Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with city centre cycling

Options
  • 26-06-2018 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

So today I cycled into work for the first time. I’m very overweight and haven’t cycled for years so I was very nervous.

I cycled from Blanchardstown to Dame St via Castleknock, phoenix Park & then parkgate st and the quays up to Capel st.

I got nervous in Castleknock with the lack of space and fell off but kept going. The park was a joy to cycle through. However I don’t think I’ve ever been as scared as I was on the quays. Buses so close and taxis flying past. The thoughts of cycling home tonight are scary.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help me? Or alternative routes I could take to avoid the quays?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

a lot of this just comes down with familiarity tbh, when i started cycling the quays (opposite route) and pre 5 axle ban, it was crazy, but like everything you get used to it.

Just be of the mindset that everyone sharing the same space will do something really stupid and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

As someone who's been cycling through the city center for 16 years the advice I'd give anyway is to cycle ultra defensively. Some will argue with me on this but this is my take. I don't care if I am in the right and the taxi isn't as my body is not going to win an argument with a tonne + lump of metal. +100 for busses/trucks etc... I ride with a mindset of I want to get into the office safely and home safely so I can see my wife and kids. Do I care that it took me 5 mins longer this morning because I sat behind a bus at a set of lights rather than scraping up the inside? No. I see idiots every single day going up the inside of busses and trucks.

With time and experience you will start to read traffic and anticipate where it's going to move. A lot of the time I'm looking at how a driver has positioned the car near a junction, what way are the tyres? This often gives a clue on someone who could jump out without warning to skip a few other cars or nip into a bus lane. It's all learning and experience. If you have a fall or a bump, don't let it put you off but use it. Learn from it and ensure you avoid it next time.

Lastly, lights. Get yourself a good set of lights. Yes I know it's blazing sun out there but I have a good strong see sense lights that are always on no matter what the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

You just really need to keep cycling the route. I remember the first time on the Quays for me (since school) was very nerve-racking. I learned to read the traffic very quickly, hopefully you will too. Also the more you cycle the more bike fit you become so getting out of (and not getting into) trouble becomes easier.

And practice the over the shoulder glance before you change position on the road, seriously, its a life saver...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

So today I cycled into work for the first time. I’m very overweight and haven’t cycled for years so I was very nervous.

I cycled from Blanchardstown to Dame St via Castleknock, phoenix Park & then parkgate st and the quays up to Capel st.

I got nervous in Castleknock with the lack of space and fell off but kept going. The park was a joy to cycle through. However I don’t think I’ve ever been as scared as I was on the quays. Buses so close and taxis flying past. The thoughts of cycling home tonight are scary.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to help me? Or alternative routes I could take to avoid the quays?

fair dues for cycling in, it'll get easier and it's meant to be an enjoyable start to your day so give it time. used live in clonee ages ago so took "back roads" into town, not the park.

capel street - stoneybatter - hole in the wall/blackhorse avenue - castleknock - blanch

avoids the quays although traffic will be busy. you could leave a little later and wait for it to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Out of interest what happened that led to you falling off? Perhaps we can offer advice on how to manage those situations.

Really this is about building confidence, in time you'll be much more comfortable. You are doing a decent distance in and out of town on some of most busy roads in Dublin so it's natural to be a little nervous at the beginning.

Personally I find the quays safer, maybe it's because of the numbers of cyclists, cars/trucks/buses have to be more vigilant and also at rush hour it's more slow moving. (safety in numbers I guess)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Thanks everyone for your advice!

com1 wrote: »

And practice the over the shoulder glance before you change position on the road, seriously, its a life saver...

This is definitely something I need to work on. I don’t have great peripheral vision and wear glasses so when I look over my shoulder I don’t actually see very much.

I think I saw it mentioned here on another thread that IBikeDublin or another group had scheme were they would find someone local to ride with you and show you the ropes. Could be worth following up on OP.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Out of interest what happened that led to you falling off? Perhaps we can offer advice on how to manage those situations.

I was coming up to the junction in Castleknock village at Myos pub. The road is quite narrow and cars drive really close to the kerb. I panicked thinking I couldn’t get through and wobbled on the bike & hit the deck. It’s kind of the same feeling I had on the quays but I didn’t try & overtake any buses that were stopped etc. I just stopped behind them & waited.

