwagon jumpers like dil are both gone thank fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Like him or loathe him, George is nearly always great liatening. Hes Premier League, whereas the week day line up on NT nowadays are non league with the sole exception of Yates. I for one am delighted to have George back. Even on an off day hes so much better than the dross that replaced him

It's certainly a good start to the show. But the reins are really in force on him with the pre-record, so those questions that George is prepared to ask that none of the other liberals are prepared to ask, will be filtered out before it's brought to air.

I think we have really crossed the Rubicon last year with the elimination of the last two conservative / controversial opinions of Kevin Myers and George Hook. Unless your views are consistent the liberal views adopted by the rest of the Irish media, you will be hounded out. It's actually scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Heard a bit of it. Can't stand that Bill Hughes fella. It's definitely not live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Back where ? when ? on NT?

Missed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Heard a bit of it. Can't stand that Bill Hughes fella. It's definitely not live.

Agree. Hughes should be ditched at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Great to have George back. I stopped listening to Newstalk during the day since they got rid of him.

• Advertisement

Gwynplaine wrote: »

I was surprised to hear that Bill Hughes was back on the show. I thought he would have abandoned George like the rest of the pc snowflakes. Fair play to him for not letting himself be swayed by the baying mob. Because I'm sure there ARE a few people looking down their noses at him for still associating with Hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wonder will it be forever pre-recorded, just in case George says something wrong again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't listen to it.

Was he more restrained than usual?

Wanted to download this podcast but it doesn't seem to be there? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Wanted to download this podcast but it doesn't seem to be there? Am I missing something?

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/106776/41715/06th_January_2018_-_Saturday_SitIn_Part_1/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It's not appearing on any of the podcast app feeds. Clearly it's a very half arsed effort if they are not even bothering putting up the podcast.

Bobby's Breakfast is also not on the podcast feeds despite it being on the newtalk website podcast section. Whoever they have in charge of podcasts seems to forget about entire shows, let alone episodes.

Pinkman wrote:
    It's not appearing on any of the podcast app feeds. Clearly it's a very half arsed effort if they are not even bothering putting up the podcast.

I was beginning to think it was just me. Fingers crossed they upload both weeks next Saturday

Hook pushing the "Obama sold the US embassy in London" nonsense from Trump. Michael Graham quickly mentioned the Bush had something to do with it, but pretty much completely glossed over it.
    hilarious to hear Hook repeating widely discredited Trump lies. glad to see the new show hasn't put the brakes on him spouting moronic guff and further embarrassing himself with his ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thought I'd catch pedantic pat but realised it was George.
    Started to go on a rant about 'whats so fantastic about saoirse Ronan'.. then backed it up with 'didn't -insert 1940' celebrity- say never let your daughters go in to acting'. Then contradicts himself by trying to change the topic 'for every one saoirse Ronan there's 200 who don't make it'. Then he was quickly pulled back by the female panel.

I get the feeling he'll have to be balanced/aka babysat by female panellists every week.
    Thank feck I missed Michael Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thought I'd catch pedantic pat but realised it was George.
    Started to go on a rant about 'whats so fantastic about saoirse Ronan'.. then backed it up with 'didn't -insert 1940' celebrity- say never let your daughters go in to acting'. Then contradicts himself by trying to change the topic 'for every one saoirse Ronan there's 200 who don't make it'. Then he was quickly pulled back by the female panel.

I get the feeling he'll have to be balanced/aka babysat by female panellists every week.
    Thank feck I missed Michael Graham.

Thank feck I missed the whole show - never again after Graham last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I heard some of the show today. Am glad to see he sounds like the vitriol he received over his comments haven't made him change his style.

Not saying I love everything about his style (I disagree with most of his views) but at least he has some form of personality and conviction.

Not much traffic on this thread. Are there not many people listening to the Saturday morning show?
    I've stopped listening since Lara Dungan became a permanent fixture. Terese Lowe is a breath of fresh air... measured, reasonable, thoughtful... but Lara Dungan is smug, self righteous and unbearable. She lectured everybody about the dangers of alcohol for about ten minutes the other week, before it actually emerged that she was the only person in the studio who actually drank alcohol.
    I stood by the show the first week she was on, but I'm not f**king listening to Lara Dungan every week, George.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Azatadine

And what's with her half American accent!!

