Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mortgage for the sake of it

• 19-09-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

HI just wondering, i was going to build a house with my cash but im wondering could i get a mortgage then draw the help to buy scheme money and pay off the mortgage the following year, is this possible or legal? Revenue website not great for such queries. Also is there any scheme for first time buyers who are building using just cash?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

There needs to be a minimum % of the final build cost mortgaged, not sure what the % is, 50 or 70.

You would also have to have the mortgage for a minimum 5 years otherwise there can be a claw back of the HTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Frynge wrote: »
    There needs to be a minimum % of the final build cost mortgaged, not sure what the % is, 50 or 70.

You would also have to have the mortgage for a minimum 5 years otherwise there can be a claw back of the HTB.

thanks for the reply, it most likely would no be worth it so if i had to keep the mortgage for 5 years id imagine.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, it most likely would no be worth it so if i had to keep the mortgage for 5 years id imagine.

If you work the numbers it would probably make sense to use a mortgage.

Envelope calculations;

Build cost €200k
    Mortgage €140k
    Interest for year 1 €4k
    Make an additional payment of €130k in month 13
    Payments of €30 each month for 4 years
    Interest for years 2-5 €600.
    Clear balance of mortgage on month 61 and you would be up €5,400.00ish

I'm sure a broker could go through it better.

thanks, but my point of doing cash was to save on engineers fees etc and backhanders to builders and all which would equal the 5400 at least, by not having a mortgage i don't need an engineer onsite to to sign off at each stage to draw down the mortgage. I presume there is no government subsides are tax breaks by building with just cash?

newhouse87 wrote: »
    thanks, but my point of doing cash was to save on engineers fees etc and backhanders to builders and all which would equal the 5400 at least, by not having a mortgage i don't need an engineer onsite to to sign off at each stage to draw down the mortgage. I presume there is no government subsides are tax breaks by building with just cash?

In that case the yes, steer clear of a mortgage so. Make sure you trust the people getting the cash as we have all heard the horror stories of doing that.

I personally am happy to pay cash for building works in my own home as I would use friends for any major works.

• Advertisement

Frynge wrote: »
    In that case the yes, steer clear of a mortgage so. Make sure you trust the people getting the cash as we have all heard the horror stories of doing that.

I personally am happy to pay cash for building works in my own home as I would use friends for any major works.

yeah it will be all people i know so reckon its worth using my cash as i dont have any other expenses right now and also its like an investment on the money as will save throughout the course of a normal mortgage, was just trying to see was there any tax breaks or any grants by doing it cash but that was wishful thinking really.

Advertisement