Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tyre size for deep section wheels?

Options
  • 19-03-2019 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Just ordered a pair of carbon deep section clinchers.
    Internal width 18mm external width 25mm

Now I know a wide range of tyre sizes should work safely on these wheels but what size tyre would be the most aero?
    I know it won't make a big difference but I might as well get the best tyre for the wheels since I'm ordering a new set.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

tuxy wrote: »
    Just ordered a pair of carbon deep section clinchers.
    Internal width 18mm external width 25mm

Now I know a wide range of tyre sizes should work safely on these wheels but what size tyre would be the most aero?
    I know it won't make a big difference but I might as well get the best tyre for the wheels since I'm ordering a new set.

Guys will debate this but 23mm will give that fast aero motorbike wheel look. For air flow purposes you want to try and minimize bulges.

My deep section are 18/25 also, use Schwalbe Pro Ones with e 25mm on the front and a 23mm on the rear. Had a 25 on the rear but had issues with frame clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So your preference is 25 but you think 23 may be more aero?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I've got FFWD F6R clinchers which are wider than the Cosmics I had replaced them with...I was a bit worried that 23's might be too narrow (remember seeing something where a Mavic engineer said too narrow a Tyre might not sit right on a wider wheel), so anyways I emailed FFWD and they said:
    if I want Aero, fit 23's and if I want comfort, fit 25's.

Cool, that confirms what I've read elsewhere. I also heard 23mm tends to expand to 24mm making it just right for the 25mm external size of the wheel.
    I'm just a bit surprised since 25 and even 28 is what many people are going for now. But comfort is probably most important for the majority as the gain are very marginal.

.... actually just found the email reply in the meantime, just for tbe quote for reference ;)

"Both 23 and 25 can be used on our rims, exactly fort hat reason we have designd the rim to 22,4 mm
    We recommend 23 in case Aero dynamica is of importance for you. In case you would like to create more comfort we recommend 25 mm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

tuxy wrote: »
    So your preference is 25 but you think 23 may be more aero?

No I had fears about fitting 23mm on such a wide rim but had to when I was getting rear clearance problems. Put a 23mm on last August and used it for the remainder of the Autumn before putting the bike into winter hibernation. No problems.

I see, many official guides from the tyre manufactures say that 18mm inner width is too wide for a 23mm but loads of people run that combo and I can't find a single instance of it causing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Continental 4000 sII 23mm will be have at least 25 size. Measured with vernier on 18ertro rim. Also 25 will tend to be just 28mm and 28 over 31mm.

That's my tyre of choice, so 23mm gp 4000 will streach to 25mm which is exactly what I want?

Thanks for the help lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

andy69 wrote: »
    I've got FFWD F6R clinchers .

How do you find them? I'm thinking of getting a set.

• Advertisement

I've another question, does anyone know how 23mm or 25mm gp 5000 would fit?
    Is 23 too small in the newer tyre?

outfox wrote: »
    How do you find them? I'm thinking of getting a set.

Ah they're lovely. They look amazing (I got the black and white ones as the bike was black and white), and now they'll be going on to my new bike later this month as well.
    No issues with them, bearings are long lasting, they don't need tools to service (I replaced the freehub* myself) and the FFWD guys always reply to emails

*I accidentally damaged my freehub, otherwise I'd still have it running and I've about 20,000km on them**

**need to double-check that mileage from Strava but it's up around that anyways

Advertisement