Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The diary is back !!!!!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/it-was-never-about-just-saying-oh-my-legs-hurt-roche-explains-secrets-to-tour-diary-success-39482490.html

It s been such a surreal year ...its good to have the Tour back ...hope i goes the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm surprised they're having a team presentation this evening. Live now on Eurosport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they're having a team presentation this evening. Live now on Eurosport.

Nothing surprises me anymore, what is the point?

Second year in a row but no Froome this year really is a big deal. Slightly devalues the Tour and eventual winner. Still look forward to an exciting race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Sagan! Great lad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭JimmyChew

Hope all these tech issues at the presentation aren't a sign of things to come.. TBH the stage set just doesn't work without a crowd.

Oh my :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What a team they have built up - Team Jumbo Visma, on screen for the presentation now. Hard to look past them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Second year in a row but no Froome this year really is a big deal. Slightly devalues the Tour and eventual winner. Still look forward to an exciting race though.
    No it doesn't! He didn't even win the last year he was in it!

And in 2017 Landa looked like it was taking all the will he could muster to not drop him on a few occasions.

• Advertisement

Nice declared a COVID 19 red Zone. Interesting to see the local reaction to the Tour over the next few days in Nice — it doesn't leave town until Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell, he hasn't been near that level for awhile now.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is this sarcasm? I can't tell, he hasn't been near that level for awhile now.
    I'd like to see a fit Froome race if only to be knocked from the top by the younger generation. Froome had the Giro in his legs in 2018 and obviously was injured and absent last year. It was misspeak to say this year's winner would be devalued by his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How exactly? He hasn't won the in 3 years and infact hasn't won anything since his Giro win a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I'm very much a fair weather cycling fan ... even so, I was surprised when looking at the odds that Primož Roglič is the favourite. I'd never heard of him before.
    He's actually 30 years old.
    Has he been a slow grower over the years or has he suddenly improved? He didn't ride the TDF last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Nice summary of bike brands at this years tiur:

Bianchi (Jumbo-Visma)
    BMC (NTT Pro Cycling)
    Cannondale (EF Pro Cycling)
    Canyon (Movistar; Team Arkea-Samsic)
    Cervélo (Team Sunweb)
    Colnago (UAE Team Emirates)
    De Rosa (Cofidis)
    Eddy Merckx (AG2R La Mondiale)
    Factor (Israel Start-Up Nation)
    Giant (CCC)
    KTM (B&B Hotels-Vital Concept p/b KTM)
    Lapierre (Groupama-FDJ)
    Merida (Bahrain-McLaren)
    Pinarello (Ineos Grenadiers)
    Specialized (Bora-Hansgrohe; Deceuninck-QuickStep)
    Ridley (Lotto-Soudal)
    Scott (Mitchelton-Scott)
    Trek (Trek-Segafredo)
    Wilier (Astana; Total Direct Energie)

More details on finishing kits etc:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro-bike/tour-de-france-bikes/

In the same way that Mercedes seem to be the best F1 car, is there a particular brand of bike that's meant to be the best?
    Or are bikes so relatively simple compared to cars that the difference over a tour is negligible?

The Jumbo Visma's Bianchi is ranked no. 1 in this article https://www.businessinsider.com/tour-de-france-bikes-ranked-2019-7?r=US&IR=T#no-1-jumbo-vismas-bianchi-22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

john9876 wrote: »
    I'm very much a fair weather cycling fan ... even so, I was surprised when looking at the odds that Primož Roglič is the favourite. I'd never heard of him before.
    Has he been a slow grower over the years or has he suddenly improved? He didn't ride the TDF last year.

He was 4th the year before and won the Vuelta last year. Not exactly an unknown!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Late to the sport, but he was 4th in the Tour 2 years ago, Won the Vuelta and was 3rd in the Giro last year. Plus multiple shorter stage race results over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He was also a ski jumper before cycling...not a lot of people know that

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

retalivity wrote: »
    He was also a ski jumper before cycling...not a lot of people know that

sorry

Anyone who watches cycling on Eurosport would know it, Carlton mentions it so bloody often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In the same way that Mercedes seem to be the best F1 car, is there a particular brand of bike that's meant to be the best?
    Or are bikes so relatively simple compared to cars that the difference over a tour is negligible?

The Jumbo Visma's Bianchi is ranked no. 1 in this article https://www.businessinsider.com/tour-de-france-bikes-ranked-2019-7?r=US&IR=T#no-1-jumbo-vismas-bianchi-22

That's from last year and they're only talking about the aesthetics of the bikes rather than which one is the 'best' racer. Those Bianchi machines are beautiful in that colour scheme alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

See Lotto-Soudal have had the first 'non negative' results from testing. Some staff sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone who watches cycling on Eurosport would know it, Carlton mentions it so bloody often.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

GCN did a show last year comparing the prices of all the bikes in the Tour. Bearing in mind cost isn't always an indication of quality but it will give you some idea. However the rider is always the main factor in bike racing - Roche could have won on a butcher bike apparently!

You can tell early on in the vid that it's from last year as yer man beside Ollie has a sore throat and isn't quarantining and there isn't a perspex screen between them. Those halcyon days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZyq-EMEJQ8

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He was a world champion skijumper who made the switch in his 20s. He has had a steady progress but really only started to hit the headlines a few years ago and was a giro favourite and vuelta winner in 2019

Just realized there's a page 10 which is already full of what I just said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That's why I liked the 2nd feed on eurosport app, no commentary. :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I dont suppose anyone is doing any stage threads

Especially stage 1 where Sam Bennett could take Yellow...he certainly seems psyched for it

Lets hope he has better luck than he's had previously at the tour, third time lucky !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »

Especially stage 1 where Sam Bennett could take Yellow...he certainly seems psyched for it

I look forward to reading your thread for Stage 1 :)
    Thanks for volunteering :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MPFGLB wrote: »

Good man, you've made a start to it there. Please continue.

Advertisement