Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very short taxi trip?

• 27-09-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just want to check if this is alright. I'll be getting some extensive dental work done over the weekend. I'll also be taking some heavy sedatives for it, so I'll need to get a taxi back home from the dentist. The journey is just over 2km, and according to world taxi fare it should cost 6 euro or so. It won't be during rush hour. I know about people sometimes getting a negative reaction from taxi drivers when it's a very short journey, but I don't really have any other option. I just want to check if there's any way they could refuse me because it's such a short trip or anything? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your best bet is to use mytaxi or some similar service where you grab a taxi that's already in the area. If you phone for a taxi, the dispatcher will go on the blower looking for someone to take the call and there's a good chance that they will get no takers - not technically a 'refusal' but effectively the same thing.

The other option is to stand on the street and catch a passing cab, if it's off peak then they'd have no reason to refuse a short hop as at worst they will get the minimum fare.

So I wouldn't rely on an advance booking, they may take the booking in good faith but then not be able to fulfil it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you might consider asking dentists if they use any company.

I know someone who was being sedated and the dentist wanted to know how they were getting home. They insisted that if a taxi was being used, they used one they trusted.

As the person is sedated, they can often to be vulnerable or suggestable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

As above , get the dentists to call you a taxi and NO they wont refuse you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Can I strongly suggest getting someone to accompany you and bring you home. I had 2 wisdom teeth out 2 years ago and I was heavily sedated and to be honest I was groggy as fcuk after. I doubt if I would have made it out the door without assistance.

Apologies for going off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Why would they refuse you? 6 quid for 5 mins work.
    If only we were all paid so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You’re overthinking it, a taxi driver will be happy to take the job. :)

I’m with the others, get the receptionist to call you a taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If you call a taxi it will require a booking fee, not sure if mytaxi is applying one now too, think they are though so that will be €2 extra in either case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

eeguy wrote: »
    Why would they refuse you? 6 quid for 5 mins work.
    If only we were all paid so well.

6 quid for 5 minutes isn’t their “pay”.

The have to fun their tax, insurance, NCT and other things like wear and tear and tyres out of that six quid.

They’re also not getting a fare for the whole 8 hours of a day. By your logic he’d be on 72€ an hour or €2880 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭AlanG

It's generally only at the Airport or on ranks with a long wait that drivers get pissed at short trips. As said above however you would be a lot better getting someone to go along with you to bring you home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

6 quid for 5 minutes isn’t their “pay”.

The have to fun their tax, insurance, NCT and other things like wear and tear and tyres out of that six quid.

They’re also not getting a fare for the whole 8 hours of a day. By your logic he’d be on 72€ an hour or €2880 a week.

You're overthinking things. Calm your brain;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement