Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to find a GP accepting new patients

Options
  • 27-02-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭

I may be relocating in the near future and after making some initial enquiries there are no GPs in the areas willing to accept you with a medical card. How can I handle this?
    I cant drive and I have a chronic condition so I need a local GP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Gael23 wrote: »
    I may be relocating in the near future and after making some initial enquiries there are no GPs in the areas willing to accept you with a medical card. How can I handle this?
    I cant drive and I have a chronic condition so I need a local GP.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/gps-who-accept-medical-cards.html

If your GP of choice is not on the list, they might not currently be accepting additional patients.

If you can’t get a GP to accept you on their patient list, try another GP in your area.

Contact us if 3 GPs have declined to accept you on to their patient list. We will assign you a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do I have any say in what GP they assign me to?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

No - just consider yourself lucky to have been assigned !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Do I have any say in what GP they assign me to?

No, and the GP has no say either !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Email or post a cover letter with the names and addresses of 3 GPs who refused you along with your details to clientregistration@hse.ie or Client Reg Unit PO Box 11745 Dublin 11

HSE will auto assign you a GP and no you dont get a say really unless there is mitigating circumstances.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    No, and the GP has no say either !

Do Doctors get assigned patients like this often Rob?
    I guess being a young guy I would be more at ease discussing certain things with a male GP, but maybe I'm being stupid with that.

What would be considered mitigating circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Hi. My dad can't get GP in South East. He has no medical card. Can he get assigned one this way? Thanks.

Do Doctors get assigned patients like this often Rob?
    I guess being a young guy I would be more at ease discussing certain things with a male GP, but maybe I'm being stupid with that.

Youd have to contact your local health office to ask more about that. But usually something like if someone was pregnant or if their GP was not willing to see them because of certain issues

Hi. My dad can't get GP in South East. He has no medical card. Can he get assigned one this way? Thanks.

Yes the fastest way would be via email. They are currently about a week or two behind with auto assigning GPs but has a quick enough turnaround

Where exactly? I’m in that area too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If you have no medical card you cannot be assigned a GP.
    Its a problem that is going to become more of an issue as the shortage of GP's is being ignored by the powers that be...

Depending on where a GP is base they are all getting assigned patients, some area's much more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Yes the fastest way would be via email. They are currently about a week or two behind with auto assigning GPs but has a quick enough turnaround

Gael23 wrote:
    Where exactly? I’m in that area too.

RobFowl wrote:
    If you have no medical card you cannot be assigned a GP. Its a problem that is going to become more of an issue as the shortage of GP's is being ignored by the powers that be...

RobFowl wrote:
    Depending on where a GP is base they are all getting assigned patients, some area's much more than others.

That's all a bit worrying.
    He's in Wexford, a doctor took him on for 6 months b4 Dr. retires. Other local docs won't take him.

Thanks for replies, good thread op!

That's all a bit worrying.
    He's in Wexford, a doctor took him on for 6 months b4 Dr. retires. Other local docs won't take him.

Thanks for replies, good thread op!

There are no GPS in south Wexford taking new patients at all

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

I'm really sorry to say this, but given how bad things are at the moment, I wouldn't go down this route, particularly as it is likely to generate extra work for an already overworked system.
    There are huge demands and difficulties facing GPs at the moment and the HSE are suffering from similar inadequate resources.

As Rob says above, the powers that be have put their heads in the sand on this. The access to any sort of non-private healthcare is becoming a huge issue.

We have moved into a time where having any access at all to a GP is to be considered a luxury.

Not stupid, this is entirely understandable but not something you need to worry about. Doctors are used to hearing about all sorts of problems from all sorts of people. If they have completed their training, they will have dealt with an awful lot of situations. There is almost nothing you can say or show that they haven't seen, heard or heard of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herculina Chatwind

I have been in Ireland 16 months and at 68 years old, still enjoyed good health. I have now however developed a worrisome condition and cannot believe that gps can actually refuse new patients. Is there a legal limit to the number of patients a doctor can have? I live in Passage West, Cork and can find no doctor willing to see me. I have no medical card or health insurance. What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herculina Chatwind

• Registered Users Posts: 24,872 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why can’t you believe it ? they can only work so many hours a week, see so many patients..

my GP surgery took on an extra GP… and still if I call today, Wednesday to get an appointment it might be Monday or most likely Tuesday before I can see a doctor…. I am no longer guaranteed to see ‘MY’ GP…. It can be any of the other junior guys who have availability…is that fair ? The surgery is over subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why have you moved here a little over a year ago and not had the means to support yourself health wise and expecting Ireland to support you in health matters that will likely get progressively worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

It's hard enough to change GPs if you are a private patient. Not many GPs are taking on any new patients at the moment regardless if they are public or private. You have to wait about a week for an appointment. It's only going to get worse.

• Administrators Posts: 13,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Some areas have walk-in GP services like Doctor 365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

The fact GPs are burnt out, exhausted, and saying No to accepting new patients is a sign the system is broken.

I have had 11 x rejections in trying to find a GP for my cousin ( suicidal at moment ). He is an Irish citizen. His GP retired some years ago and the GP's replacement doctor refused to see him as he is not accepting new patients.

I honestly belief this refusal is breaking the Hippocratic oath!

My cousin was admitted to hospital after a suicide attempt and turfed out the next day, so it is on me to monitor and care for him. Many Irish citizens are taking on the care of their Loved ones without any support from the health system.

Not sure if the problem is that Gp's are not getting reimbursed enough? Research indicates newly qualified interns are all emigrating to countries that offer them better financial deals ( esp for rural areas ) and honour and respect the service they provide.

I have no answers except pay private and search outside your area. Having a Medical card confines a person to search within a local area.

The walk in clinics charge extortionist rates , seem to be run by foreigners who are cashing in on the gaping holes in Irish Health care; basically providing referrals and simple prescribing ( but no follow ups or overall health checks) .... from my experience. You are treated as a commodity in these facilities, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Passage West isn't far from Carrigaline there's plenty of surgery's there have u tried? There's also a walk in clinic in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's utterly bizarre isn't it? If you're one of the many citizens who just pay when they go to see a GP, then if you move to an area where there's a shortage, you're bollixed. Meanwhile those who don't pay and who the state provide medical cards to, in the same situation do have an entry point.

How screwed up is that?

BTW we currently pay and are on the books for a good few years. But because we pay, we tend to go only when needed. Often struck pre Covid in the waiting room by the numbers also waiting who were medical card holders, they seemed to go for every little thing. Maybe that's a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

The system is definitely broken. It's really not a matter of reimbursement though. Just resources and having a proper working environment.

I've become one of the many who has left recently. It really had nothing to do with money. I just wanted to no longer be treated with blatant hostility and to actually be supported to do my job.

And while I am sorry that you're finding it so hard to access medical care for your cousin - this picture is repeated across the entire country and is solely due to extremely poor planning across the entire Irish health system (you can't blame the HSE entirely - it's everyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

I am also a health care professional who has left, so I understand unsupportive working environments and the pressure, stress, burn-out, such jobs entail.

I don't think I blamed the HSE in my post :)

I wish Ireland could copy the system of a more efficient Health Care system, from another country like France etc. but I know this is an oversimplified solution.

I had wondered if GPs got paid an hourly rate , rather than it being based on the volume of patients they see ( larger volume = more stress) would it alleviate the burnout and stress? but I admit I don't know or understand how all that works.

It's a shame but my observations are are that those who have a heart, and care, working in the health system, burn out quicker than those who don't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If certs are needed these can only issue 3. (Well that's what they told me)

I was 19 months trying to get a doctor before a chance meeting one in public and asking her could she take me on.

Even though I got my head split open at work I was on half pay because I couldn't provide certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Why don't you shove it up your hole he has his own reasons no need to explain to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Crazy unfair country to workers and taxpayers.

Mod Edit

Not going to allow this discussion to go down the rabbit hole of blaming a vunerable group of people.

Rob

Post edited by RobFowl on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As in beggars cannot be choosers..

I live offshore and no "real" choice re who we register with. Takes a lot of perseverance else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement