Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocked down

Options
  • 23-10-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

So I was knocked down cycling through town last night. Driver ran a stop sign and front of her car ran straight into the side of me as I was cycling on the main road. I managed to fall as best I could so no broken bones, just feeling sore in a few places today. Bike needs new wheels as they are buckled. In case I need to make a claim for injury I need to get assessed now even though I don't think I'll have any lasting injuries. Am I better off going to see a doctor or going to a physio? I don't want to spend the money going to see a doctor if he will just send me to a physio and I don't want to go to a physio if I need to see a doctor to have a valid claim. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Can you ring your local doc and ask for advice? See what they think maybe? My doc is normally very helpful in things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry to hear that.... at least you not out of action altogether!

As to who to see first.... I presume you will be reclaiming all costs from motorist insurance and so I wouldn't worry about same. i would go to doctor first and then take it from there.

Did you report same to Gardai.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Get a lawyer. File a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Best thing to go about this is the official way (if you are going to make a claim) so doctors cert and report to Gardai so that you have some paperwork to base your claim upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LostInLM

If I understand correctly, your perfectly fit and healthy apart from a few brushes and sore. I assume you are perfectly able to work therefore no loss of income. Fully agree that you need to recoup damage to bike, but not quite sure why you need to go to doctor/ physio? What are you trying to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

LostInLM wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, your perfectly fit and healthy apart from a few brushes and sore. I assume you are perfectly able to work therefore no loss of income. Fully agree that you need to recoup damage to bike, but not quite sure why you need to go to doctor/ physio? What are you trying to achieve?

I can't speak for the OP, but I guess it's possible to have lasting injuries that aren't initially apparent due to pain/swelling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

It's for a court and medical professionals to determine long term impacts. Not any of us here, and ideally not the op either.

As said, there's many complications that may arise even at the lower end of traumatic injuries. And if there's no legal stick, there's no brake (sorry!) on poor road behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

I can't speak for the OP, but I guess it's possible to have lasting injuries that aren't initially apparent due to pain/swelling etc.

Good advice, I have know similar incidents where people have ended up in A&E 2 or 3 days afterwards unknown to them at the time that they had broken ribs or shoulder.
    Get checked out if only to rule such an injury out & let the insurance company or driver reinburse your medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

My wife had a car crash years ago where another car hit her side-on after going through a stop sign. Like the OP she was stiff and sore the next day. We went to the GP and then followed a course of physio for a few weeks. All bills were kept and sent on to the insurers with a note that if anything cropped up in the future we'd be back onto them. Minimum that insurance should pay out is cost of bike repairs and all relevant medical expenses. Can't see any difference in the OPs case just because it's a bike rather than a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If I understand correctly, you're perfectly fit and healthy apart from a few brushes and sore. I assume you are perfectly able to work therefore no loss of income. Fully agree that you need to recoup damage to bike, but not quite sure why you need to go to doctor/ physio? What are you trying to achieve?
    I've got back pain and knee pain from the accident. If it clears up then that's fine but I don't want to be stuck with a lasting injury. I'm not able to work today but I'm assuming that will change as I get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I went over the bonnet of a car two years ago, which pulled out from an entrance in front of me.

I thought i was ok. My instinct was that there was no harm done and no need to sue but i took the drivers details anyway.

Once I got home my wife took one look at me and insisted i go to A & E. overruling me insisting that i was fine. Turned out my elbow was broken. I had three surgeries on it subsequently and physio twice a week for a year. Even after that it will never fully straighten.

Initial experiences can be deceptive.

As to the doctor/physio thing it is a no brainer - doctor first. If a physio hears you are coming from an RTA without having been to a doctor I imagine they would refuse to treat you anyway, unless they relish the prospect of being sued for negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Rang my doctor and he said to see how I feel in a couple of days and then go see him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had an accident last year. Thought I was fine bar cuts and bruises, even got back onto the bike.

Got seen to by doc, and all clear. Ended up dizzy with headaches that evening and the next day and was suffering from concussion. Missed a week of work, had headaches for a while after and had some extra expenses as a result.

Damage is not always clear so a trip to GP which would be covered if you're having to claim for peace of mind for all parties is surely a no brainer

Advertisement