Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help removing chemical stench from refrigerator

Options
  • 18-03-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭

When repairing a hole in the ceiling last week, I dripped some spray-foam insulation onto the top of the refrigerator. Compounding the problem, I then tried to remove that material with 'glue remover', a naptha-based chemical, and put enough on the top of the fridge that it must've gotten into the refrigerator as it now stinks of the material.

We've removed all the food and drawers and cleaned the interior repeatedly with soap and water. I also had a refrigerator repairman out, who disassembled the strip of led's atop the front of the refrigerator, as I suspected this is where the glue remover got in, and indeed it did smell some. Cleaned that too and put it back.

We've been turning the off every hour or so, letting it air out for a half out, turning it on and repeating this, probably a dozen times over the last couple of days. The stench might be slowly weakening at this point. However, it's been nearly a week without the refrigerator, we're making do with space in a neighbor's freezer and a small refrigerator we had in the shed, but really can't go on forever this way.

Two questions:

Is there any way to get the stench to fade sooner? We absolutely won't put food in it for fear of contamination.

The refrigerator is very similar to this one: https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/samsung-rb29fsrndsa-eu-70-30-fridge-freezer-silver-10028698-pdt.html

It seems that maybe the material (the glue remover) has somehow gotten into the condensing coils? And, as it's very volatile, chilling it makes it stay around. Is there any way to access that part of the refrigerator to seek out the material and wash it away? Otherwise, it appear's we'll need to simply replace it with a new refrigerator soon. Total shame, completely avoidable and it's been a good reliable refrigerator for the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Hi,
    I’m not sure if this will work for a chemical smell, but a cup of instant coffee (no water, just the granules) worked for me. There was a rotten smell in the fridge from being plugged out for months, had scrubbed it with everything! Left the cup in overnight and fridge is perfect now. Again, it may not work for a chemical smell but worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lemonee_ wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m not sure if this will work for a chemical smell, but a cup of instant coffee (no water, just the granules) worked for me. There was a rotten smell in the fridge from being plugged out for months, had scrubbed it with everything! Left the cup in overnight and fridge is perfect now. Again, it may not work for a chemical smell but worth a try!

Thanks. Maybe activated carbon will work. Now trying to find it in Kerry

Igotadose wrote: »
    Thanks. Maybe activated carbon will work. Now trying to find it in Kerry
    Try any place that sells pet products and look in the aquarium section, activated carbon/charcoal is used in fish tank filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cut a lemon in half and leave in the fridge door or shelf.

Clean it out with vinegar also should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Nothing to loose by cutting an onion in half and leaving it in there. Old trick when painting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Talked with a couple repair types this a.m.. Seems like the 'goo' is condensing onto the evaporator unit, and maybe that needs to be cleaned. Now trying to find someone to do the job. Hopefully set to rights soon. Also will be getting some activated carbon soon from a petshop.

Advertisement