Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Carbon Wheels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cionn wrote: »
    Tbh I think that type of argument is over the top. Medicines (a different industry for sure, but subject to a higher regulation threshold ) generic medicine is the same as the branded ones but significantly cheaper.
    With a bit of research and common sense you should be able to limit the risk, cheaper price for non branded product.

Generic drugs are exact copies of the originals where the patent expired 10 or 20 years ago, so if they same applied to carbon bicycle parts you'd be purchasing a product which may have been designed back in the late 90's!

The point is also that with a branded product you are buying peace of mind that the quality is of the highest standard, consistent performance and safety of the design and great warranty backup...You're basically buying a replica of a tried and tested product when you buy cheap from the likes of Alibaba site..

With the "open design" products you never know what you will get, could be a well put together product, but could fail within a year or so also...
    A frame could look the same as say a Specialized Venge but may be as heavy as an alloy frame due to how the frame was joined together, heavier lugs, poor carbon layup...etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Generic drugs are still regulated and tested.

I'd say it's more like buying illicit drugs, you don't really know what it's been cut with, even if it looks the same on the outside.

And they're more likely to leave you in the back of an ambulance!

I've bought cheap electronics from alibaba before, they were those portable speakers, looked identical to the real thing but a fraction of the price. Of course, I ordered 2, only 1 worked...opened up the dud and it was a case of crappy soldering, wires were hanging off.

If you think "but carbon wheels aren't as complicated as electronics" I'd seriously question whether you should be buying them.

Like someone said, if you just want nicer and better wheels but not for racing, a reliable, easily serviceable aluminium clincher is the way to go. I've got some hand-builts that I love, they don't look super sexy but do you really care when you're riding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Do all cycling related discussions always have to end up discussing drugs ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Thanks for all the input
    Will sit tight for a while until I get a little more info
    Kind of freaked out at the horror stories as I'm not the smallest rider 6'3 95kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

thekooman wrote: »
    I bought a set of 50mm carbon clinchers handbuilt off the spokesmanwheels.co.uk last year and they are great. have been on some bad roads and take the abuse so far. built on Novatech hubs and weigh about 1500g. all delivered for 670 euro. they are a Chinese (everything is!) Carbonal carbon rim. No customs and 20£ delivery from the UK.

I did a huge amount of research before buying a set of deep section wheels. First looked at brands and came to the conclusion that CRCs Prime wheels were among the best value out there. Then looked at wheelbuilders and came to the conclusion that the best value outside of China (which I wasn't ready for) was through Mark from spokesmanwheels.co.uk

Got a recent delivery of new Carbonal 50mm carbon clinchers which are a little more expensive and a little heavier than those above but the rim supposedly takes tubeless tyres easier. Wheelset, 2 spare spokes, tubeless valves and fitted tubeless rim tape came in at 740 euro (Mark's price was 607 sterling but bank screwed with fees and exchange rate on direct transfer).

The set including the heavier duty rim tape weight 1537g. Have only used them twice (110km club spin and 80min of club racing) but initial impressions are that they are a solid and very responsive set of wheels. Running with Swisstop black prince carbon pads and will get a better idea of braking over time but didn't notice any shortcomings so far.

They are 25mm wide, have that toroidal aero shape and to be honest I cannot see any difference between them and the likes of Zipp which are twice the price. These impressions may well change over time but for now all seems good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

thecycleclinic.co.uk and dcrwheels.co.uk have introduced their own branded aluminium & carbon rims and dcr have their own branded hubs. According to them, they are made in the far east in the same factories to the same standards as some well known brands. Money is saved by cutting out layers from the supply chain by building and selling them directly.

There are a growing number of ' artisan ' builders doing the same ( wheelsmith, hunt etc ) - spa cycles have being doing the same with frames for years. I've had wheelsets built by both thecycleclinic and dcr - have just recently bought a wheelset from dcr with their own branded hubs. Quality so far is just as good as some of the higher end counterparts but at a lower price with additional features such as extra sealing for wet weather. Tailoring the product to the local climate is a good additional selling point.

I think these small builders are a better alternative to the alibaba sellers, with prices falling somewhere in between them and the established brands without compromising on quality.

Would be good to see someone in Ireland doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

OleRodrigo wrote: »

there is afaik. luas wheels - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057663251

Good stuff. Does he do aluminium clinchers as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Gallagher cycles in Donegal are doing similar too. But neither them or LUAS look to be doing anything other than buying in wheels and selling them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd find it hard to believe any of those stores advertising on donedeal aren't just acting as middlemen. Also I'd say the wheel builders are sourcing their carbon hoops from sellers such as hongfu etc.

Sure there's a lad on donedeal selling cycling glasses and bottle cages from aliexpress at 10 times the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd find it hard to believe any of those stores advertising on donedeal aren't just acting as middlemen. Also I'd say the wheel builders are sourcing their carbon hoops from sellers such as hongfu etc.

Sure there's a lad on donedeal selling cycling glasses and bottle cages from aliex inpress at 10 times the price.

Yup and plenty more on adverts selling crap cree lights too

thecycleclinic.co.uk and dcrwheels.co.uk have introduced their own branded aluminium & carbon rims and dcr have their own branded hubs. According to them, they are made in the far east in the same factories to the same standards as some well known brands. Money is saved by cutting out layers from the supply chain by building and selling them directly.

