Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best roads in Dublin for learner drivers?

Options
  • 20-03-2019 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Yep, Dublin and learner driver in one header, I know, I know!
    Therefor anyone knows any areas that arent constantly packed where I can practice my driving? Industrial sites or whatever really, I have just been issued my provisional and looking for a quiet area in or around town :) . Gotta start somewhere right ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Phoenix park. Make sure you have a qualified driver with you at all times or the car will be taken off you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Start with your instructor. They will know where to take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

UCD on the weekend will be quiet.

Supermarket car parks are great for practicing parking and reversing. They usually have quiet spots and can be empty after the supermarkets close. There's also the road out to Bull Island, which is a traditional proving ground for practically everyone in NE Dublin, as are the roads around the airport.

To be honest, the best practice you'll get is just being out and about in traffic. You pick up all your habits, both good and bad, in your first few months so it's good to try nail down the stuff that will eventually become muscle memory......position in the road, stopping at lights/taking off again, indicating, etc. Get out nice and early on a Sunday and the roads are usually clear of traffic, makes it that bit easier to get used to road markings and all that sorta stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

On the Northside you can do laps around Ballymun/Glasnevin or Coolock/Beaumont. Industrial estates good to do the basics, up and down , and around and around. Lots of traffic in them at weekends these days with other learners so very good safe practice. I wouldn't sweat the reversing TBH except as part of 3 point turn. Obsess about mirrors, all of them, it will make you a better driver. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 IsaCat

Oh yes of course, have him insured on my car, someone has to tell me what to do anyway :)

Start with your instructor. They will know where to take you.
    That for sure, but you know last thing I need in my first month is full on traffic :) This is more for inbetween and getting used to it

Supermarket car parks are great for practicing parking and reversing. They usually have quiet spots and can be empty after the supermarkets close. There's also the road out to Bull Island, which is a traditional proving ground for practically everyone in NE Dublin, as are the roads around the airport.

To be honest, the best practice you'll get is just being out and about in traffic. You pick up all your habits, both good and bad, in your first few months so it's good to try nail down the stuff that will eventually become muscle memory......position in the road, stopping at lights/taking off again, indicating, etc. Get out nice and early on a Sunday and the roads are usually clear of traffic, makes it that bit easier to get used to road markings and all that sorta stuff.
    Yea thats exactly the idea, just Dublin is so busy, so the car parks are a great idea to practise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Theres a big car park out near Lamb Doyles, there used to be a gym there.

Its completely empty most of the time and ideal for a beginner.

tretorn wrote: »
    Theres a big car park out near Lamb Doyles, there used to be a gym there.

Its completely empty most of the time and ideal for a beginner.
    Nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

The regional roads around the airport, if you're on the north side. This is where my current instructor brought me for my first lesson a couple of months ago in order to assess the current state of my driving. Well, I had had lessons before, but that was four to five years ago and with a different instructor.

It was pretty quiet, maybe because it was on a Sunday. So, as a beginner, it was perfect as I could focus on the mechanics of driving, which helped me get back up to speed (:D) after a gap of so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

My first lesson my instructor got me to drive from Malahide into Dorset Street on a Saturday morning. Park outside their office then drive back on coast road. He gave me a free extra 30 mins for the stop and he was only 2 mins in there. So just practice everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IsaCat wrote: »
    That for sure, but you know last thing I need in my first month is full on traffic :) This is more for inbetween and getting used to it

My second driving lesson started on Dorset Street on a saturday afternoon.

Advertisement