It’s really scary when a bus passes you by!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've asked a friend who cycles from carpenterstown to the IFSC what route he takes, but i think there are a couple of regulars here who do a
    similar commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

I think I saw it mentioned here on another thread that IBikeDublin or another group had scheme were they would find someone local to ride with you and show you the ropes. Could be worth following up on OP.
    I think this may be the scheme Enfilade was thinking of:
    https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/bike-buddy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chap i mentioned above comes down the side of castleknock college and into the park at white's gate - would allow you to avoid castleknock village if that was an option for you, but he warned that the road past the college can be chaotic. swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I cycled the same route for years. It get's easier once you get used to it. The quays are also at it's worst this time of year as traffic is lighter so its generally moving faster.

Think the key is to take your time and make sure your safe. Quays aren't too bad unless you are changing lanes and just be careful of drivers taking a left turn. If wary about changing lanes just pull in and walk across when lights go red.

Also if peripheral vision is poor consider getting a wing mirror. I see a good few cyclist with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was coming up to the junction in Castleknock village at Myos pub. The road is quite narrow and cars drive really close to the kerb.
    I might be wrong but it sounds like you're cycling tight up against the kerb here. Don't be afraid to cycle a metre or so out. Other vehicles won't be able to squeeze you up against the kerb then.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

This is definitely something I need to work on. I don’t have great peripheral vision and wear glasses so when I look over my shoulder I don’t actually see very much.

Yeah I hear you. I am half blind but I (after lots of practice) can manage to get my head around far enough, though sometimes I need a double take.

Re the overtaking busses - if you are not 150% comfortable don't do it, it is only delaying a few seconds and you will never win a game of squash with a bus!

One last thing, and it is something that will get easier with practice (like everything else) but don't be afraid to take the lane. This means - move out towards the middle of the road to stop other traffic passing too close and / or blocking you off. I have a couple of spots on my commute where I have to pull out into the middle of the road for 100 metres or so to stop cars (mainly) from trying to over take me into where the road narrows. And if anybody beeps you for doing that you can be sure they don't know how to drive so you did the right thing by stopping them from trying to pass you inappropriately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Depending on where you start from you could try cycling along the royal canal from blanch to phibsboro and then down to Capel street.

You need a decent bell for the royal canal but it's pedestrians not cars.

the chap i mentioned above comes down the side of castleknock college and into the park at white's gate - would allow you to avoid castleknock village if that was an option for you, but he warned that the road past the college can be chaotic. swings and roundabouts.

Thanks a mill for that. It’s an option alright, but a bit out of the way. I’m based in blanch village but am willing to try routes to get the best one!

jonnybravo wrote: »

Also if peripheral vision is poor consider getting a wing mirror. I see a good few cyclist with them now.

Yep I was just thinking that. Would defo be a help.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I might be wrong but it sounds like you're cycling tight up against the kerb here. Don't be afraid to cycle a metre or so out. Other vehicles won't be able to squeeze you up against the kerb then.

That’s exactly what it is. I guess it’s just confidence that I need to take the lane. I know I’ve every right to do so but am nervous of beeps etc.

Depending on where you start from you could try cycling along the royal canal from blanch to phibsboro and then down to Capel street.

You need a decent bell for the royal canal but it's pedestrians not cars.

I’m based in blanch village so the canal is defo an option. Thanks I’ll look into that. Is phibsboro bad for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I keep going along circular road from Phibsboro so I don't know.

That said by the time you get to Phibsboro, you'll be well warmed up and surrounded by other cyclists on your way in so you may well find it easier psychologically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No one gone with "Relax", yet? ;)

It does get easier with practice/ time. A big thing is not to hug the kerb as it just invites close passes as well as putting you in the line of more grids, debris etc.

Like someone else said, traffic being faster can make it seem worse. A wet winters morning it'll be streams of stationary cars.

But it can be worth looking at marginally longer but more mentally comfortable routes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That’s exactly what it is. I guess it’s just confidence that I need to take the lane. I know I’ve every right to do so but am nervous of beeps etc.

Confidence and being assertive helps. I don’t mean you should force your way out into the path of cars, I mean you need to cycle a bit further out from the kerb. Have a look at the passenger side wheels of the cars in front of you. How far out from the kerb are they? That’s where you should be cycling.

Edit: don’t be nervous of beeps... beeps mean they see you! (Which is what you want) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    But it can be worth looking at marginally longer but more mentally comfortable routes too.

I think the route is the most important thing, both for safety and for enjoyment, and a slightly longer route is often well worth the extra time.

Sometimes you can take shortcuts on residential roads that aren't possible for motorists. These are often much nicer. I often look at a map before starting a new route. In particular, I'm looking to avoid slip roads, narrow roads with fast-moving traffic, and multi-lane roundabouts.

Advertisement