Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Wind? Friday 21st Oct 2011.

Options
  • 10-10-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Again I'm very new to this weather stuff... so go easy.... :)

Just looking at some charts for the future and noticed these pair...(See enclosed pictures).

Is it fair to say that a low pressure system centered near Ireland with tight isobars coupled with a strong Jet stream overhead would give rise to a good wind event?

OR are the two independent/mutually exclusive? that is, pressure at ground and jet stream...

Thanks again,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I thought this was a curry related thread :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You do know its 11 days out?..... this WILL change if not disappear altogether.

But in anyways in would be a windy day yes , nothing too dramatic though .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    He posted something similar two weeks in advance of ex Katia ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Iancar29 wrote: »

But in anyways in would be a windy day yes , nothing too dramatic though .

Hi...thanks for the reply. I know it's ages away.. and in terms of our weather 'system' here in Ireland it's an infinite time off. Just posting as a thoroughbred amateur. Now off to read the thread about which weather station to buy.. ;)

Pangea wrote: »
    He posted something similar two weeks in advance of ex Katia ;)

That was a complete fluke... thanks all the same :D

Cheers lads,
    T..

Common isobars.... squash up a little bit more..... ;)

Looks like I'll have to wait to December according to MT for the next blast of wind.... ah well..

• Advertisement

Or maybe it'll be on the Saturday the 22nd? ... common wind :D

It's very lonely on this thread........... ;)

Tazio wrote: »
    Or maybe it'll be on the Saturday the 22nd? ... common wind :D

It's very lonely on this thread........... ;)

I'm here lurning ! You are not alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    I'm here lurning ! You are not alone :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_hWG5O2m3CYf4LWgEVrrBOg5jrIDfGJjVnHdxkfpado6YR9w9

Right I'm sure it's going to be pretty windy on the Saturday (going into the Sunday) now.

.....this of course is based on absolutely no expertise on my behalf whatsoever... but I do like to look of this picture... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

You seem to have a knack for catching these things about a month in advance, first Katia, now this, any chance you could start predicting snow now???

• Advertisement

You seem to have a knack for catching these things about a month in advance, first Katia, now this, any chance you could start predicting snow now???

lol... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

18Z GFS has a 955 mb low south of Iceland on the 23rd. Much further north than the first fleeting charts.

Snow? You'll have to wait until December 11th for that.... only joking... :D

Looking at GSF again this morning it looks a bit 'wobbly' though. Again, having very limited knowledge at what it actually going on here on the charts... I'd love to hear one of the experts comment on the actual conditions on the day..

DISCLAIMER: This thread is only meant as a bit of fun..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A deep low showing on all the models today, around 950mb but it stays out in the Atlantic for the most part. Would give a serious storm if it pushed further east so still a chance you could be right again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tazio wrote: »
    Snow? You'll have to wait until December 11th for that....

I've been down to the turf accountants and put a bet on on the strength of that. You'd better be right or else......... :D

I've been down to the turf accountants and put a bet on on the strength of that. You'd better be right or else......... :D

Right I'm off to hide.... although, if you win, 20% would be nice..

Well this thread can be closed.... this is going to be a non event.. or can I change the title to Sunday the 23rd?? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement