Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I know before buying my first bike?

Options
  • 28-01-2019 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm buying my first bike and want to spend about €500~ ish on a hybrid or hybrid-mtb. I don't want a full on mtb with huge tyres.

Mostly for cycling the countryside roads, hills, and laneways/gentle trails.

Probably wont use it more than once or twice a week. Not for commuting just for fun when the weather gets better.

I want something durable and sturdy. I'm well able to cycle and maintain bikes as I spent my teenage years and childhood riding them and often rent them for greenways etc.

But I'm fairly out of the loop at this stage.

Can somebody recommend me brands to start with or what to avoid? I will be going into a shop to be measured up properly etc before making the purchase. Just wanted to ask the people in the know here first.

Last thing I want to do is be duped by a shop into buying something that just wont hold up or will suffer from flat tyres a lot etc.
    Should I avoid the likes of Giant?

This looks like a solid bet. https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-mtx-8-6-hybrid-bike-black

or maybe
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-crossfire-2-mens-hybrid-bike-black-17-19-21-frames

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Dunno why you would want to avoid Giant, they make pretty decent bikes IMHO. Giant and Trek are like the Toyotos of the cycle world: you might not get a fantastic one, but you wont get a terrible one either: they are a safe bet.
    The second hand market is great for buying bikes with a load of people offloading Bike to Work bikes at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Keep an eye on adverts and the likes of done deal to pick up a better spec or more bits and bobs for your buck, as long as you are ok with riding something second hand. If you get in to it and really start to enjoy it, you could put the money saved towards a new bike then with a higher degree of confidence it wouldn't be wasted.

See for example this one for €200

OTBjOTM1YmQ0M2I0NTE2ZmJjMDQxMGJmMjY5YmE5MGTcQeYkez4qUW5ZV2o2FJjBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTU0ODQ2ODZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Both bikes you listed would be fine for what you suggest you will be using them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

the main thing you should know, is that it doesnt stop with one bike. Good luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boardman = Halfords own brand
    Carrera is the same.

Not sure why you'd stray away from a bike company to a car company to buy a bike.

Halfords are known for sh1tty service and not knowing one thing about what they're selling. IMO avoid avoid avoid.

If you're near Cycle Superstore they're good as their range is wider than smaller LBS who may try to sell you what they have instead of what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Thanks for the replies all.
    Dunno why you would want to avoid Giant, they make pretty decent bikes IMHO. Giant and Trek are like the Toyotos of the cycle world: you might not get a fantastic one, but you wont get a terrible one either: they are a safe bet.
    The second hand market is great for buying bikes with a load of people offloading Bike to Work bikes at the moment.

I only say that is because growing up I mostly had giant bikes and by god they were terrible. So I kind of made the assumption that they're **** bikes for zipping around the neighborhood on.
    ED E wrote: »
    Carrera is the same.

Not sure why you'd stray away from a bike company to a car company to buy a bike.

Halfords are known for sh1tty service and not knowing one thing about what they're selling. IMO avoid avoid avoid.

If you're near Cycle Superstore they're good as their range is wider than smaller LBS who may try to sell you what they have instead of what you need.

Only linked halfords as they were the easiest online selection of bikes to browse and filter, for Ireland at least. I'm pretty sure I will be avoiding them.
    I'm not dublin based. SE based.
    Keep an eye on adverts and the likes of done deal to pick up a better spec or more bits and bobs for your buck, as long as you are ok with riding something second hand. If you get in to it and really start to enjoy it, you could put the money saved towards a new bike then with a higher degree of confidence it wouldn't be wasted.

See for example this one for €200

Both bikes you listed would be fine for what you suggest you will be using them for.

Yeah was thinking of second hand but the cycle to work scheme is very appealing to me and I'm lacking all the gear so a new bike and package for convenience is attractive. Got a direct link to that advert for btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Got a direct link to that advert for btw?

Just one of the bikes available second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ED E wrote: »
    Carrera is the same.
    Carrera is Halford own but Boardman is standalone. Not even all it's bikes are offered through Halfords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Carrera is Halford own but Boardman is standalone. Not even all it's bikes are offered through Halfords.
    boardman bikes is owned by halfords. has been for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

the cycle to work scheme is very appealing to me and I'm lacking all the gear so a new bike and package for convenience is attractive.

If you're doing bike to work, spend all of it on a decent bike 'cos you'll get the rest online cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Macy0161 wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/04/boardman-bikes-halford-acquisition

• Advertisement
Advertisement