Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too much smoke

Options
  • 18-03-2019 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

So after again talking myself out of selling/scraping the altea (2.0tdi BKD) she started to belch smoke much to my amusement and judder at low speed and throw up a P0101 error code. I’ve had to leave it running like this for about a month, (before the anti Christ's come on, I actually don't cover that much mileage in her as she's a train station car, and only use it when its raining).

Its due the NCT next week so ordered an EGR valve (30 euro special), and break pads from Amazon, these arrived during the week. I also ordered a manifold gasket as I thought it would be a good idea to clean it since its never been done with 265k miles up it was one of the main bits to sort, with regards to the error code I had a spare MAF anyway.

After removing everything and eventually getting to remove the manifold (which was absolutely caked), I notice there was thick cream on the cylinder head, there wasn't much but I also noticed the manifold was very scorched on the meeting side around the same area, so it maybe just the gasket was leaking, and nothing else.

I hoovered out the manifold and scraped as much cake as I could using a hoover and other bits that could get under the hood, and ended up filling it up with oven cleaner and washing out / drying out, everything went on fairly handy same with the new EGR, the MAF etc.

Cleared the errors from the car and took it out for a spin and its back to its best, only the shudder is still there at low speeds, when on boost its perfect and super responsive compared to before, without any smoke. I think the fuel pump might be about to give up, so going to see if I've done enough to get through the NCT, if not I have a second hand tandem pump I can swap in, but I was thinking that this might be the bio diesel which is now only available at the pumps.

Anyone else having similar issues with older PD diesels with this new fuel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

JJJJNR wrote: »
    So after again talking myself out of selling/scraping the altea (2.0tdi BKD) she started to belch smoke much to my amusement and judder at low speed and throw up a P0101 error code. I’ve had to leave it running like this for about a month, (before the anti Christ's come on, I actually don't cover that much mileage in her as she's a train station car, and only use it when its raining).

Its due the NCT next week so ordered an EGR valve (30 euro special), and break pads from Amazon, these arrived during the week. I also ordered a manifold gasket as I thought it would be a good idea to clean it since its never been done with 265k miles up it was one of the main bits to sort, with regards to the error code I had a spare MAF anyway.

After removing everything and eventually getting to remove the manifold (which was absolutely caked), I notice there was thick cream on the cylinder head, there wasn't much but I also noticed the manifold was very scorched on the meeting side around the same area, so it maybe just the gasket was leaking, and nothing else.

I hoovered out the manifold and scraped as much cake as I could using a hoover and other bits that could get under the hood, and ended up filling it up with oven cleaner and washing out / drying out, everything went on fairly handy same with the new EGR, the MAF etc.

Cleared the errors from the car and took it out for a spin and its back to its best, only the shudder is still there at low speeds, when on boost its perfect and super responsive compared to before, without any smoke. I think the fuel pump might be about to give up, so going to see if I've done enough to get through the NCT, if not I have a second hand tandem pump I can swap in, but I was thinking that this might be the bio diesel which is now only available at the pumps.

Anyone else having similar issues with older PD diesels with this new fuel?

I had the PD170 BMN engine.

The tandem pump, there is a seal that goes and it can mix oil back into the fuel and vise versa. If you pull the fuel filter out it can be oil black and this is a sign that pump is going. This could be part of your judder if there is a lot of oil mixing with the fuel.
    My car always had a judder but this was down to the injector grief they gave, there was a recall on them which I got done and the car was never right after it until I got a map done by Joe Power.

I used to get cream on the inside of the oil filler cap and I always assumed it was from condensation and not head gasket as the oil was black and coolant was pink.

When you were in at the inlet manifold what were the condition of the swirl flaps?
    If everything was that caked in soot/carbon did you have a look at the throttle body? Cant remember if this is part of the EGR....

It could also just need the stones driven out of it to give it a clean out, a good healthy blast on a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I didnt see flaps on the manifold, just holes, if thats where they are, but I replaced the pump today and it's less noticeable, brought it for an italian tune up which put it into limp mode it never went to limp mode before.. starting to scratch the bottom of the barrel now.

No leaks of coolant timing belt was done recently 10k ago and it's at the same level.

So at this point
    2 Maf (took another second hand)
    1 egr
    Oil and oil filter
    Fuel filter
    Fuel pump (tandem)
    Replaced gasket and deep cleaned manifold

I didnt see and flaps on the manifold but I replaced the pump today and it's less noticeable, brought it for an italian tune up which put it into limp mode it never went to limp mode before..

So at this point
    2 Maf (took another second hand)
    1 egr
    Oil and oil filter
    Fuel filter
    Fuel pump (tandem)
    Replaced gasket and deep cleaned manifold

The only time my BMN went into limp was when it injested a swirl flap and thankfully VW made them out of plastic so it went in, got burned up and spewed out. Very lucky!

Swirl flaps look like small round plates on a long bar with a small motor on one end that act as butterfly valves, generally they get carboned up to the point they snap off when the motor activates. Tell tale sign that they need attention is a small weep of oil just above the manifold kinda below the fuel filter. Hard to explain with out being there.

Are you running with a K&N oiled air filter or standard?

FR85 wrote: »
    The only time my BMN went into limp was when it injested a swirl flap and thankfully VW made them out of plastic so it went in, got burned up and spewed out. Very lucky!

Swirl flaps look like small round plates on a long bar with a small motor on one end that act as butterfly valves, generally they get carboned up to the point they snap off when the motor activates. Tell tale sign that they need attention is a small weep of oil just above the manifold kinda below the fuel filter. Hard to explain with out being there.

Are you running with a K&N oiled air filter or standard?

Yeah that was weird never happened before on this car, which sounds even more alarm bells.!

There's no leaks on the engine just at the intercooler pipes, the clips are dodgy and have had issues with them coming loose. Running the standard filter also. Had an edit in earlier but forgot too save.

Just back from a spirited drive and it seems to have evened out and didn't go into limp mode. See how it is over the next few days.

• Advertisement

Just back from a spirited drive and it seems to have evened out and didn't go into limp mode. See how it is over the next few days.

Hopefully your golden and it just needed a clearout.
    A good fuel treatment like Millers Ecomax or Wynns might also assist in degunking injectors.

If it turns out to be an injector then its faith has been sealed, 4 injectors and a loom are mega money combined with the age of the car and nearly €800 in road tax.

They are a super machine and I'd have mine back in the morning but I couldn't justify keeping it due to age, milage, tax ect. Great engine once maintained.

I'm a fan of Millars products myself swear by the nano tech gearbox oil. Ill order a bottle of that have been using dip for a good few years now and might need something a bit more specific. I can't fault the car tbh owes me nothing at this stage happy enough with the tax as long as nothing big goes. This has only cost me the parts which was 40 x 2, service kit, egr 30, gasket 10. Couple hours in the rain and some skin off the fingers lol.

I'm a fan of Millars products myself swear by the nano tech gearbox oil. Ill order a bottle of that have been using dip for a good few years now and might need something a bit more specific. I can't fault the car tbh owes me nothing at this stage happy enough with the tax as long as nothing big goes. This has only cost me the parts which was 40 x 2, service kit, egr 30, gasket 10. Couple hours in the rain and some skin off the fingers lol.

A chap who did work on a work van said to stay away from dipetane, he worked on a good few Octavias that had come in with fueling problems and it turned out to be perished fuel lines and they all had two things in common, taxis and taxi drivers trying to save on fuel by using dipetane. Maybe check your fuel pipes going into the filter? He put me onto Millers Diesel Ecomax as he said there is a lubricant in there that keeps your fuel lines moist and helps the pump and injectors hense the rancid smell off it.

Only failed on a worn wishbone, happy with that.

Advertisement