Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild camping suggestion

Options
  • 10-06-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

As above looking for any suggestions on where to go wild camping. Small group of 6 all aged 30+. Usually go away for the weekend to the usual towns but want to try something different.

Wont be drinking or loud music or any of that crap just want to get out into the country for a night of fresh air and relaxation

Any spots around laois kildare offaly wicklow wexford. Dont want to impede on any farmers or land owners or be of any nuisance to the regular hikers walkers

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bobbie78

You could try Riverhollow nature reserve its on the border with kilkenny and wexford not far from new ross. Its a small forested area on the bank of the river barrow owned by a guy called john o brien he has it set up for wild camping i think he charges 10 euro a head per night and you can buy your fire wood from him or bring your own. it has its own carpark aswell so no need to worry about the car been broken into. you can contact john on a facebook page called " in the wild campsite" you will see plenty of pics on there of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

bobbie78 wrote: »
    You could try Riverhollow nature reserve its on the border with kilkenny and wexford not far from new ross. Its a small forested area on the bank of the river barrow owned by a guy called john o brien he has it set up for wild camping i think he charges 10 euro a head per night and you can buy your fire wood from him or bring your own. it has its own carpark aswell so no need to worry about the car been broken into. you can contact john on a facebook page called " in the wild campsite" you will see plenty of pics on there of the place.

thanks bobbie

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'm sure you could find somewhere quiet up the Slieve Blooms. If you arrive in the evening and pack up before before 11am I'm sure noone will notice

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulme

bobbie78 wrote: »

Great suggestion Bobbie,

Stayed there at the weekend, and it's a beautiful spot. John is a sound guy, really helpful.

Anybody know any other similar places anywhere in Ireland? Love wild camping, but sometimes I head out with my sister, and I'd be a bit nervous to go somewhere properly wild with just me and a woman. You hear horror stories y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

How much did it end up costing? Was thinking of bringing the 2 kids and myself for their first wild camp in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement

How much did it end up costing? Was thinking of bringing the 2 kids and myself for their first wild camp in a couple of weeks

€10 for adults and €2.50 for kids. He can only be contacted through Facebook, as he prefers to be able to see who is making the booking. This is to help avoid trouble makers.

I'd advise you to head there early enough to get a good spot, most of the pitches are pretty small.

The place is lovely, but I think midges will be an issue when the weather gets warmer. Be prepared.

Hope you have a great camping trip. Let us know how the kids enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

paulme wrote: »
    €10 for adults and €2.50 for kids. He can only be contacted through Facebook, as he prefers to be able to see who is making the booking. This is to help avoid trouble makers.

I'd advise you to head there early enough to get a good spot, most of the pitches are pretty small.

The place is lovely, but I think midges will be an issue when the weather gets warmer. Be prepared.

Will let you know. Heading up in about 4 weeks time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

paulme wrote: »

Do you know if fishing is permitted there?

I don't know, to be honest. You'd have to send him a pm on Facebook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LICENCES: A state licence is only required to fish for salmon and sea trout. All-Ireland salmon fishing licence – €100 per year, salmon district licence – €56 per year, 21 – day All Ireland or district salmon fishing licence – €40, Under 17 All- Ireland salmon fishing licence – €10 one day, All-Ireland salmon fishing licence – €20.

https://carlowtourism.com/angling-rivers-barrow-slaney/

• Advertisement
Advertisement