There are a growing number of ' artisan ' builders doing the same ( wheelsmith, hunt etc ) - spa cycles have being doing the same with frames for years. I've had wheelsets built by both thecycleclinic and dcr - have just recently bought a wheelset from dcr with their own branded hubs. Quality so far is just as good as some of the higher end counterparts but at a lower price with additional features such as extra sealing for wet weather. Tailoring the product to the local climate is a good additional selling point.

I think these small builders are a better alternative to the alibaba sellers, with prices falling somewhere in between them and the established brands without compromising on quality.

Had looked at both cycleclinic and DCR as well and was very close to buying from DCR but found there was slightly better value from spokesman.

Both wheelsmith and hunt seem to have great reputations (hunt in particular have a great marketing department) but were a fair bit pricier They both give the impression of being flat out which is probably why they can hike the prices. Spokesman is a smaller operation (mark builds the wheels, his wife does the admin) and I liked this as I was able to chat to him beforehand and know who would be building the wheels.

The hoops all come from China of course but in the cases of these builders there reputation is at stake and you have to assume they know how to pick a good rim. And presumably if there are problems they'll hear back quick enough and will source elsewhere.

As mentioned above it would be great to have a talented Irish builder or 2 operating in the same market.

Nice. What wheels did you get from spokesman?

Nice. What wheels did you get from spokesman?

Basically it was

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Carbonal-50mm-deep-x-25mm-wide-carbon-clinchers-Novatec-hubs-/162156494284?hash=item25c147bdcc

with the superlight front hub option except that the rim was sligtlly newer than the one shown here. It was the April2017 delivery listed at

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/current-stock/

Basically it was

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Carbonal-50mm-deep-x-25mm-wide-carbon-clinchers-Novatec-hubs-/162156494284?hash=item25c147bdcc

with the superlight front hub option except that the rim was sligtlly newer than the one shown here. It was the April2017 delivery listed at

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/current-stock/

They look great, well wear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Got a recent delivery of new Carbonal 50mm carbon clinchers which are a little more expensive and a little heavier than those above but the rim supposedly takes tubeless tyres easier. Wheelset, 2 spare spokes, tubeless valves and fitted tubeless rim tape came in at 740 euro (Mark's price was 607 sterling but bank screwed with fees and exchange rate on direct transfer).

Use revolut, transfermate, transferwise etc when paying in other currency. Banks are a bad joke

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

So with Yeoleo and Farsport now having a lot of their Wheel sets UCI certified and a British team using them as their official Wheel supplier will peoples minds change on these?

I have taken a punt on Farsport 60mm deep 25mm wide with CX ray bladed spokes and DTswiss hubs. Awaiting delivery but will report back when they arrive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Delivered to the door, how much did the yeoleo wheels cost?

jntsnk wrote: »
    Delivered to the door, how much did the yeoleo wheels cost?

I didn't get Yeoleos i got Farsport. Delivered to the door for 673 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I didn't get Yeoleos i got Farsport. Delivered to the door for 673 euro.

With customs?

• Advertisement

12 element wrote: »
    With customs?

I'll send you a PM on the breakdown of cost but to my knowledge its all in. Wheels have not arrived but as far as i know this is the final price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Seems a bit high for a FOB price out of China. The VAT is normally applied at point of entry into Ireland.

So the wheels arrived. Just finished fitting rim tape, tubes and tyres. Gonna get a shop to put on the cassette and set up the brakes properly for the first time. What sort of tyres pressure should I be looking at for a 80 kg rider on 25mm wide tyres :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/hhxJS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

So the wheels arrived. Just finished fitting rim tape, tubes and tyres. Gonna get a shop to put on the cassette and set up the brakes properly for the first time. What sort of tyres pressure should I be looking at for a 80 kg rider on 25mm wide tyres :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/hhxJS

*twitch* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Think pressure can be about 90 -100

Be sure brake pads are well below top of rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭fletch

@Paul_Mc1988, you've had the wheels a few months. How are you finding them? Any issues?

5000km on them and they havent skipped a beat, haven't need to be trued either. Swapped out the pads for swissstop yellow and done the orwell randonnee. Brakes never faded and stopping power is great.

I had read 160+ pages from another forum of reviews on the wheels and i was sceptical but in the end its the best purchase iv made for the bike.

http:// imgur. com/gallery /H6HyA0y here is the bike in its final form (had to some spaces in the link as it wouldn't let me post the full link) . Farsport wheels, chinese carbon saddle, chinese carbon stem and chinese carbon handlebars. Bought an X-tools torque wrench and torqued every carbon part to 6nm with some carbon paste and have had no issues. Find a seller with great ratings and reviews and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

http:// imgur. com/gallery /H6HyA0y here is the bike in its final form (had to some spaces in the link as it wouldn't let me post the full link) . Farsport wheels, chinese carbon saddle, chinese carbon stem and chinese carbon handlebars. Bought an X-tools torque wrench and torqued every carbon part to 6nm with some carbon paste and have had no issues. Find a seller with great ratings and reviews and you should be grand

http://imgur.com/gallery/H6HyA0y

embeded the image but it's mahooosive. :eek:

Nice bike Paul Mc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ULLER

thekooman wrote: »
    Ive a set of Zondas and the rear hub isn't great in them... Mavics are much better in my opinion.
    I bought a set of 50mm carbon clinchers handbuilt off the spokesmanwheels.co.uk last year and they are great. have been on some bad roads and take the abuse so far. built on Novatech hubs and weigh about 1500g. all delivered for 670 euro. they are a Chinese (everything is!) Carbonal carbon rim. No customs and 20£ delivery from the UK.

How did the Carbonal wheels fare out of interest - still OK?

Advertisement