Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clongain

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Not all the scenery is great, I agree. But you have to bear in mind that this was a railway line, so was built on mostly a 'shortest distance between two points' type of route and scenery wasnt the No1 priority. That said, the Comeragh's are generally visable to the north unless its raining and they sure are purdy.....:cool:

Fair point. And the mountains are nice. Don't get me wrong I would fully recommend this spin/walk to anyone. Just that if you are going purely for scenery you may be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Did some of the Greenway at the weekend. Not as much as I would have liked but my friends don't enjoy cycling as much as I do, so I took what I could get! It was fabulous to see it getting such great use from a wide variety of people. I really, really enjoyed it and intend to return and do the whole thing but will try to bring my own bike as the ones we hired were terrible. I think if I lived close to this, I'd never be off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Cycled a small bit of this over the long weekend between Dungarvan and Durrow Tunnel. It's a fantastic amenity that will transform the area. The investment seems a lot higher than the Mayo Greenway which is the other one I've used.

It was massively busy which is to be expected given the novelty of it and the weekend that was in it. I think users just need to be respectful of others and have a bit of patience. A polite "on your right" as I heard in the USA earlier in the summer seems more polite than a bell. Followed by a "thank you".

The "Cyclists Dismount" sign at Durrow Tunnel seemed completely out of place and I automatically disregarded it without thinking why it was there. I agree this could be handled a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Looking at doing Wat-Dun-Wat on Sunday next. Where's a good place to park and if we're setting off at 8am from the car are we likely to come across many others using it at that time? Not planning on breaking any land speed records, we're really just out for a very leisurely spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clongain

Eponymous wrote: »
    Looking at doing Wat-Dun-Wat on Sunday next.  Where's a good place to park and if we're setting off at 8am from the car are we likely to come across many others using it at that time?  Not planning on breaking any land speed records, we're really just out for a very leisurely spin.
    When i did it i parked in the WIT Arena. I imagine it will be relatively quiet at 8am but as it is a Sunday it will probably be busy on the way back. Make sure you have a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Looking at doing Wat-Dun-Wat on Sunday next. Where's a good place to park and if we're setting off at 8am from the car are we likely to come across many others using it at that time? Not planning on breaking any land speed records, we're really just out for a very leisurely spin.

There is parking beside Bilberry train station. I'm not sure if it charges. Waterford IT is another parking option for getting onto the greenway.

I'd expect the greenway to be very busy on a Sunday. I was on it last tuesday week from Dungarvan to Waterford and I started out at about 10.30am. It was very busy from Dungarvan as far as Kilmacthomas and was quieter after that. I reckon I passed about 250-300 people on the Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas stretch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There is parking beside Bilberry train station. I'm not sure if it charges. Waterford IT is another parking option for getting onto the greenway.

I'd expect the greenway to be very busy on a Sunday. I was on it last tuesday week from Dungarvan to Waterford and I started out at about 10.30am. It was very busy from Dungarvan as far as Kilmacthomas and was quieter after that. I reckon I passed about 250-300 people on the Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas stretch.

I think Waterford will be quiet enough next Sunday for some reason.... at least for a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Waterford will be a ghost town outside of the city centre this sunday. It'll be like the start of the movie 28 days later.

Just park at the start of the greenway at bilberry... free car park there. Nice section too that you would miss if you started from wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

First time on the Greenway on Sunday. Did Dungarvan to Waterford and back again.
    Have to say it was great. It was dull weatherwise so not too busy and in places deserted.
    Very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Likely heading down to do this tomorrow. We're going to drive from Dublin around 6am or so, do the Greenway and then head back up. Looking forward to not having to deal with mental drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Likely heading down to do this tomorrow. We're going to drive from Dublin around 6am or so, do the Greenway and then head back up. Looking forward to not having to deal with mental drivers

It would make for a nice day trip from Dublin head down on the train cycle the route and train home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It would make for a nice day trip from Dublin head down on the train cycle the route and train home.

The train station is on the right end of the city for the greenway as well (busy bridge to cross though):

http://bit.ly/2ev0TSB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Cycled the 46k to Dungarvan a few weeks ago and have to say Waterford have a fantastic greenway. It smashes the Newport one easily.

Plenty of amenities along the course of it and no major road crossings. The weather was horrible but it was still dam good fun.

I know it's expensive but a bit more asphalt would be nice.

Snap! I thought we were doing it Sunday, but doing it tomorrow. You'll pass us along the way no doubt. Two old fat gits, one in a Giant kit and me in a Boards jersey most likely!

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Train will cost twice as much though. 30quid fuel will get us down and back and the train is €68 return for 2. I would much rather take the train myself tbh

Although we might be adding a third person so it will men the train is needed. The bikes will be going into the car and we'd never fit the 3 of us and 3 bikes into a Focus :pac:
    Snap! I thought we were doing it Sunday, but doing it tomorrow. You'll pass us along the way no doubt. Two old fat gits, one in a Giant kit and me in a Boards jersey most likely!

What direction are you doing it? I'll be wearing a trek short sleeve and on a black and white scott. Be sure to say hello

Train will cost twice as much though. 30quid fuel will get us down and back and the train is €68 return for 2. I would much rather take the train myself tbh

Although we might be adding a third person so it will men the train is needed. The bikes will be going into the car and we'd never fit the 3 of us and 3 bikes into a Focus :pac:

What direction are you doing it? I'll be wearing a trek short sleeve and on a black and white scott. Be sure to say hello
    Waterford to Dungarvan and back...

I'm on a stealthy black Cannondale, buddy on a Giant somethingorother carbon (hence the kit)

Waterford to Dungarvan and back...

I'm on a stealthy black Cannondale, buddy on a Giant somethingorother carbon (hence the kit)

Plans for this have now been moved to Sunday. Buddy is a PT and has been asked to cover classes tomorrow. Going to head down towards Enniskerry instead

Currently on the greenway. Cycling shoesp are in my living room. Cycling on Look pedals over long distance in air Jordans is reeeeealy comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Currently on the greenway. Cycling shoesp are in my living room. Cycling on Look pedals over long distance in air Jordans is reeeeealy comfortable

Ouch :eek: drop into one of the cycle stores in Dungarvan and pick up a set of flat pedals.

Completed it along with an extra few kms either end to bring it over 100. What a place, absolutely loved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If anyone is looking for something longer I recommend cycling the copper coast from Waterford to Dungarvan (approximately 90km) and then back the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Just a reminder for fans of the Greenway that OldVelos is offering something a little bit different on the Greenway next Saturday &Sunday, 10th September.

On Saturday 9th we have an exhibition of vintage bicycles, stands and jumble sale.

On Sunday the The OldVelos Vintage Classic offers 5 routes for all abilities (20-75 miles) on and off the Greenway. there is also a BBQ for cyclists and the public.

All at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas

www.oldvelos.com for more or visit OldVelos on facebook.

Cheers, Brendan

Completed it along with an extra few kms either end to bring it over 100. What a place, absolutely loved it
    Sorry not to see you on the route.

Thoroughly enjoyed it on Saturday. There was a half marathon along the route from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan, so stopped at the coach house for a quick espresso then set off before the start of the race. On the return leg we stopped at the Citroen Van for another coffee and once the bulk of runners had passed, set off again.

It's really good. Surface was great, views are worth the tedium in places. Felt like I could never stop pedalling though! The uphill portions are so gentle you're not even sure you're climbing and the downhill bits likewise, so you just keep the pedals turning with no coasting.

I'll definitely do it again!

Hi all,

Just a reminder for fans of the Greenway that OldVelos is offering something a little bit different on the Greenway next Saturday &Sunday, 10th September.

On Saturday 9th we have an exhibition of vintage bicycles, stands and jumble sale.

On Sunday the The OldVelos Vintage Classic offers 5 routes for all abilities (20-75 miles) on and off the Greenway. there is also a BBQ for cyclists and the public.

