Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres came with Mavic Ksyriums..are they any good?

Options
  • 22-10-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Would prefer not to find out 20k from home in the rain!

they're foldable Mavic tyres, not sure of model name; anyone got any experience of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

8valve wrote: »
    Would prefer not to find out 20k from home in the rain!

they're foldable Mavic tyres, not sure of model name; anyone got any experience of these?

I keep them as spares - have had them on the odd time. it's handy that they're foldable. Seem grand but there's better out there. Wouldn't rate their puncture resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pretty crap tyres. Mine came with one of the bikes but began to shred on the sides after a few rides. I wouldn't trust them on a long spin. Good rolling resistance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

My bike came with Mavic Yksion Pro GripLink and PowerLink tyres and I found them to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mavic Aksions, I'd guess. I'm using a pair at the moment. I've 700km on them to date and so far no punctures or problems. No nicks, cuts, etc. but 700km is probably early days for a proper opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

jinkypolly wrote: »
    My bike came with Mavic Yksion Pro GripLink and PowerLink tyres and I found them to be excellent.

+1 on these - I had fully intended to change these immediately for my barely-used Conti GP4000s, but I got 10 months out of them with no problems. Time to change them now though - the back one is looking a little squared-off if you know what I mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

My Kysrium slr's came with tyres fitted when I bought them 2 years ago.

They're still on em!!!! Amazing tyres. Fair enough they're on my goodest of good bikes so weren't used over the winters at all but still, saw plenty of road. I keep thinking I must change them but I'm nearly afraid to jinx it so I keep saying "Ah fcuk it, one more spin!" :)
    Got one puncture in the rear in one race in spring 2013 but no other issue. There are a few little nicks and cuts but, what can I say - still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

crosstownk wrote: »
    Mavic Aksions, I'd guess. I'm using a pair at the moment. I've 700km on them to date and so far no punctures or problems. No nicks, cuts, etc. but 700km is probably early days for a proper opinion.

Same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

They make the wheels looks very thin. The decals line up nicely against mavic wheel logos for photos. They suck in the wet but roll nicely on smooth tarmac.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i read the thread title as 'i bought a pair of tyres and some wheels came with them'. in which case i was going to comment that you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ninoon

I have app 5000 km on a pair of Mavic Yksion Pro GripLink and PowerLink tyres No problems at all although not much left on them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

ror_74 wrote: »
    They make the wheels looks very thin. The decals line up nicely against mavic wheel logos for photos. They suck in the wet but roll nicely on smooth tarmac.

Am about to take delivery of a Rose Pro SL which has Aksium wheels/Aksion tyres. Had heard they weren't long lasting but planned to run them til they wore as I'd rather not be spending more money for a few weeks after paying for the bike. But if they're that bad in the wet should I be looking to replace them immediately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

rtmie wrote: »
    Am about to take delivery of a Rose Pro SL which has Aksium wheels/Aksion tyres. Had heard they weren't long lasting but planned to run them til they wore as I'd rather not be spending more money for a few weeks after paying for the bike. But if they're that bad in the wet should I be looking to replace them immediately?

Bought a pair second hand to match a pair of mavic wheels and although they had little use I found them awful in bad weather straight away -slippy and puncture prone, but had them for a week in Spain and they were grand.

For winter I'd be thinking of Continental GPs or Durano Plus tbh.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm taking about Mavic Yksion Pro Griplink Clinchers, not Aksions.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

I have just changed my Mavic Yksion PowerLink and GripLink tyres after 4000 km. Replaced with same as I found them to be excellent and thankfully have had no problems or punctures. Upon examination, I reckon I could have got another 1000 kms out of them but as these were my first Yksion pros I wasn't sure and decided to play safe.

Advertisement