Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning colder from Monday - wintry showers on high ground

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Does anyone reckon if we'll get our first frost this week and if so when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Theres a chance tomorrow and tuesday night,and wednesday night would be more likely.

web_irl_temp_2011102006.gif?h=1318791600000

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Monkaa wrote: »
    Does anyone reckon if we'll get our first frost this week and if so when?

Going by IWO they are reckoning towards the end of this week, possibily Thursday/Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

First mention of the S word this winter from met.ie!

Extremely windy and very wet weather will extend from the west during Monday, with strong to gale force and very blustery southwesterly winds likely to gust between 90 and 120 km/h, highest in exposed parts of Connacht, Munster and Leinster. Some thundery downpours are likely, with the rain expected to be heaviest over Connacht and Ulster, with spot flooding. Also, in the northwest in the afternoon, the rain could fall as sleet, as it clears eastwards, with possibly a little snow on mountain tops.Temperatures 9 to 13 C., at first, but falling back to between 4 and 8 C., by late afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Forum Monkey

hawkwing wrote: »
    First mention of the S word this winter from met.ie!

Extremely windy and very wet weather will extend from the west during Monday, with strong to gale force and very blustery southwesterly winds likely to gust between 90 and 120 km/h, highest in exposed parts of Connacht, Munster and Leinster. Some thundery downpours are likely, with the rain expected to be heaviest over Connacht and Ulster, with spot flooding. Also, in the northwest in the afternoon, the rain could fall as sleet, as it clears eastwards, with possibly a little snow on mountain tops.Temperatures 9 to 13 C., at first, but falling back to between 4 and 8 C., by late afternoon.

Does that count for high ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Are there any bets as to which mountain will be the first to have a covering of snow.
    Errigal hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Forum Monkey

I hope that we get on the high ground here in Meath!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Sugar Loaf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I hope that we get on the high ground here in Meath!

There is no high ground in Meath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

BEASTERLY wrote: »

well there's a bit over near oldcastle called Slieve na Calliagh, thats about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

well there's a bit over near oldcastle called Slieve na Calliagh, thats about it really.

What met eireann mean by high ground would be above 300m. I doubt I will see snow on the blackstairsa above 700m this week( wont stop me havin a look :pac: )so there's no hope for Meath I'm afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

What met eireann mean by high ground would be above 300m. I doubt I will see snow on the blackstairsa above 700m this week( wont stop me havin a look :pac: )so there's no hope for Meath I'm afraid :(

Met Eireann clarified what high ground is last winter as I always wondered how high is high ground, the Met Eireann definition is above 200 metres.

I agree I doubt we will see snow around here on the mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'll be passing Mt Errigal in the morning so I'll have a look, at over 750m it should have the best chance in the country tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Finner reported light snow at 0800 but it's another case of an incorrect report, with temp/dewpoint +8/+7 °C. I missed the visibility at 0800 but at 0900 it's 4,400 metres, so that would be the reason for the error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Min wrote: »
    Met Eireann clarified what high ground is last winter as I always wondered how high is high ground, the Met Eireann definition is above 200 metres.

I agree I doubt we will see snow around here on the mountains.

well not that it matters but that would make Slieve na Calliagh in oldcastle at 279m high ground then. i can see it from my place about 40km away and when thres any bit of snow, it seems to get it when most places are green around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowing in Finner and only 5c in Belmullet. Well believe it. Its freezing in Sligo town too only 7.3 on thermometor after 11c 3 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

pauldry wrote: »
    Snowing in Finner and only 5c in Belmullet. Well believe it. Its freezing in Sligo town too only 7.3 on thermometor after 11c 3 hours ago.

Photographic evidence please? :D

;)

pauldry wrote: »
    It's not snowing in Finner, again it's a misreport. Visibility's now 4,300 metres, temp/dewpoint +6/+5 °C

Sligo Airport moderate rain, +7/+5 °C.
    Donegal Airport light rain, +7/+4 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looking forward to first hail showers being reported as snow :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

As Su Campu said, Finner's "snow" is a false report. Finner Camp is a fully unmanned station so you will often see false reports come from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Meanwhile temperature has fallen to 6c at Knock airport. Must feel pretty cool also in Belmullet with 5c

patneve2 wrote: »
    As Su Campu said, Finner's "snow" is a false report. Finner Camp is a fully unmanned station so you will often see false reports come from it.

And at 1pm it's reporting "Unidentified Precipitation", temp/dewp 6/5 °C

13:00 reports light rain and 4c in Knock.

14.1c here in Waterford but black clouds look ominous and wind picking up. Biggest gust so far 45 km/h

Loving the red line

WEB_radar2_201110171315.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That red line on the radar has just past galway winds then suddenly went north west and it has gone almost calm outside so weird

Hooter23 wrote: »
    That red line on the radar has just past galway winds then suddenly went north west and it has gone almost calm outside so weird

Same at Mace Head:
    The Mace Head synop for 12 UTC shows an abrupt change in wind speed and direction occurred at 11:36 UTC, from SW (220°) 43 knots to NW (330°) 27 knots

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/decome...le=yes&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Hooter23 wrote: »

Also you can feel the difference in temp when that wind direction changed. gone so chilly in that breeze now. P.S wish i had a weather station.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why are there two threads about the same event?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422599&page=2

super-rush wrote: »

The other one is purely about the severe weather associated with today's front as it moves southeastwards today. This thread's about the colder weather setting in behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

super-rush wrote: »

The other is a picture thread . )

Advertisement