Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Docs etc V MS Office

Options
  • 24-08-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

Probably one of the more mundane queries seen in the forum.

Currently on the hunt for a new job. Have a second interview with a company this week. In terms of systems they use Google Docs (inc Sheets, Gmail etc.).

I used it in a role before and I felt it smacks of doing things on the cheap and sets the wrong tone (maybe it was was the particular company). I found it hard on the eyes and awkward to work with. It immediately puts the potential employer in a negative view in my mind. Does anyone else feel the same or am I being completely unreasonable?

Maybe I’ve just become a dinosaur and I’m stuck in my ways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

Functionally, I don't think anything comes close to MS Office.

Where Google really scores is in terms of collaboration and accessing documents while on the road. Sharing documents, having multiple people input into the one document etc. This is where Google is wonderful. Microsoft have sharepoint etc. for this, but some IT departments like google for this reason.

I have worked in places where Google was used extensively, and I'm a big fan. That said, I still had Excel for doing up complex models, pivot tables/charts etc.

I wouldn't say using Google is a sign of cheap and cheerful - it could be a conscious decision and a desired way of working.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Google Sheets/Docs says modern/forward thinking to me. Not cheap.

Excel 2003 and Windows XP screams cheap and unprofessional

I would personally not swap Office for Gsuite but they are both very good with different strengths

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The size of companies that use Google docs would indicate it's not on the cheap at all. Personally I don't like much of it as it's missing vital things you just get used to in MS. But no multinationals with endless wallets use it across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Cheers folks - interesting view points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Many Tech companies would use Gsuite over MS.

Where I currently work the Finance Team uses both. Gsuite for most external reporting and we use excel for some internal work or when dealing with a stakeholder who doesn't have Gsuite.

As mentioned above Gsuite has lots of great features in terms of collaborations, multiple people working on the same file and version histories. Much easier than attaching documents to emails and hoping you are all looking at the same version.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a company using Gsuite. To me its reflective of a more forward looking organisation.

Granted Gmail is bit of a pain currently not as good as Outlook but you learn to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

It always amazes me how many accountancy practices don't want to pay for MS Office €215 per licence, you wouldn't ask a forklift driver to work without a forklift so why ask an accountant to work without a decent tool for working with figures.

GSuite is cheap and cheerful, has many great functionality s, Office 365 has closed the sharing, co-authoring gap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Nothing wrong with google docs. MS office 365 has come a long way but I'd rather a few well-designed google docs over a network drive full of error-ridden excel files.

Advertisement