Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are salt tablets necessary after a 2.5 hour / 20K exhaustive MTB?

• 03-09-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

After a fast exhausting MTB do I need to take a salt tablet?
    I would have lost a considerable amount sweat and Im wondering is it necessary.

I fekt very tired for days after a cycle and Im wondering is salt deficiency the cause.

The OH insists in low sodium salt in cooking and table salt

Anyone any opinion / advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

You take the salt whilst you are sweating. For 2.5 hours it would not be a bad idea.
    I normally have some tortillas the night after a cycle, but if it's warm I'll put a zero in a water bottle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are they necessary? I hope not, as I've never taken them in my life. I don't add salt to any food either.

Are you cramping at all? That's probably more of a sign of salt deficiency after, or during a long ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Beasty wrote: »
    Are they necessary? I hope not, as I've never taken them in my life. I don't add salt to any food either.

Are you cramping at all? That's probably more of a sign of salt deficiency after, or during a long ride

I would not say that they are necessary, but I only use water when I am on the bike. I have got rid of slight heahaches through the use of salt, but I eat very little salt during the day as nearly everything I eat I cook and I don't add salt to anything.
    Some marmite on bread would probably be enough, but if it's a warm day I find it comforting to have a zero in the water bottle as it's nice to be to taste what you are drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I would not say that they are necessary, but I only use water when I am on the bike. I have got rid of slight heahaches through the use of salt, but I eat very little salt during the day as nearly everything I eat I cook and I don't add salt to anything.
    Some marmite on bread would probably be enough, but if it's a warm day I find it comforting to have a zero in the water bottle as it's nice to be to taste what you are drinking.

without being too gross if your sweat tastes salty then you are ok..

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm not saying salt is not the issue here, but pointing out other signs. I'm not sure that salt deficiency can be identified from fatigue alone.

Adding salt to a diet which may already include too much (as many do in Ireland and Western society in general, although it looks like the OP's OH is already aware of that), is not generally considered a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I think it's more to do with fitness level than salt...

I take it you brought plenty of water/banana's/fig rolls on your spin?

Though I have never heard of people having to use salt tablets, High5 Zero Electrolyte Tablets would be more like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

uberalles wrote: »

Anyone any opinion / advice?

Good series on dehydration and fluid replacement

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/featured-series-on-science-of-sport.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't add salt to anything and I've never needed to take any kind of additional salt while on the bike or afterwards.

A salt imbalance in the body is primarily caused by consuming excess water, so that your salt to water ratio is off kilter. It's quite difficult to "sweat out" too much salt, since the body has its own regulation methods in place which basically ensure that the level of salt in the body is managed.

Excess sweating more often results in an excess of salt in the body as the volume of water reduces. Drinking water on the bike will help maintain this balance rather than have the effect of flushing out salt.

It's only over ridiculous time and effort spans like 12 or 24 hours that you need to worry about salt. For 2.5 hours on the bike many people will tell you that you don't really need anything more than water, provided that you eat before you leave and then again once you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Personally I found that even when I was at my fittest (training for marathon kayaking) if I didn't get a few grams of salt after serious exercise or a race I used get the most unmerciful cramps in my thighs and back a few hours after the event. An extra packet or two of salt on my McD's chips and I stopped getting them. I'm careful these days to try to balance salt intake with replenishment after heavy exercise.
    I don't add salt to food much anymore but I do post exercise. Works for me, YMMV.

I'm well familiar with the cramps that come from too much water (after some near-drownings when kayaking) and the cramps from over-sweating. There is a lot of difference between the two..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I tend to drink 2 litres of water in two hours with a boraca tab thrown in.

I have to peel the t shirt off myself. Sweat like a hog I do.

I eat before but tend to have 0 food afterwards but have one guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Unless you are cycling in Arizona, no.

You should be drinking something like Gatorade, Powerade, or the like to replace salts, sugars, electolytes, and all.

I would be willing to bet that your regular diet leaves you with a surplus of salt.

I cycle 80miles a day regularly in high temperatures and have never needed to use salt tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

FISMA wrote: »

You should be drinking something like Gatorade, Powerade, or the like to replace salts, sugars, electolytes, and all.

Do you drink those before / during and/or after ?

Do you drink those before / during and/or after ?

Before, mostly water, maybe some Gatorade.

During - Gatorade, Gatorade, and more Gatorade.

After - back to water. Maybe a recovery drink if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FISMA wrote: »
    During - Gatorade, Gatorade, and more Gatorade

Your dentist must love you. :pac:

I have read about some less cariogenic substitutes for commercial energy drinks. One example is Isomaltulose (Palatinose)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomaltulose

"One of the most important researches on Isomaltulose is conducted by the FDA (Food and Drug Administrator) in 2008 to prove the claim that the substance won’t promote tooth decay. With evidence provided from companies that deals in isomaltulose production such as Cargill International and Beneo-Palatinat and various expert nutritionists, FDA started a review and fact finding process that ultimately come to a conclusion that approved the claim."

The fact that it's low-glycaemic and low-insulinemic is a bonus.

Cheap too.

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/palatinose

Haven't tried it myself yet.

Lumen wrote: »
    Your dentist must love you. :pac:

Dentist: Candy! No - eat potato chips...

Heart Doctor: Potato chips! No - eat candy...

Just cannot win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was on the bike for over eight hours yesterday. Drank plenty of regular High5 and some other stuff as it was warm, but didn't bother with the salt/electrolyte tablets. Feel fine this morning, if a wee bit weary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

As long as it's not bath salts or Joe Duffy will be after them again.

Advertisement