Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery swapping is back!

2»

Comments

Lumen wrote: »
    You have to assume everyone starts in Dublin. :D

Yeah looks like it lol.

KCross wrote: »
    I said almost! :)

Draw a 400km diameter circle and put it anywhere you like in Ireland and see how many of the places outside that circle are regular journeys for you.

Regardless, my main point is that peak charge rates are meaningless when talking about EV charge rates.

I think we all agree we needs lots more chargers that can do at least 175kW.

Except at motorway speeds you won't get anywhere near 400 Km and if you want to put the boot down a bit at 130 which I think are reasonable speeds when you need to get somewhere in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Except at motorway speeds you won't get anywhere near 400 Km and if you want to put the boot down a bit at 130 which I think are reasonable speeds when you need to get somewhere in a hurry.

What figure do you want to use so!?!!

Here's a 250km radius circle centred on Carlow, which I think is roughly where you are?

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php?circles=%5B%5B250000%2C52.7839038%2C-6.910522%2C%22%23AAAAAA%22%2C%22%23000000%22%2C0.4%5D%5D

It takes you to the edges of the country... do you see my point? By the time you need to charge the battery in a "long range" EV you are most likely at or very near your destination in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not really, there's increasing numbers of electrics on the road with a public charging network not fit for purpose, so the more People with electrics the greater the chance of having to Queue.

But that still assumes that most people are not charging at home/work/destination.
    I simply dont believe that is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GreeBo wrote: »
    But that still assumes that most people are not charging at home/work/destination.

Anyone got stats for what % of hotels have destination charging?

My experience is 0% but the data set is singular.

I've been to a few hotels with designated charging stations (don't have an EV myself, but have seen quite a few). Maybe a third of the ones I've been in over the past couple of years, though always the big ones.

People don't like change. They also don't like inconvenience, whether that is likely to be real or imagined inconvenience. At some stage we'll probably all be driving EVs or at least some form of hybrid. But until then, there is just no competing with the ubiquitous nature of petrol stations.

Somebody in this thread earlier said "what if you can't find a garage to fill up" as if we're still stuck in the 80s. Garages are every-fecking-where and even the most basic of phones (and a high percentage of cars themselves) will tell you where the nearest one is and how to get there. Charging stations can be located also, I'm sure, but the fact that you might have to wait a few hours hours, or it might be broken is a dealbreaker in such a scenario.

There was a huge thread on here not so long ago about ICEs or local EVs hogging the chargepoints. You can't complain about that while at the same time telling everyone there's no issues with getting a charge. Until it is easy and straightforward as pulling into a Circle K garage when you feel like it, people won't bother.

The solution is simple: Make the filling stations install charge points. Whether its by tax breaks or carbon credits or simply by financial penalties for those who don't comply, just introduce legislation that all garages have to have an EV charger as well as a petrol/diesel pump. I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done by this stage.

What figure do you want to use so!?!!

Here's a 250km radius circle centred on Carlow, which I think is roughly where you are?

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php?circles=%5B%5B250000%2C52.7839038%2C-6.910522%2C%22%23AAAAAA%22%2C%22%23000000%22%2C0.4%5D%5D

It takes you to the edges of the country... do you see my point? By the time you need to charge the battery in a "long range" EV you are most likely at or very near your destination in this country.

Yeah except we don't drive as the Crow flies lol, driving by road adds a lot more kms because they are not straight.

I want a proper infrastructure at the very least, we don't have it so I need to charge in areas that have poor infrastructure, when I get to my next destination I may perhaps want to stop and have a meal instead of spending 30-50 mins charging and there might not be a charger near me, if I am staying over night can I plug into AC ? most likely not.

But as I said, if it's going to be a pain in the ass where we're going and I get another BEV we'll just take the Outlander Diesel but it's bloody convenient having the Rex so I don't have to think about it or care, finding chargers requires much more planning.

No that doesn't assume this at all, it's not what I meant.

More People with electric cars means the network gets busier and busier as they head off for holidays, weekends away etc and need the network because they have no access to ac for overnight charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yeah except we don't drive as the Crow flies lol, driving by road adds a lot more kms because they are not straight.

Lol is right.

That’s a pedantic answer. Am I to map out your random drives. I’m making a general point not saying your car can fly!

We agree on the infrastructure side, we need lots more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Jees, I was reading another thread about the new virus figures/restrictions - a notification popped up & I clicked it to be greeted with this map, with a circle around Carlow :eek:.

At first I thought it was indicating ground zero for a new cluster, then the area that would need flooding for Ireland's newest pumped hydro :D.

I'm on the fence about battery swapping's future. Those Tesla skateboard batteries are remarkably easy to remove to be fair, might be a use case for them.

Imaging rocking up to "the ring", pop in a new battery & off you go.

Tesla abandoned easy change batteries for the 3 and Y.

As a feature on the S it got used more then they'd have liked. :pac:

I've been to a few hotels with designated charging stations (don't have an EV myself, but have seen quite a few). Maybe a third of the ones I've been in over the past couple of years, though always the big ones.

People don't like change. They also don't like inconvenience, whether that is likely to be real or imagined inconvenience. At some stage we'll probably all be driving EVs or at least some form of hybrid. But until then, there is just no competing with the ubiquitous nature of petrol stations.

Somebody in this thread earlier said "what if you can't find a garage to fill up" as if we're still stuck in the 80s. Garages are every-fecking-where and even the most basic of phones (and a high percentage of cars themselves) will tell you where the nearest one is and how to get there. Charging stations can be located also, I'm sure, but the fact that you might have to wait a few hours hours, or it might be broken is a dealbreaker in such a scenario.

There was a huge thread on here not so long ago about ICEs or local EVs hogging the chargepoints. You can't complain about that while at the same time telling everyone there's no issues with getting a charge. Until it is easy and straightforward as pulling into a Circle K garage when you feel like it, people won't bother.

The solution is simple: Make the filling stations install charge points. Whether its by tax breaks or carbon credits or simply by financial penalties for those who don't comply, just introduce legislation that all garages have to have an EV charger as well as a petrol/diesel pump. I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done by this stage.

Garages are far, far less prevalent than they were in the 80's and 90's!

How many places can you fill up in Dublin city centre these days?

No that doesn't assume this at all, it's not what I meant.

More People with electric cars means the network gets busier and busier as they head off for holidays, weekends away etc and need the network because they have no access to ac for overnight charging.
    More people has meant more charging points though, I'm seeing them in more and more places.
    Perhaps I'm just lucky....
    I want a proper infrastructure at the very least, we don't have it so I need to charge in areas that have poor infrastructure, when I get to my next destination I may perhaps want to stop and have a meal instead of spending 30-50 mins charging and there might not be a charger near me, if I am staying over night can I plug into AC ? most likely not.

How many times a year is this actually likely to be a problem for 90% of people?

I think you are taking a very infrequent, specific event and using it as a general excuse.

I keep asking, who is it who is travelling 200km in single journeys and staying somewhere overnight?
    If thats your normal commute, then sure, right now EV probably isnt for you, but you are a massive outlier. The stats clearly show the distance the majority of people travel per year.

The stats clearly show the distance the majority of people travel per year.
    Do they? I've only seen averages (means?).

There might be a large cohort of second cars and cars owned by old people that drag the average down.

My Model 3 has done 15k km in six months despite lockdown!

More people has meant more charging points though, I'm seeing them in more and more places.
    Perhaps I'm just lucky....

How many times a year is this actually likely to be a problem for 90% of people?

I think you are taking a very infrequent, specific event and using it as a general excuse.

I keep asking, who is it who is travelling 200km in single journeys and staying somewhere overnight?
    If thats your normal commute, then sure, right now EV probably isnt for you, but you are a massive outlier. The stats clearly show the distance the majority of people travel per year.

There's plenty of People who take weekends away and it's the inconvenience of charging, finding chargers and chargers in use and potential broken chargers and queues that's a big turn off, the network isn't fit for purpose no matter how much People charge at home most of the time.

I suppose most 2 car households will just take the ICE on those longer trips which makes sense too, that's probably what I'll be doing if I get another BEV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭zg3409

, just introduce legislation that all garages have to have an EV charger as well as a petrol/diesel pump. I honestly can't believe it hasn't been done by this stage.

The use case, visit time and requirements for a charging station are very different from a petrol car. Assuming a petrol station has 8 spots of refuelling and 4 non refuelling spots, the average time to refuel pay and leave is say 8 minutes, while for an EV charger is 30 minutes, so same site would need 24 EV spots to cater for equivalent ICE. Each charger typically costs 20,000 to 60,000 and that's assuming it will be reliable and not have annual maintenance needs. The cost to fill an EV is say 10 euro per charger per half hour if fully occupied.

As an EV user I don't want a single charger I may queue at, may be broken, etc. I would prefer any 50kW charger to be at least 2 at the same site, the site to have ample parking, and decent food with seating. I would like them located at motorway services or in towns if no motorway. I would rather they are not at a petrol station as they are direct competition and petrol stations have an incentive to ensure the chargers are blocked or broken as it competes with their existing business model. Many petrol station chains are owned by oil companies, and they don't have the room or local electrical infrastructure to handle 2 EV chargers let alone 10 or 20 chargers needed for long distance sites. Many local sites are doomed as people will charge at home or use public chargers not at petrol stations. As a user we need charging hubs on major routes, and mini hubs in towns near food and shops. Ionity and Tesla already know this and have picked their sites accordingly.