The show seems to be prerecorded. There's no bite to it at least what I hear from 9 to 10. On his last two shows High Noon & the Right Hook he covered events that were happening that day. There is no excitement to it like other shows. I don't feel that he might say something outrageous at any moment. It feels safe & scripted. This weekly show doesn't suit him at all imo

Agree about the lack of excitement. But as was said by many people at the start of the thread, Hook has essentially been castrated to appease the liberals... not allowed to discuss particular topics, show is pre-record so that they can make sure that his views are acceptable to NT management..
    George used to be outspoken, and was the only radio presenter brave enough to make himself unpopular by asking the hard questions. He was the voice of people who were asking the same non-PC, but honest questions around their kitchen table. If he is not allowed to do this, then he is just another liberal-bot like the rest of the NT presenters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He has joined the Chris Donoghue school of anaemic, bland and PC approved radio. Remember how dull as dishwater his show was with Sarah McInerney. They were effectively fired and he got the reward for his abject failure of a lucrative Government PR job. Only in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

George used to be outspoken, and was the only radio presenter brave enough to make himself unpopular by asking the hard questions. He was the voice of people who were asking the same non-PC, but honest questions around their kitchen table. If he is not allowed to do this, then he is just another liberal-bot like the rest of the NT presenters.

Like a lot of people who consider themselves 'un-PC', he comes across as very incurious and unwilling to listen to answers to his 'honest questions', even when they're based on scientific evidence (vaccinations or climate change, for example).

Ivan Yates would hold a lot of similar opinions to Hook, but is a far better broadcaster because while he isn't afraid to ask 'non-PC' questions, he's more naturally curious about listening to the answers.

Ivan Yates would hold a lot of similar opinions to Hook, but is a far better broadcaster because while he isn't afraid to ask 'non-PC' questions, he's more naturally curious about listening to the answers.
    The thing about Yates is though, he always asks questions in that jocose, facetious, "Devil's Advocate" tone so that he's never actually really responsible for the questions he asks. George at least has the courage of his convictions to ask a straight question in a serious tone and take the consequences. Well he did.

The thing about Yates is though, he always asks questions in that jocose, facetious, "Devil's Advocate" tone so that he's never actually really responsible for the questions he asks. George at least has the courage of his convictions to ask a straight question in a serious tone and take the consequences. Well he did.

George doesn't let them answer though. He constantly interruptes. I die a little inside when someone is about something interesting and he cuts them off.

I do listen to George but much prefer Ivon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Agree about the lack of excitement. But as was said by many people at the start of the thread, Hook has essentially been castrated to appease the liberals... not allowed to discuss particular topics, show is pre-record so that they can make sure that his views are acceptable to NT management..

I would bet good money that the reason its prerecorded is that George doesnt want to get up early on the weekends. He talked frequently about liking his lazy weekends. And using "Castrated," to describe him now, Jesus but thats overdramatic. Hook was there to raise controversy like every lunch time presenter on Newstalk. Same as the guy before Hook and same as Ciara Kelly. They are obsessed with Texts and tweets.

• Advertisement

I have it on extremely good authority that a pre-recorded show was George's choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Time to give Hooky his show back.. This slot is an insult to the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I have it on extremely good authority that a pre-recorded show was George's choice.

I think someone let it slip that they were going to a show "tomorrow" and then later referred to a Thursday night audience.
    I'd say the show is recorded early and reviewed / examined several times to avoid "oops" moments.

nah, it's not reviewed or examined after the fact. if there's anything remotely contentious being discussed, the producer will have caught it at the time, and George will be well aware from his years of doing live broadcasts anyway about if something is obviously over the line, especially now.

I hear that Ciara Kelly's show is going pre-record now as well .. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Hook talking to a US gun lunatic advocating the arming of teachers over there. Hook says its "pracrically impossible" to get a gun over here. No its not. Its a bit labourious compared to the US but its not at all difficult.

Shame the pre recorded show didn't allow him to discuss Conor Mcgregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I find the doctor he has on for the first segment every week insufferable, the other two ladies are grand.

I find the doctor he was on for the first segment every week insufferable, the other two ladies are grand.

I work Saturday mornings & usually catch from 9 to 10. Sounds like I'm not missing much before 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Thought this might deserve a bit of a resurrection.

I usually catch the last 40 mins of the show on the way to work on Saturdays and catch up on the bits I miss via podcasts. Really enjoy listening to George. He's definitely a little blunted than he was in his heyday but that's assuming he has a lot less control.

I wonder what the listenership figures are going to be like, it's not exactly prime time for radio listening.

Bill Hughes and his essential songs are and always were the highlight for me.

I noticed in the last few weeks that Theresa Lowe and Lara Dungan aren't on the panel anymore. Probably a good thing in one sense. Theresa is lovely to listen to, as for Lara...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement