Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanent Residency FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Did anyone ever get a rebate for their medical exam with the provincial health care provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Neither of us have LIMA at the moment. We already have the application submitted and we are in the pool waiting. I don't think you can change who the main applicant is after it's submitted. We are both equally qualified and in the same field so we pretty much drew straws for who to put as the main applicant. If we end up having to go the LIMA route it would be handy if either of us getting work would effect the application, I assume that's not possible tho, but said I'd ask just in case.

You can apply through your partners CIC account and have profile in their name too with you as the spouse. If you both happen to get ITA you can decline one. At least the bill of the paperwork will be done on the chance your partner gets a LMIA. The only downside is shelling out for another English test so they can apply too. (But it'll be a few points more on both profiles as the spouse has the test done)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

JenL wrote: »
    You can apply through your partners CIC account and have profile in their name too with you as the spouse. If you both happen to get ITA you can decline one. At least the bill of the paperwork will be done on the chance your partner gets a LMIA. The only downside is shelling out for another English test so they can apply too. (But it'll be a few points more on both profiles as the spouse has the test done)

Another English test and another educational assessment if applying under FSW (which you would be unless you have 1+ years of Canadian work experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

JenL wrote: »

We both have the english test and the educational assessment anyway, so wouldn't make a difference on that front.

Just to make sure I'm picking you up correctly. It's totally fine to have two applications running at the same time, one with me as the main applicant and him as the spouse and another with him as the main applicant and me as the spouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

Hi all, does anyone have a link to the exact steps required by the employer when doing an LMIA?

As in documents they must provide, how long a job ad must run for, additional justification for choosing a foreign employee etc etc

Thanks

• Advertisement

irlcad wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone have a link to the exact steps required by the employer when doing an LMIA?

As in documents they must provide, how long a job ad must run for, additional justification for choosing a foreign employee etc etc

Thanks

It's all in the form

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eforms/forms/esdc-emp5602(2015-09-004)e.pdf

A nice summary on how the Express Entry system is doing since it's introduction in January.

http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/express-entry-draw-18/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irlcad

Another English test and another educational assessment if applying under FSW (which you would be unless you have 1+ years of Canadian work experience)

Hi, what's the significance of having worked one year or more in Canada? More EE points, pushing you over the 500 mark? Thanks

irlcad wrote: »
    Hi, what's the significance of having worked one year or more in Canada? More EE points, pushing you over the 500 mark? Thanks

You get a few more points for have a year's work experience in Canada and you also qualify for the Canadian Experience Class stream of EE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

newwan wrote: »
    I am applying to do postgraduate medical training in canada. Does anyone know anything about the visa or perm residence status required for that?

I would say, at a minimum, anyone looking to study in Canada, but without the country's citizenship or permanent resident status, will have to apply for a study visa. My brother had to do the same before being allowed to enter the US to begin his PhD studies. He did apply under a simplified procedure available to Canadian citizens otherwise not entitled to live in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Manitoba2015

Hey i am in the process of doing the express entry i will give you a low down of my prices so far. All in canadian $

Express entry processing fee 550

Then there is right of PR fe 490
    I paid these to together upfront you can pay separately.
    Celpip English Test -265
    Canadian Medical Upfront Non EDE Worker-330

Just over 2 months in and its going good if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. if i can help i will.:)

Hey i am in the process of doing the express entry i will give you a low down of my prices so far. All in canadian $

Celpip English Test -265

Just over 2 months in and its going good if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. if i can help i will.:)

At what point do you have to pay the processing fee and the right of PR fee?

At what point do you have to pay the processing fee and the right of PR fee?

You have to pay the processing fee upfront as soon as you submit your application it's rough $550 ... You are also giving the option of paying the rprf also so that's another $480 roughly. I decided to pay both my fees upfront.. But if you choose to pay just processing fee your rprf comes as a request usually after your initial review of eligibility is done which can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months.. Cec route for a straight forward case is averaging 2/4 months which is crazy quick for pr.. My own case is in the final checks now and I hope for a decision in the next month to 6 weeks.. Any more questions feel free to ask if I can help I will:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

You have to pay the processing fee upfront as soon as you submit your application it's rough $550 ... You are also giving the option of paying the rprf also so that's another $480 roughly. I decided to pay both my fees upfront.. But if you choose to pay just processing fee your rprf comes as a request usually after your initial review of eligibility is done which can be anything from 2 weeks to 2 months.. Cec route for a straight forward case is averaging 2/4 months which is crazy quick for pr.. My own case is in the final checks now and I hope for a decision in the next month to 6 weeks.. Any more questions feel free to ask if I can help I will:)

Surprised to see it's so quick now. I waited eleven months for COPR after paying my RPRF.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Surprised to see it's so quick now. I waited eleven months for COPR after paying my RPRF.

New express entry buddy awful hard to meet what's expected but once you do it's a quick process.. Hoping have ppr in coming weeks :)

Does anyone know if one is nominated by a province is one legally obligated to stay in that province?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamie1983

Hi all,

quick question in regards to the medical for CEC. I'm due to do it next week and am a little bit worried about it.

Firstly I suffer from a mental health issue (an anxiety disorder which I have received some treatment for while in Canada. Will this count against me or be a possibility to be disqualified?

Also on my medical history over here there is an admission of cannabis use? Any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Hi, I applied for a got a Manitoba nomination. I live in Winnipeg. I've sent off my application and am just waiting on word back. I expect I should get it. Anyway, question is:
    Since I applied through the nomination program, am I tied to MB for any length of time of can I free roam to BC or Van or wherever?

Jamie1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,

quick question in regards to the medical for CEC. I'm due to do it next week and am a little bit worried about it.

Firstly I suffer from a mental health issue (an anxiety disorder which I have received some treatment for while in Canada. Will this count against me or be a possibility to be disqualified?

Also on my medical history over here there is an admission of cannabis use? Any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

Thanks

The cost of your ongoing treatment will be assessed the treatment cost can't exceed $6387 per year

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jamie1983

Jamie1983 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Anyone have any experience or insights on the above. My medical is next week, would like to know what I'm facing!

Thanks

Physical exam, urine , blood, x Ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Celpip English Test -265

Thanks for the info. I'm in Ireland and sitting the IELTS shortly. Is the list you've outlined above applicable here also? Should I be attempting to apply for work before getting IELTS & Qualification Assessments finalised? What would you consider a minimum CA$ salary for living in VA - sharing apartment?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never applied for PR, but have you ever been on a WHV, northgirl? I'd imagine it's tricky to get PR without a job offer. The criteria are quite high, and I think you lose out on a significant amount of points if you don't have a job offer. Most people tend to apply either on the back of a job offer, or because they're already in Canada on a WHV, in my experience.
    northgirl wrote: »
    What would you consider a minimum CA$ salary for living in VA - sharing apartment?

Sharing a 1-bed with a partner: I'd expect ~$1500 per month in a desirable area for the apartment the way things are (so $750 each). A room in a house-share looks really expensive right now too. I'm seeing figures like $900+ for kits or downtown, $700 for near Commercial Drive or Main street, and $550+ for further out in east van.

If you were to aim for one-third of your net salary on rent, you'd be looking for a gross minimum of $25,000 to share in a further out, less desirable, [generally] more run-down area, up to gross ~$40,000 for sharing a place downtown or in Kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Faith wrote: »
    I never applied for PR, but have you ever been on a WHV, northgirl? I'd imagine it's tricky to get PR without a job offer. The criteria are quite high, and I think you lose out on a significant amount of points if you don't have a job offer. Most people tend to apply either on the back of a job offer, or because they're already in Canada on a WHV, in my experience.

Sharing a 1-bed with a partner: I'd expect ~$1500 per month in a desirable area for the apartment the way things are (so $750 each). A room in a house-share looks really expensive right now too. I'm seeing figures like $900+ for kits or downtown, $700 for near Commercial Drive or Main street, and $550+ for further out in east van.

If you were to aim for one-third of your net salary on rent, you'd be looking for a gross minimum of $25,000 to share in a further out, less desirable, [generally] more run-down area, up to gross ~$40,000 for sharing a place downtown or in Kits.

Hi Faith,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I'm not on a WHV and I don't have a job offer. I have completed the eligibility tests which indicated that I may be eligible so I decided to give it a shot. I know I am probably setting myself up to fail but I feel that if I don't try I will always wonder.

I do have a lot of work experience behind me and a Masters Degree in my field and I'm just somewhat hopeful that if I can do well enough with the IELTS, the combination might get me into the pool.

If you really don't think I have a breeze then I'll be sad.. :o but I'll live. Anyway the exam is in the next couple of weeks so it's paid for now and then I'll have my credentials assessed.

Really great to hear the information on the apartment sharing costs. I'll be by myself if I go but I think I've bigger hurdles to overcome before I get to those by the sounds of it. :)

northgirl wrote: »
    Hi Faith,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I'm not on a WHV and I don't have a job offer. I have completed the eligibility tests which indicated that I may be eligible so I decided to give it a shot. I know I am probably setting myself up to fail but I feel that if I don't try I will always wonder.

I do have a lot of work experience behind me and a Masters Degree in my field and I'm just somewhat hopeful that if I can do well enough with the IELTS, the combination might get me into the pool.

If you really don't think I have a breeze then I'll be sad.. :o but I'll live. Anyway the exam is in the next couple of weeks so it's paid for now and then I'll have my credentials assessed.

Really great to hear the information on the apartment sharing costs. I'll be by myself if I go but I think I've bigger hurdles to overcome before I get to those by the sounds of it. :)

You can work out your points total on this site

http://www.bellallianceglobal.com/CRS-Score-Calculator

You need to be scoring about 480-490 at the moment to have a chance of being selected but the last few draws have been quite high points, it has been as low as ~450 at the start of the year - previous draws are here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/rounds.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

You can work out your points total on this site

You need to be scoring about 480-490 at the moment to have a chance of being selected but the last few draws have been quite high points, it has been as low as ~450 at the start of the year - previous draws are here

You get 600 points for arranged employment is that right ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

Charizard wrote: »
    You get 600 points for arranged employment is that right ??

600 points for a valid LMIA or PNP. Needs to meet very specific criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orndog

Hi everyone,

Myself and my husband are moving to Vancouver this month on the IEC visa but intend to apply for permanent residency within a few months of arriving (assuming we like Canada!).

Has anyone used an immigration agent to apply or spoken to an agent for advice? Do you think it is necessary?

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question, but can you apply for an Express Entry from outside Canada?

Apologies if this is a silly/obvious question, but can you apply for an Express Entry from outside Canada?

Express Entry is the system used by CIC for permanent resident applications.

System being the key word.

So yes.

Wondering if someone can clarify something.

I submitted my express entry application last night. I got a message almost immediately telling me that I was no longer eligible for the express entry. Is that just a temporary error while my application is checked? I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be eligible. I have the following:

- over 10 years experience in my field
    - a Bachelors Degree
    - a recent English test
    - will have over $20,000 when moving to Canada

I think when it asked if I have an ECA, I said 'no' as my ECA is just being processed at the minute. Could that be the thing that's throwing it off?

I think when it asked if I have an ECA, I said 'no' as my ECA is just being processed at the minute. Could that be the thing that's throwing it off?

Yes, if you have no recent Canadian work experience, then you need a complete ECA before you can apply for Express Entry.

Yes, if you have no recent Canadian work experience, then you need a complete ECA before you can apply for Express Entry.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I have 2 years Canadian work experience, but it was over 4 years ago, so I don't think that counts!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah I have 2 years Canadian work experience, but it was over 4 years ago, so I don't think that counts!

Yeah it has to be within the last 3 years for it to count.

• Advertisement

I've asked a few questions here and I appreciate the help.

I have another one: Can I enter Canada (on a tourist visa), while the express entry is being processed?

I've asked a few questions here and I appreciate the help.

I have another one: Can I enter Canada (on a tourist visa), while the express entry is being processed?

Yep that's allowed. Just make sure you have a return ticket and enough money to fund your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Uggs123

Hi everyone. Im looking for advice on becoming sponsored through my spouse for permanent residency. We are both currently living in ireland. My husband got his pr approved last year and we are hoping to go to canada this year.
    It seems that he needs to be in canada to sponsor me and i can apply through outland application. Is there any way that i can join him over there while my application is being processed? And if so could I work?
    Thanks

Uggs123 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Im looking for advice on becoming sponsored through my spouse for permanent residency. We are both currently living in ireland. My husband got his pr approved last year and we are hoping to go to canada this year.
    It seems that he needs to be in canada to sponsor me and i can apply through outland application. Is there any way that i can join him over there while my application is being processed? And if so could I work?
    Thanks

Were you married or had you been living together for more than a year before your husband got PR? Has he entered Canada as PR yet?

Were you married or had you been living together for more than a year before your husband got PR? Has he entered Canada as PR yet?

We have lived together for 6 years. We got married last month. We were both in canada under the IEC visa from 2014-2016. My husband got pr approved in july 2016 and he went to canada to activate it but has not been over since to work.

• Advertisement

We have lived together for 6 years. We got married last month. We were both in canada under the IEC visa from 2014-2016. My husband got pr approved in july 2016 and he went to canada to activate it but has not been over since to work.

Did he include you at all in his PR application?

Did he include you at all in his PR application?

No he just put his own name on it. It was apparently quicker to do so.

No he just put his own name on it. It was apparently quicker to do so.

Unfortunately you're kind of screwed.

You should have been included as a common law partner and done a medical etc.. It wouldn't have made any difference to processing times, just would have required you to produce police certs and have a medical.

Now that he has landed as PR, he cannot sponsor you at all. Canada immigration has a rule that all family members that can be sponsored for PR have to be included on the initial application or else they can never be sponsored.

You should consult with an Immigration Lawyer asap if you still wish to move to Canada.

Unfortunately you're kind of screwed.

You should have been included as a common law partner and done a medical etc.. It wouldn't have made any difference to processing times, just would have required you to produce police certs and have a medical.

Now that he has landed as PR, he cannot sponsor you at all. Canada immigration has a rule that all family members that can be sponsored for PR have to be included on the initial application or else they can never be sponsored.

You should consult with an Immigration Lawyer asap if you still wish to move to Canada.

We didnt live together for the full 12 months prior to him filling out his application. And he hasnt moved to canada yet to work.
    Does this make a difference?

We didnt live together for the full 12 months prior to him filling out his application. And he hasnt moved to canada yet to work.
    Does this make a difference?

Possibly. I think it would depend on the circumstances (which is why consulting an immigration lawyer is an excellent idea).

In any case it's not just the date that he filled out the application that matters, it's everything up to the date that he landed. So if at any point during the process you passed the 12 month threshold then he should have mentioned this when landing (part of the landing process is declaring that nothing material has changed with your application).

Assuming that he could sponsor you, then he would need to move to Canada first (PRs can only sponsor from within Canada). You would then submit the application. Once first stage has passed (Sponsor approval), you could potentially move to Canada as a visitor but you wouldn't be able to work. There is no work permit option with the outland spousal application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Google Express Entry; Its free but you may require various exams/certs that cost money; eg police certs/medical/language tests ete.
    If you type 'Express Entry' into the search bar on www.cic.gc.ca it has a structured breakdown of all that is required.[font=arial, sans-serif]  [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Talkinghands87

Google Express Entry; Its free but you may require various exams/certs that cost money; eg police certs/medical/language tests ete.
    If you type 'Express Entry' into the search bar on www.cic.gc.ca it has a structured breakdown of all that is required.[font=arial, sans-serif]  [/font]

So it's still an option to apply even though in not there anymore? Do you know from the day of applying to actually going how long you have?

So it's still an option to apply even though in not there anymore? Do you know from the day of applying to actually going how long you have?
    If you get accepted (I am unsure of the current time-frame); maybe 9 months from scratch, you will be granted a COPR with an expiration date by which you must make your ''landing''. 
    ''Landing'' being the date you activate your PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
Advertisement