Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croix de Where next?

Options
  • 14-07-2017 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Have exhausted research on potentially replacing my current roadbike and knowing what I'll be going for in two different budget ranges if pay and circs allow me to use my bike to work I've found myself at a loss for bike to stuff to fuss about.

Once the initial thrill of the new roadbike wears off I fear that I will be jonesing for another project and having suffered through last years Reservoir Dog and this years Wicklow 200 on my multitasking winter/offroad/touring (yet to happen) / Utility Croix De Fer 10
    I've been pondering a wholly spurious and budget limited refresh of my trusty, beloved but pig on the hills, that I can chip away at for six months or a year until it feels like I've done something to reduce the feeling of drag-arsing up hills. .This mostly started with a desire to escape the fiddly mechanical discs but got me thinking about the rest including shaving off a bit of weight and further luxuriating with carbon forks and seatpost (maybe).

At present any money I could be splurging is being held back against a future road bike purchase around the end of the year so current offers aren't a factor.

Areas I'm looking at are:

1. Wheels ? (Already have a second set of Deore XT wheels which i guess fufil the lighter wheels checkbox on any bike upgrade noodle) €0
    2. Forks - Looking at a carbon fork purely for the modest weight saving over the current steel paws, it seems like I might get a bit of change out of €200 on this (for E.g Bike24 have carbon CX forks for 160, Evans have replacement Pinnacle Arkrose forks for €185.). // It just occurred to me that I have a front tubus rack that'll need mounts...so I can probably forget about Carbon forks...fcek

3. Stem - PX superlight? From what I'm reading an Alloy stem seems like a fair option to carve of a bit of weight and as I'll be rolling on 32-35mm tyres with a steel frame under me and don't suffer
    any problems with the stock alloy stem €25

4. Seatpost - Tifosi Carbon or PX Superlight Alloy, the seatpost feels like vibrations might be more of a thing, I already have and am happy with the Tifosi seatpost on my roadbike but the PX alloy is cheaper and probably lighter. €35

5. Brakes - TRP Hy/RD since a full upgrade to Hydraulic shifters would blow the boat out of the water, even these I'll probably upgrade one at a time €220

6. Groupset - as above - unless a complete miracle bomb drops into my lap I'll be sticking with Sora, if nothing else it'll keep the cost of replacing RDs down. €0

Total cost around €450-500, total entertainment value, priceless-ish.

Before anyone starts:
    1. This bike is too pretty and too versatile to replace
    2. I've put in enough miles and worked enough on bikes at this point to appreciate the benefits such as they are of these upgrades are primarily if not purely psychological. But I've enjoyed the process of upgrading and fiddling with the rest of my fleet, so why not Zoidberg.
    3. The project to save weight off the engine block is going to be much cheaper but way riskier to approach via internet shopping!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what speed is the groupset? there were plenty of boardsies selling 9 and ten speed components at the car boot sale in balrothery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

what speed is the groupset? there were plenty of boardsies selling 9 and ten speed components at the car boot sale in balrothery.

Sora 9spd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'll be rolling on 32-35mm tyres with a steel frame

Which tyres exactly? Very cost effective weight save could be lighter tyres at the cost of some puncture protection. Also from memory, you're running 11-28 on the CDF, maybe 11-32 with increased cadence would make it a more fun bike in the hills.

Alternatively Kilmashogue twice a week, making sure to get a couple of seconds off the clock each time. Bastard of a hill that it is it has the wonderful side effect of somehow flattening most of the other hills in the area :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the TRP hy rd on my bike - i can't compare them to mechanical brakes though as i've never used them. they stop my bike for me, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Some inspiration

20017448_10154619384845671_9152749066176503529_o.jpg?oh=aeee2010231bc53b6f66bfb6fa2ed334&oe=5A0FC5B2

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Some inspiration

20017448_10154619384845671_9152749066176503529_o.jpg?oh=aeee2010231bc53b6f66bfb6fa2ed334&oe=5A0FC5B2

Swooon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Breathtaking machine.

Bit of an update, have hy-rd's on the way because the constant fiddling of mechanical calipers was driving me to distraction: Also anodized steel rotor bolts because the factory bolts are made of cheese (only a problem when you need to change a rotor mind).

Plopped on a Tifosi Carbon Fibre seatpost too.

Now I have a €120.00 gift voucher for an LBS and am pondering changing the bars or stem for some lighter aluminum.

Mariginal gains on a touring rig? Hmmm.

Alek wrote: »
    Mariginal gains on a touring rig? Hmmm.

But it's also the bike that I invariably end up doing hilly Sportives on when the roadbike breaks down ;-)

• Advertisement

Still, how much can you lighten the bike via bars+stem? 100g?

Still, how much can you lighten the bike via bars+stem? 100g?

But I need something to spend my voucher on...

I'd wait until the next freehub to fail or a burst tyre. Is there expiry date on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Is there expiry date on it?

Aye, the day before something breaks on current bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

The hy/rd brakes can be a complete pig to set up right. They have 2 big issues. First, they need the complete range of lever travel to activate them, so be ready to be pulling your levers all the way to the bar. Second, the auto-advance of the pistons to compensate for pad wear, sometimes just doesn't work. Those 2 problems combined can mean some interesting experiences.

I'd suggest some googling on these topics.

Having said all that, mine are working well at the moment, due to some great perseverance by the LBS in tweaking them, and by me upgrading to some good quality Shimano rotors.

There were initial problems with HY/RDs due to having the reservoirs not large enough, the current model has a larger one and the the self-adjusting + lever travel issues seem to be gone.

I have both, the old is ok to live with, the new one is more or less fit-and-forget.

mine have a barrel adjuster just where the cable meets the hydraulic system, seems a way of adjusting for wear if the auto-adjustment doesn't work, but i haven't really faffed around with it since changing the pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But I need something to spend my voucher on...

Dynamo hub and lights for all those night-time audax rides...

There were initial problems with HY/RDs due to having the reservoirs not large enough, the current model has a larger one and the the self-adjusting + lever travel issues seem to be gone.

I have both, the old is ok to live with, the new one is more or less fit-and-forget.

That's good to hear. Wonder if they would do a deal on an upgrade, since the older model is sub-par... :-)

mine have a barrel adjuster just where the cable meets the hydraulic system, seems a way of adjusting for wear if the auto-adjustment doesn't work, but i haven't really faffed around with it since changing the pads.

That barrel adjuster is to take up cable slack. There are dire warnings about using the adjuster to compensate for wear or anything else. If the arm thingy is pulled too far from its resting spot, the reservoir can't top up the fluid. That's one of the things that makes them hard to adjust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement