Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

washing machine dilemma new or used?

Options
  • 05-11-2018 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

We've a holiday home where the old washing machine has packed up - i can pick up a new machine (montpellier, never heard of em)with 2 yrs warranty for 240 ish - used Bosch or Zanussi for 150...whats the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if there is a warranty with the Bosch and the fd number on the door reads something like 9511 you should get your moneys worth out of it. Anyone reading this who has a mobile home as a holiday home with an outside utility shed containing the washing machine etc a good idea is to spray it a few different colours with a rattle can, this usually prevents the machine from being stolen when you are not around

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

I bought a bosch eco silence washing machine about 8 months ago.it constantly brings up e 18 codes despite no blockages in the pump. the rinse is 22 minutes but jumps to 40 or 50 minutes for no reason, the repair fellas been out 3 times and one said he found a screw in the pump even though i had checked earlier and there was definitely no screw in it bosch don't seem to care,this evening i had to drain it my self just so it would spin.this wasn't a cheap machine it was over 500 euro.

go for a second-hand Siemens i wish i had

ann0 wrote: »
    I bought a bosch eco silence washing machine about 8 months ago.it constantly brings up e 18 codes despite no blockages in the pump. the rinse is 22 minutes but jumps to 40 or 50 minutes for no reason, the repair fellas been out 3 times and one said he found a screw in the pump even though i had checked earlier and there was definitely no screw in it bosch don't seem to care,this evening i had to drain it my self just so it would spin.this wasn't a cheap machine it was over 500 euro.

if the machine is not emptying in the reqd time and shows an error there is something blocking the flow of water, assuming the pump is not faulty which is unlikely then the blockage is either between the sump hose or the emptying hose. both of these need removing and thoroughly checked for blockage. If you use dye catchers the blockage is most likely to be at the sump hose. All blockages are down to not checking pockets and making sure they are empty before putting the garment into the washer. Coins etc found in pumps etc invalidate the guarantee, I have had a careless customer recently who couldn't be bothered checking pockets before using her new machine but a 2 Euro coin went straight out through the outer drum, was it covered by guarantee, NO.

Both are virtually 95%the same, Bosch /Siemens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

if the machine is not emptying in the reqd time and shows an error there is something blocking the flow of water, assuming the pump is not faulty which is unlikely then the blockage is either between the sump hose or the emptying hose. both of these need removing and thoroughly checked for blockage. If you use dye catchers the blockage is most likely to be at the sump hose. All blockages are down to not checking pockets and making sure they are empty before putting the garment into the washer. Coins etc found in pumps etc invalidate the guarantee, I have had a careless customer recently who couldn't be bothered checking pockets before using her new machine but a 2 Euro coin went straight out through the outer drum, was it covered by guarantee, NO.

Was on the verge of buying a new washing machine online last Saturday as our 10 year old Zanussi wasn't draining and there was no apparent blockage in the filter.

Did a quick search on good old boards.ie and decided to see if I could remove the drainage pump and get a part number from it.

20 minutes later had the pump in my hand and when looking for the identical pump online noticed a one millimeter tile spacer stuck in the fan type part of the pump.

Removed spacer, replaced pump.

Saved about 400 notes and the wife thinks I'm McGyver.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

My 15 year old washing machine is starting to be a bit like Trigger's Broom, three sets of brushes, two sets of springs, one set of dampers and a drive belt.
    Good as new. ;)

checked everything on the machine even the digital display is acting up. plus i check every pocket before popping into the machine think i just ended up with a faulty machine,

checked everything on the machine even the digital display is acting up. plus i check every pocket before popping into the machine think i just ended up with a faulty machine,

reading back over your original post as the w/m is only 8 months old its not your problem trying to sort it as Bosch washers carry a 2 year warranty, get the retailer to re book a callout and get them ring you say 1 hour before they call and have the machine displaying its error code. It should be a simple fix for the engineer if he is worth his salt, if he cant sort it its time for a chat with the retailer for a replacement. As a freelance engineer without ties to any company I would class the Bosch/Siemens washers as the more reliable machines that can last the pace for up to 8/10 years without very little expense

I've just called the 24-hour line only to be told that is for Australia and that i should call back at 8 oclock am.plus there might be a charge of 95 euro despite the machine is under warranty.i only bought the heap of **** in March

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've just called the 24-hour line only to be told that is for Australia and that i should call back at 8 oclock am.plus there might be a charge of 95 euro despite the machine is under warranty.i only bought the heap of **** in March

Don't talk to the manufacturer, talk to the store who sold it. Bosch are giving you the run around, but you should be dealing with the shop given how new the machine is.

power city in swords told me the last time i went for a repair that it is out of their hands that i would have to contact bosch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

your contract is with the seller, tell them that..

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

back on topic, anyone have experience of Montpellier? Presume theyre a rebadged other brand...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ult1mat3X

If you got budget for new - manage to buy new imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Liam9653

I agree with you. I had a similar situation and Siemens, I have not yet been let down. It was a couple of times that his program started the cycle all over again, but this was only because the electricity was turned off at the time of work :)

Advertisement