All at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas

www.oldvelos.com for more or visit OldVelos on facebook.

Cheers, Brendan
    I was talking to you (I think) at the Coach House on Saturday. The bikes you and your buddy were on are gorgeous. Good luck with the exhibition.

Sorry not to see you on the route.

Thoroughly enjoyed it on Saturday. There was a half marathon along the route from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan, so stopped at the coach house for a quick espresso then set off before the start of the race. On the return leg we stopped at the Citroen Van for another coffee and once the bulk of runners had passed, set off again.

It's really good. Surface was great, views are worth the tedium in places. Felt like I could never stop pedalling though! The uphill portions are so gentle you're not even sure you're climbing and the downhill bits likewise, so you just keep the pedals turning with no coasting.

I'll definitely do it again!

The inclines were torture for me due to the footwear unfortunately. We had to reschedule for Sunday, wind and rain the first 20kms but after that I got sunburned. 4 seasons in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If anyone is looking for something longer I recommend cycling the copper coast from Waterford to Dungarvan (approximately 90km) and then back the greenway.

Did that a few weeks ago, copper coast is a great but tough cycle, a lot of small short hills and was heading into a headwind most of the way. Way back on the Greenway with the wind blowing you along was fairly handy though

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Did this with my 7 and 11 year-olds from Dungarvan a few weeks ago, turned back just short of Kilmacthomas.

It was super busy, being during the holidays and although my intention had been to cycle through the tunnel, it was so thick with people walking both ways that I had to ask the kids to dismount. I would say on a quieter day it would be fine to proceed with caution.

One thing they could do with adding is some picnic tables - there's plenty space to do this beside the path in places. We had brought a packed lunch and ended up sitting on some rocks near Durrow.

Oh yeah, had to park at Clonea beach as we have the bikes on a roof rack and the designated car park at that access point has a height restriction barrier.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Did this yesterday from Waterford to Dungarvan and back again.

Very quiet when I started bar a few brave runners and the odd cyclist. Weather was blustery with a few showers but cleared as the day went on.

Enjoyed it immensely and mucho respecto to all involved! I had to keep reminding myself that this amazing facility is nearly on my doorstep (25 minute drive)!! The facilities along the route were perfect, though I did follow it to the very end in Dungarvan and was a bit disappointed that there was nowhere for a coffee next to the tennis club. Saying that, I didn't look too hard and stopped at the Coach House.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shaz2004

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Did this yesterday from Waterford to Dungarvan and back again.

Very quiet when I started bar a few brave runners and the odd cyclist. Weather was blustery with a few showers but cleared as the day went on.

Enjoyed it immensely and mucho respecto to all involved! I had to keep reminding myself that this amazing facility is nearly on my doorstep (25 minute drive)!! The facilities along the route were perfect, though I did follow it to the very end in Dungarvan and was a bit disappointed that there was nowhere for a coffee next to the tennis club. Saying that, I didn't look too hard and stopped at the Coach House.

From beside the tennis club if you are looking for coffee, the eurospar shop beside it has sit down area for coffee and cake, just past the traffic lights beside bike hire shop is new coffee shop 'cafe bliss' very good only open a month, even the chemist shop beside the tennis club sells take away coffee must be a first for ireland!!! most cyclists will continue on the 100m over the bridge into the square where is plenty for options with most now providing tables outside and racks for bikes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

shaz2004 wrote: »
    From beside the tennis club if you are looking for coffee, the eurospar shop beside it has sit down area for coffee and cake, just past the traffic lights beside bike hire shop is new coffee shop 'cafe bliss' very good only open a month, even the chemist shop beside the tennis club sells take away coffee must be a first for ireland!!! most cyclists will continue on the 100m over the bridge into the square where is plenty for options with most now providing tables outside and racks for bikes...

Cheers, will take note for my next visit! Was going to pop into the chemist as I forgot to bring plasters with me:o I decided to head back as I was having issues clipping in and out of my left pedal. Never happened before and was a real issue when approaching junctions. I had visions of me falling sideways on the crossing :D

Advertisement