There's plenty of People who take weekends away and it's the inconvenience of charging, finding chargers and chargers in use and potential broken chargers and queues that's a big turn off, the network isn't fit for purpose no matter how much People charge at home most of the time.

I suppose most 2 car households will just take the ICE on those longer trips which makes sense too, that's probably what I'll be doing if I get another BEV.

I dont doubt that it happens, but I'm asking how many times is the average person driving on a weekend away over 200km without stopping somewhere along the way?

zg3409 wrote: »
    The use case, visit time and requirements for a charging station are very different from a petrol car. Assuming a petrol station has 8 spots of refuelling and 4 non refuelling spots, the average time to refuel pay and leave is say 8 minutes, while for an EV charger is 30 minutes, so same site would need 24 EV spots to cater for equivalent ICE. Each charger typically costs 20,000 to 60,000 and that's assuming it will be reliable and not have annual maintenance needs. The cost to fill an EV is say 10 euro per charger per half hour if fully occupied.

As an EV user I don't want a single charger I may queue at, may be broken, etc. I would prefer any 50kW charger to be at least 2 at the same site, the site to have ample parking, and decent food with seating. I would like them located at motorway services or in towns if no motorway. I would rather they are not at a petrol station as they are direct competition and petrol stations have an incentive to ensure the chargers are blocked or broken as it competes with their existing business model. Many petrol station chains are owned by oil companies, and they don't have the room or local electrical infrastructure to handle 2 EV chargers let alone 10 or 20 chargers needed for long distance sites. Many local sites are doomed as people will charge at home or use public chargers not at petrol stations. As a user we need charging hubs on major routes, and mini hubs in towns near food and shops. Ionity and Tesla already know this and have picked their sites accordingly.

The other side of this is that people are far more likely to spend more in your shop if they are there for 20+ mins.

I dont doubt that it happens, but I'm asking how many times is the average person driving on a weekend away over 200km without stopping somewhere along the way?

I didn't say no one stops on a long trip ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yesterday I had a 360km return trip to do, so I plugged the car in the night before. Problem is that I forgot to set the charge limit to 100% and arrived out ready to set off to find the car had only 80% charge, showing 380km on the gom. :D

The e-Niro's gom is fairly accurate so I set off and decided to take it handy on the way up. 115kph gps (119 on the speedo) on the motorway and speed limit elsewhere. I got home with 40km left. I could have gone a bit harder if I had known there were a few kms spare.

No charge or battery swap required.

Now I wouldn't do that every day, but it's a good indicator of what a long range car can do... even if you make a balls of charging it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yesterday I had a 360km return trip to ......do.but it's a good indicator of what a long range car can do

You averaged 12.7kWh/100km - that wouldn't be representative of most EVs, in fairness though, especially if including motorway driving.

We simply need more 150kW chargers, with at least 2 per site.

...........or battery swapping...........
    :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Kramer wrote: »
    You averaged 12.7kWh/100km - that wouldn't be representative of most EVs, in fairness though, especially if including motorway driving.

We simply need more 150kW chargers, with at least 2 per site.

...........or battery swapping...........
    :cool:.

I'd have been disappointed if that was my average doing the same trip, taking it handy, in my old Ioniq. But I would definitely have needed a charge stop.

...or a battery swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Somebody in this thread earlier said "what if you can't find a garage to fill up" as if we're still stuck in the 80s. Garages are every-fecking-where

Not really!
    Garages are far, far less prevalent than they were in the 80's and 90's!

Indeed. Petrol stations have dropped from around 2000 in the country a few decades ago to about 1000 now. Probably fewer than 500 left by 2030 and 100 by 2040. You can quote me on that :pac:
    Anyone got stats for what % of hotels have destination charging?

My experience is 0% but the data set is singular.

My experience is 100% :p I haven't stayed in many hotels with my EV with me, but all of them had at least a socket available in or near the parking spaces where you could charge overnight on a granny cable. More and more have at least 2 dedicated EV charging stations

Obviously I check before I book and I would only go to hotels that have charging facilities. Places that do not bother to cater for EVs do not get my business. A good 25m outdoor extension cable costs €50, an EVSE about a grand, fully deductible from tax in year one and Tesla heavily subsidises their own chargers for businesses. There really is no excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are many inconveniences owning a bev, particularly in a one vehicle family.
    There are 'work-arounds' for all of these as can be read in previous posts.

A couple of other aspects not mentioned that I can recall ...... the new methods of accessing info and the use of smart phones and even the use of a central display and all that digital nonsense.
    We have a large number of drivers who are not digital gurus and would not have a clue how to operate a smart phone or some app to find a charging point or any of the other 'nice' things you can do with them.

I wonder also about disabled drivers ........ will they have to exit their vehicle and do the necessary (say from a wheelchair) and get back in and wait the best part of an hour for a charge as opposed to pulling into their local service station with attendant service only when they have a near empty petrol/diesel tank?

If BEVs are truly to be our future then it will have to bring all citizens with it, not just the majority of healthy people who might be taking a rare long journey.

Speaking of which, my long journeys are about 150 miles each way, mostly to lunch meetings, and immediately home afterwards. I have no intention of ever stopping anywhere during either to or from.
    I am not going to plug into some charger and just abandon the car there until a meeting finishes,
    I really do not care if I only attend one meeting a month, the present situation with BEVs and all the inconveniences associated with owning one, means I would not own one.
    The situation will have to improve drastically for me to buy a BEV, much as I might like to own one.

Oh yes ....... the present cost of BEVs is far too much for a lot (most?) of us.

480km for lunch. :pac:

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pulling into their local service station with attendant service

1951? You are showing your age there alright. I don't think I've seen a service station with attendant service in about 25 years :p

But we get it, EVs are not for you. Maybe when they have the 1000 mile range you require? ;)

OK, well aside from the fact that no car makes driving 480km to have lunch sane, the best of the current EVs would have you stop for about 15 minutes to charge on that journey.

You'd probably need to stop for 5 minutes to fill up with diesel, so the penalty reduces to 10 minutes.

And the cost would be about €20, or about half the price of diesel.

Maybe your time is worth €120/hour, but it seems unlikely if you're spending four hours driving to have lunch.

OK, well aside from the fact that no car makes driving 480km to have lunch sane, the best of the current EVs would have you stop for about 15 minutes to charge on that journey.

You'd probably need to stop for 5 minutes to fill up with diesel, so the penalty reduces to 10 minutes.

And the cost would be about €20, or about half the price of diesel.

Maybe your time is worth €120/hour, but it seems unlikely if you're spending four hours driving to have lunch.

Why would I have to stop at all if driving a diesel?

It is your false assumption that the purpose of the meetings is to eat lunch.

unkel wrote: »
    1951? You are showing your age there alright. I don't think I've seen a service station with attendant service in about 25 years :p

But we get it, EVs are not for you. Maybe when they have the 1000 mile range you require? ;)

There is one a few miles from me.
    Yes it requires the customer to attract attention ....... I have observed it.

• Advertisement

Because they require refuelling?
    It is your false assumption that the purpose of the meetings is to eat lunch.
    Ah, the legal profession. I have some familiarity with its archaic working practices. A SC I know recently bought his first computer! :D

unkel wrote: »

I remember the garages that had a door bell button you pressed for them to come out to you, back in the day when there were pumps outside of houses.

But electrics aren't for everyone yet, that's true and no point trying to convince people, I haven't yet managed to convince any of the family if it's not for them that's fine by me. Charging is a huge turn off for many People, 30-50 mins to most People at a "fast" charger is just bonkers and they won't do it then add to this a crap charging infrastructure.

If I go back to BEV chances are I'll take the diesel on those long trips when we are staying away for a week or weekend, chances are I'll be made take the diesel....:D

Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 
    Because they require refuelling?

Not during a 300 mile round trip.

You must be thinking of BEVs limitations!

Not during a 300 mile round trip.

You must be thinking of BEVs limitations!

No.

Sure, on a single isolated trip you may spend less time stopped if you happen to start with a full tank, but you're discounting the previous refuelling stop. Most EV drivers do not spend any time waiting to charge because the car charges while they are asleep. It's only on long journeys that a stop is required, and in those cases a break is usually required too.

My EV regularly does 1000km a week at motorway speed with no charging stops at all. The diesel it replaced spent probably 10 minutes a week hanging around petrol stations doing the same pattern of journeys.

No.

Sure, on a single isolated trip you may spend less time stopped if you happen to start with a full tank, but you're discounting the previous refuelling stop. Most EV drivers do not spend any time waiting to charge because the car charges while they are asleep. It's only on long journeys that a stop is required, and in those cases a break is usually required too.

My EV regularly does 1000km a week at motorway speed with no charging stops at all. The diesel it replaced spent probably 10 minutes a week hanging around petrol stations doing the same pattern of journeys.

The one benefit of BEVs would be not having the stink of petrol/diesel on clothing from refuelling ..... if it was necessary on such a journey as I described.
    Such fumes and lunch do not go well together :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Try and bring it back to battery swapping

Advertisement