Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Compatibility Question

Options
  • 12-03-2019 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

So I've an old bike and need to make hills easier (we'll consider losing weight off my fat ass a last resort).

Up front is 10spd 105 5600 53 39 chainset, same gen 105 shifters.

Behind is Ultegra 6600 short cage derailleur on 11-28.

I understand 11-28 is the maximum I should put on the short cage.

Because the stuff is so old I can't find direct replacements at the usual Wiggle/CRC places and my head is a bit melted trying to understand what I can buy that will work as it seems everything has moved on to 11spd. I'll note the bike is an old Triban 5 and it's not worth spending big money on.

Can someone point me to a cheap 50 34 chainset that will work with my shifters? or failing that a medium cage RD that would work with the shifters so I can swap out to an 11-32. Or am I just better off saving my pennies as I was thinking of buying new towards the end of the year/NY sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-105-fc5750-10-speed-compact-chainrings/rp-prod116086

Going by the comments there it was possible to use them as a replacement for 5600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057946791/1/#post109154432

6600 50/34 for €30.

See if you can get a 9sp mtb rd on eBay adverts.

2nd market is best option other than new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm over in Australia so adverts won't work otherwise I'd be all over that. Might just post in a few cycling groups over here to see if they've any spares otherwise I'll just htfu (and stay on level ground) and get a new bike later in the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The new tiagra chainset will work and should be easily found online if not in a shop

Weepsie wrote: »
    The new tiagra chainset will work and should be easily found online if not in a shop

Is that: https://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-tiagra-4700-chainset-au/

I thought I read somewhere that despite being 10spd they'd changed the shifter pull or does that matter as much for the front derailleur? I don't mind shonky front shifting as long as it gets on and off both cogs easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is that: https://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-tiagra-4700-chainset-au/

I thought I read somewhere that despite being 10spd they'd changed the shifter pull or does that matter as much for the front derailleur? I don't mind shonky front shifting as long as it gets on and off both cogs easily enough.

Yup. Doesn't make a difference with the chainset. If you were to change the shifters to 4700 you'd need to change the derailleurs, but you can just go ahead and use the chainset as is on your bike. A little adjustment will be needed to the front derailleur.

I've a 5600 groupset on the commuter with that chainset

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yup. Doesn't make a difference with the chainset. If you were to change the shifters to 4700 you'd need to change the derailleurs, but you can just go ahead and use the chainset as is on your bike. A little adjustment will be needed to the front derailleur.

I've a 5600 groupset on the commuter with that chainset

Perfect. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Gerry wrote: »
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-105-fc5750-10-speed-compact-chainrings/rp-prod116086

Going by the comments there it was possible to use them as a replacement for 5600

I'm afraid that won't work.
    53/39 chainrings are 130 BCD, 50/34 chainrings are 110BCD

You have 53/39 so your cranks are 130BCD. The 50/34 rings won't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

So I've an old bike and need to make hills easier (we'll consider losing weight off my fat ass a last resort).

Up front is 10spd 105 5600 53 39 chainset, same gen 105 shifters.

Behind is Ultegra 6600 short cage derailleur on 11-28.

I understand 11-28 is the maximum I should put on the short cage.

Because the stuff is so old I can't find direct replacements at the usual Wiggle/CRC places and my head is a bit melted trying to understand what I can buy that will work as it seems everything has moved on to 11spd. I'll note the bike is an old Triban 5 and it's not worth spending big money on.

Can someone point me to a cheap 50 34 chainset that will work with my shifters? or failing that a medium cage RD that would work with the shifters so I can swap out to an 11-32. Or am I just better off saving my pennies as I was thinking of buying new towards the end of the year/NY sales.

What a great excuse to buy a new bike :D

What a great excuse to buy a new bike :D

I've been explaining N+1 to the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you are planning on getting a new bike I'd still stick a wanted ad up in the adverts forum here - lots of spare parts lying around in sheds so you could pick up used for relatively little outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭C3PO

You can use a 12/30 cassette on a short-cage derailleur if that would help!

C3PO wrote: »
    You can use a 12/30 cassette on a short-cage derailleur if that would help!

The universe has provided. Tiagra 50/34 chainset used twice just went up on facebook market for $100 but he'll take $80 (new it's $118) so picking it up tomorrow.

Hoping that will be enough to let me spin up some tougher hills without further changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Stick on a roadlink hanger extender to make your rear mech GS equivalent. You can then use a 32 range cassette no problems. I bought a few of them before from an eBay seller colorfulcc17 for £2.87 each.

gman2k wrote: »
    Stick on a roadlink hanger extender to make your rear mech GS equivalent. You can then use a 32 range cassette no problems. I bought a few of them before from an eBay seller colorfulcc17 for £2.87 each.

That's interesting.... 32 on the back would be the same gearing effectively.

Would I likely need a new chain? Do you need to be careful about what gear you're in in case you break the derailleur (big to big)

EDIT: actually I'll stick with the new chainset. The existing one is pretty sharktoothed as it is. Probably doesn't have much left in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That's interesting.... 32 on the back would be the same gearing effectively.

Would I likely need a new chain? Do you need to be careful about what gear you're in in case you break the derailleur (big to big)

EDIT: actually I'll stick with the new chainset. The existing one is pretty sharktoothed as it is. Probably doesn't have much left in it anyway.

I have one of these or similar. Yes you probably would need a chain, going to 32.
    No other issues. I avoid bits big, but going into that gear is not a problem.

Advertisement