Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Dublin Weekly Commute

Options
  • 15-11-2017 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I’m just wondering are there many folks undertaking this commute (specifically rail/bus)? What’s it like? Pros/Cons?

Just curious as considering relocating to home.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume you mean commute up to Dublin for the week and then back down to Cork for the weekend (or vice versa).

A lot of folks do it, lots of college students do.

It is ok, but a bit tiring after a couple of months of it. It sucks up a lot of your weekend.

Bus, either GoBE/Aircoach are probably the best option. Depending on where you are going, pretty much the same journey time all in as the train, but WAY cheaper, specially if you are going once a week. You'd save enough for a good holiday!

If you drive, then you door to door time would be much faster then rail/bus, but then you can't work/play while you drive like you can on a bus/train.

I'm a Corkonian living in Dublin, don't do it every weekend, but about once a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Timing is key to the road travel - I live in Cork and work in Dublin so commute every Friday evening & Sunday or Monday return.

I normally drive as its too much hassle either getting into town or the Airport to pick up the coach, but either way if you hit the M50/Naas Road near rush hour it can easily add an hour onto the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RWNS

bk wrote: »
    I assume you mean commute up to Dublin for the week and then back down to Cork for the weekend (or vice versa).

A lot of folks do it, lots of college students do.

It is ok, but a bit tiring after a couple of months of it. It sucks up a lot of your weekend.

Bus, either GoBE/Aircoach are probably the best option. Depending on where you are going, pretty much the same journey time all in as the train, but WAY cheaper, specially if you are going once a week. You'd save enough for a good holiday!

If you drive, then you door to door time would be much faster then rail/bus, but then you can't work/play while you drive like you can on a bus/train.

I'm a Corkonian living in Dublin, don't do it every weekend, but about once a month now.

I’m currently working up here, but looking to get home come June full time pending on availability of work.

What I meant is commuting Monday to Friday daily. I’m just wondering is there anyone that does it and how they manage it on a daily basis.

Lease is up in the place I’m staying so weighing up the idea of commuting over paying high rent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh, god, no!

I think it would be pretty much impossible, too far! You would basically be talking about roughly 8 hours of commuting a day!!!! Not a hope. Not good for your mental or physical health, don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You couldn't do it daily.. you're talking 2.5 hours easily each way and that'd be without traffic and not going into the city centre area

The cost would be huge. I commute roughly half that trip and it's still about €400-450 a month in diesel alone. The extra wear and tear and mileage on the car would be massive as well

You'd be physically and mentally exhausted after a month, and then expected to do a day's work as well?

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You couldn't do it daily.. you're talking 2.5 hours easily each way and that'd be without traffic and not going into the city centre area

The cost would be huge. I commute roughly half that trip and it's still about €400-450 a month in diesel alone. The extra wear and tear and mileage on the car would be massive as well

You'd be physically and mentally exhausted after a month, and then expected to do a day's work as well?

Cheers, for the pointers folks. I’ve been doing it for nearly a week now (Train wise). It’s tough alright and I’ll prob head down the route in finding a new place. Just wanted to see if ppl have been doing it and weigh up the merits of it.

RWNS wrote: »
    Cheers, for the pointers folks. I’ve been doing it for nearly a week now (Train wise). It’s tough alright and I’ll prob head down the route in finding a new place. Just wanted to see if ppl have been doing it and weigh up the merits of it.

How long is it taking you on the train? What kinda costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

What does it say about our rail network that whenever I see a question like this asked people immediately and casually dismiss rail as an option without a second thought?

I look at that black hole in demand....then the price of tickets for Cork...have IE ever tried cutting the fares on routes like this and seeing if they get more uptake?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    How long is it taking you on the train? What kinda costs?

For the week the train all in cost me 200 but that was booking via Irish Rail for daily tickets and not in advance.

I’ve looked into monthly and annual cost through Taxsaver.ie and you can get monthly (535) and annual (2100) tickets in the above regions. It would be a considerable saving to go annual. It’s taking an average of 5hrs train time and then 40mins total commute via bike to work and back.

I’m fortunate that my starting hours are varied on certain days but Monday’s and thursdays I have to be in for 9, which is fine if there’s no delays. I’m not overally gone on it and not gonna lie looking forward to the weekend.

If only we had an express service 1/1 half hour service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus OP I drive a truck for a living and if I have to take a load from Cork to Dublin and return I do be banjaxed not to mind do a days work when I get there!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

I do that run daily at the moment, you'd be surprised how many of the same faces are on that 6.15 train from Cork every day lol, it is very heavy going, you will find you have very little personal time, I leave home at 5.45 and dont get back till after 8pm most days, in terms of doing it every day the train is the least draining, its only 30-40 mins faster than the bus (assuming the bus does not get caught in heavy traffic on the M7 which can play havoc with journey times) but on an every day basis that extra few mins you are not travelling makes a big difference, weather thats worth the price difference is an individual choice really.
    9 out of 10 times for travel between Dublin and Cork I recommend Aircoach or GoBE, but to do it every day I strongly recommend the train, and even then that comes with a health warning that it takes a lot out and you will need to structure your time wisely to do it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jack33

Also planning on doing that trip next year. Have you moved house yet or are you still
    doing the trip? Has it got any easier? I'm hoping to get some flexibility where I'm working
    once I settle in eg. work from home a couple of days a week. Wouldn't consider doing it for
    very long if the flexibility isn't forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Sorry to resurrect a old thread, just curious about how people are getting on with the Cork to Dublin Commute a year on!

Are ye still doing it? Is it manageable?

rounders wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect a old thread, just curious about how people are getting on with the Cork to Dublin Commute a year on!

I managed it for about a month and to be honest it was tough going. It’s very heavy going in the sense of early morning starts and late returns. It impacts your quality of life not to mention your health in the long term. In the end I just sorted a place out in Dublin.

From my experience there wasn’t a massive commuting community going from Cork to Dublin daily (5:45am train). However, from Limerick junction onwards there was a considerable amount of familiar faces commuting daily.

In my opinion I don’t think it’s manageable long term to do it Mon to Fri daily.

rounders wrote: »

Three years in and still doing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Three years in and still doing it :(

Is that as in from cork city to Dublin everyday? That’s an incredible commute considering we don’t even have a high speed electric line.

road_high wrote: »
    Is that as in from cork city to Dublin everyday? That’s an incredible commute considering we don’t even have a high speed electric line.

Not every day, its normally up on a Monday/Tuesday and back Thursday or Friday but still a fair slog

Not every day, its normally up on a Monday/Tuesday and back Thursday or Friday but still a fair slog

I could handle that myself but then I do 140km (down from 200km in the last few months) daily, and a longer spin at the weekends.

Time of day and the car make a HUGE difference though. I generally avoid the worst of the traffic each way, and have a big high-spec comfortable saloon which eats the miles effortlessly (3.0 TDI Quattro Audi A6). It means you can do a 160km trip and still get out feeling fresh.

If I was doing that sort of mileage in your average 1.4/1.6 boggo-spec Toyota it'd be a very different matter. You definitely need to think about the car under you if commuting any sort of distance daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Under current permanent way speed restrictions what is the absolute shortest duration a non-stop 22k set from Kent to Heuston assuming no other trains get in the way ? I presume it would be close to 1'50 if the paths were there to do an unchecked run

Advertisement