Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch Lost during service

Options
  • 18-09-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of a steer on an issue I’m having re a watch I bought that went missing while being serviced. I bought the watch in early 2019 and it came with an offer of free first replacement battery/service when it ran out. Due to the watch type it had to go to Italy for battery replacement and resealing. This was serviced and sent back but to the store but in a shipping problem back to the store the watch has now been declared lost. The watch is no longer in stock with the manufacturer and the store through them are offering the newer model of the watch which is significantly different from what I bought and really liked originally.

I have located the watch on sale in a Jewelers in Ireland (the only one I can see in Europe) and suggested the manufacturer/shop source this from them and this gives me back what was lost. However they are unwilling to do this and say I can get something else in the store instead. I think part of the problem here is that the watch was a very good price when I bought it and significantly cheaper than anywhere online. The cost of this last remaining watch in the jewelers is twice what I paid.

Should I have an expectation that they replace like for like or am I stuck with the offer of newer model or watch of similar value to my original purchase price. Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

That's a tough break. What is the watch? Perhaps we can crowdsource an identical one for you.

I'd say the best outcome is a full refund of purchase price and try to look at the positives. I wouldn't accept a different model you don't like for the sake of it. You got the use of a watch you love for free for 18 months and the opportunity to change it up at zero cost to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have heard of this happening before. Personally I would take full refund of purchase price seems fair, what watch was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

This is the one that went missing.

https://weirandsons.ie/certina-ds-2-chrono-precidrive-watch.html

The newer model has silver buttons and silver around the bezel instead of the green.

https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-certina-ds-2-precidrive-chronograph-watch-c0244471705102.pdp

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

Lovely watch I to like the older model over the newer one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I would have thought that, irrespective of what you paid initially, the obligation would be to replace like for like.

I'd be fairly insistent that the purchase price is now irrelevant. Threaten them with the small claims court if they are trying to limit the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Was this Keanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I would have thought that, irrespective of what you paid initially, the obligation would be to replace like for like.

I'd be fairly insistent that the purchase price is now irrelevant. Threaten them with the small claims court if they are trying to limit the options.

Seeing as the origional watch cannot be got new they cant do that, its not a retailers obligation to provide you with a second hand watch from another seller nor could they stand over that watch. Purchase price refund is the best that will happen, or take the new version as a replacement, the retailer would much rather that as the cost to them is half retail.

Advertisement