Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in a cycle lane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Probably a once off so they can say action is being taken.

That first photo looks like the Naas dual carriage way at Bill Griffin Motors, there's always cars parked there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I tweeted the gardai ages ago about their cones at the point. Never got a reply. Where there for weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

While its good to see, this was earlier today too
    https://twitter.com/MichelleKrista/status/928178339994587136

Pearse St are a huge fan of Centra Westmoreland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ED E wrote: »
    While its good to see, this was earlier today too
    https://twitter.com/MichelleKrista/status/928178339994587136

Pearse St are a huge fan of Centra Westmoreland.
    It's a guard. They're allowed break the law!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a guard. They're allowed break the law!

In the course of their duties. This doesn't include stopping to get a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Hope it’s the sight of things to come but I won’t hold my breath! Out my way, in the Enniskerry Road, an artic and 52 seat coach have taken to parking on cycle lane with continuous white line (coach) and cycle lane and footpath (lorry) between 7pm and 8am. Seen Garda drive past but no stop for the clearly illegal parking. I have seen loads of cars parked on pavements, even blocking them, but no ticket on them. I assume it’s still illegal to park on a pavement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am sick of the "clearway" on Manor St always blocked up too, makes me want to make them not park along it anymore but always just about resist temptation to keep the temper at bay. Been cycling it now about 15/16 months and not once seen a car clamped or any attempt at enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bambaata wrote: »
    Am sick of the "clearway" on Manor St always blocked up too, makes me want to make them not park along it anymore but always just about resist temptation to keep the temper at bay. Been cycling it now about 15/16 months and not once seen a car clamped or any attempt at enforcement.

How is clamping going to help at all? The car is going to be parked illegally even longer. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

...and as a pedestrian...

Keep off our footpaths!
    The above includes cyclists!

• Advertisement

Middle Man wrote: »
    ...and as a pedestrian...

Keep off our footpaths!
    The above includes cyclists!

Pfft you don’t even pay footpath tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Weepsie wrote: »
    In the course of their duties. This doesn't include stopping to get a coffee.

Maybe they were in arresting a shop lifter.....

..... or maybe just lifting a donut from the shelf!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

amcalester wrote: »
    Pfft you don’t even pay footpath tax.
    Oh, that says a lot...

You want motorists to bend over backwards and put up with downgraded roads due to your vulnerability...

Yet, us pedestrians are expected to get out of your way!

Double Standards!

Middle Man wrote: »
    Oh, that says a lot...

You want motorists to bend over backwards and put up with downgraded roads due to your vulnerability...

Yet, us pedestrians are expected to get out of your way!

Double Standards!

Nah, I really don’t.

Cyclists shouldn’t be on the footpath.

Mod Note- Middle Man, keep it on topic. Nobody here thinks people should be cycling on the footpath, but if you want to drag something off topic, go elsewhere.

Anymore, and posters can start taking a break

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Car parked on the lovely new stretch of cycle path near Cabinteely, heading up Johnstown road.

Not only were they on the path, but they were straddling both sections of it: the merging left and straight ahead sections.

I had an incident a month or so ago, where an AA van was blocking a cycle lane. I asked him why he wasn't making an effort to facilitate the bike traffic, two bikes in front of me had dangerously hopped off the path and into traffic.

When I asked him why he didn't work on the broken down car on the road (there were two lanes), he asked me was I mad.

Was I? Why is it seen as acceptable to block an entire lane for bikes and endanger people who may rely on those for safety and take silly risks like the bikes above, versus closing part of one lane and causing a minor incovenience to car traffic?

One is mad, the other is totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

On James’s st, just before the Luas track, there’s a cycle lane which is a car park for years. Every day there’s 12-15 cars parked along it. It’s a single lane road with a high amount of traffic. The road was recently re-tarmaced and new road markings but It’s still allowed to continue. Anyone know who you can contact if you wanted to make an official complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Garda but waste of time usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Was I? Why is it seen as acceptable to block an entire lane for bikes and endanger people who may rely on those for safety and take silly risks like the bikes above, versus closing part of one lane and causing a minor incovenience to car traffic?

One is mad, the other is totally fine.
    The default position for a breakdown is to push it off the road, onto the cycle lane or pavement. The guards are as bad as anyone for this.

I've also seen the guards, when they've bothered enforcing, pulling people into the cycle lanes on the N11 to ticket them for bus lane violation. And then of course we had the infamous Garda (not the privateers) Gatso van that was parked on the cycle lane outbound approaching Foxrock Church!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t you love to stop and say, “eh...everything all right here ?”

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Maybe they just have have really good coffee in that shop :rolleyes:

That's the same car too

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe the garda in question is conducting some other regular business over the shop, if you know what I mean, nudge nudge wink wink a-nod's-as-good-as-a-wink-to-a-blind-bat etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the spot outside the coffee shop was being blocked by civvie punters popping in for their coffee, and the garda is parking there as a warning to other motorists? we may have been too quick to condemn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

On James’s st, just before the Luas track, there’s a cycle lane which is a car park for years. Every day there’s 12-15 cars parked along it. It’s a single lane road with a high amount of traffic. The road was recently re-tarmaced and new road markings but It’s still allowed to continue. Anyone know who you can contact if you wanted to make an official complaint.

Call these guys every time;

http://www.dsps.ie/

Not a parking related post, but its really annoying the way some motorists ‘stack’ side by side into a yellow junction box, thus blocking it for cars coming through on green. Some of them also use the cycle lane to swing around as wide as they can.
    Anyway, this morning I spotted a Garda car stacked (and turning right) in one such box at Sandford Road, D6. Talk about setting a good example of how to behave? They should have been out taking the details of the other two drivers (as in writing a ticket under the RTA, to dissuade this behaviour, but no, they were both laughing /having a chat!

This enforcement of the ROTR and Road Safety is funny alright, as in a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

We got a letter from the principal of my daughter's school regarding continual blocking of the cycle track across the street from the school by parents dropping off and picking up. Gardai had been on to the school as it's a constant problem and they requested 'respect for cyclists'. The particular cycle track has been mentioned here many times. It's also brought up regularly at the Parents' Committee meetings but doesn't seem to make any difference.

well, that's more from the gardai that i would have expected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement