Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf battery upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

extremetaz wrote: »
    Why is the NCT and the log book bring brought in to this? Neither have any thing to do with such a modification
    The log book doesn't list anything about the battery and I see no need for that to change.
    The NCT can check that the thing isn't about to fall out, but they're not qualified to do any more than that.

Anyone who knows what goes into building a reliable lithium pack, and how that pack interacts with the car to begin with, already knows that there's not much room for error and the safety interlocks are substantial. There needs to be standards and certification for aftermarkets packs, definitely - absolutely no question about that. Once that certification is achieved though, the insurance company will have to view it like any other servicable part, and you don't see them voiding claims because you switch your brake pads from EBC to Juratek, or your tires from Bridgestone to Firestone...

Once the part is certified as being fit for use they've no case, or justification, for concern. It's that simple. So the only question is what that certification process looks like. The standards governing EV packs, that I'm aware of, are IEC 12405, 19453 and 60254. Which components of each need to be observed I'd have to read through to find out (and I'm not going to because I don't need to - and lets face it, nobody would unless they do!), but that's the place to start where all of that is concerned.

*edit: A very quick google also brought up this (which I've also not read yet, but at least its free to view unlike most IEC standards).

I mention the NCT as the vehicle should have a valid NCT. I mention the logbook because I am pretty sure my logbook has the battery capacity written on it, but I might be mistaken. A higher capacity battery will add value to the car and if this is on the logbook, you then have grounds to argue that value when the insurer tries to low-ball you in the event of a claim for a stolen, or written off car.

Insurance companies are still a cartel getting away with so much, it makes my blood boil. What they should do and what they actually do are not aligned. I renewed my insurance the other day. My renewal quote was pretty good and I went with it, but I also shopped around before paying the premium. Insurers are still asking the sex of proposer and named persons, even though they supposedly can't change the price based on gender. They still view Japanese imports as some sort of bomb, unless of course the car was sold new through a dealership here. They still ask about non motor related convictions and they will use ANY excuse to get out of paying a claim.

I agree that once the replacement is certified, there should be nothing else required. In practice, the insurer will simply refuse to quote anything outside the norm and you may well be priced out of the market. I have experienced this BS a number of times and it can be difficult to get around. Some examples below.

*I had trouble insuring a Mazda Bongo I was using as a commercial vehicle. Most insurers didn't have it listed and wouldn't go further than that. "Sorry, it's not on our system". I had to complete an offline application and the price was prohibitively expensive.

*I found it very difficult to insure a Mitsubishi FTO when I purchased one. Nobody would quote a jap import. My full clean Irish DL with over 10 years NCB made no difference. I was about to sell the car on when I got lucky and insured it online, but I was stuck with the same insurer for years at their mercy.

*I was unable to insure a road legal quad. I rang every insurer and broker listed and I was told that I needed to have x amount of my own farm land to be able to get a quote, even though it was a road quad which had been legally driven on European roads before coming to Ireland.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Anyone who thinks that an Insurance company wont be able to void a policy based on a 3rd party batter install is kidding themselves.
    At the very least, this change needs to be reported to and agreed by your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

pszemo wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    My upgrade is for everyone with Nissan Leaf from 2011 to 2016 who wants to give a second life to his car.
    I'm offering replacement your old battery modules with brand new LG Chem cells.

OP, maybe register/advertise here:

https://insideevs.com/news/443871/world-map-for-battery-replacing-companies/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hasse

Seeing the Nissan eNV200 is basically a NV200 with Leaf battery and Drivetrain, would it be possible to get this battery replacement for a eNV200?
    Trying to find an electric 7 seater without spendingTesla Model X kind of money, and a eNV200 seems to be only potential option.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

hasse wrote: »
    Seeing the Nissan eNV200 is basically a NV200 with Leaf battery and Drivetrain, would it be possible to get this battery replacement for a eNV200?
    Trying to find an electric 7 seater without spendingTesla Model X kind of money, and a eNV200 seems to be only potential option.

According to the internet, the env200 has active battery cooling, so should not suffer anything like the same battery degradation as the leaf, so should not be required.
    Although I haven't checked, the battery warranty might be different on the env200(as it is actively cooled), so if there was a problem, it might be covered under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 hasse

kierank01 wrote: »
    According to the internet, the env200 has active battery cooling, so should not suffer anything like the same battery degradation as the leaf, so should not be required.
    Although I haven't checked, the battery warranty might be different on the env200(as it is actively cooled), so if there was a problem, it might be covered under warranty.

Actually the main reason I would be interested would be battery capacity. As I understood the initial post in the thread it would be possible to replace with larger capacity.

The env200 is lagging substantially behind the Leaf in capacity. 40KWh was only introduced in 2018 and is currently the largest capacity available., So if I can get my hands on a second hand one it will almost definitely be 24KWh, which is a bit small for such a big car, particularly for a one car family...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

zg3409 wrote: »

Why would anyone bother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

These are going to be quite popular with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Leaf owners over the next few years I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Surely this is the way forward, replacing or adding batteries instead of changing cars? If you're interested in EVs but don't want to put down big money upfront you can pick up a cheap leaf and upgrade the battery.

What will this market look like in 4-5 years time when more secondhand EVs become available like the ID3.

Well done Eamon !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a bit more than that, they will now be carrying out these upgrades themselves in Ireland.
    Well, I think they will be.
    Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Cause not everyone has the funds for a 250 km EV but might stretch to a cheap leaf and battery upgrade.

Cause some people are very eco minded and would rather keep a car going for longer by replacing a part (albeit a very large part!).

Cause the original leaf is an awesome car and with extra range over what the 30 kw model offers becomes useful to a wider audience (ok - this one is a stretch!)

In fairness though - the cost for the range and the eco angle I would see being the main two reasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just the principle of it, prove it can be done and want to do it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

cannco253 wrote: »
    Surely this is the way forward, replacing or adding batteries instead of changing cars? If you're interested in EVs but don't want to put down big money upfront you can pick up a cheap leaf and upgrade the battery.

What will this market look like in 4-5 years time when more secondhand EVs become available like the ID3.

Well done Eamon !

The way forward is batteries that don't need to be replaced, we're probably at that stage already with 60+ Kwh of battery, might have useful range for the life of the car.

When you pay for cheap leaf and new battery it's not so cheap any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The way forward is batteries that don't need to be replaced, we're probably at that stage already with 60+ Kwh of battery, might have useful range for the life of the car.

When you pay for cheap leaf and new battery it's not so cheap any more.

Any Leaf, even the ones with the most severe battery degradation, have enough useful range for the life of the car. Obviously not with somebody who does a 200km commute. But with someone using it for very short trips, second family car, old age pensioner, etc.

Agree with your previous point though, why bother? Others have given good reasons, but I agree with you, there is no economic argument for doing it at current commercial prices. You will lose a bomb of money if you get it done in most cases. Spend €6k on an upgrade and your car will be worth max €3k more. So you lose €3k instantly when this job is done

Now this market is very new in Ireland and if you get your car done with the aim of getting trained up in the Netherlands (where EV / all things to do with electric mobility are years ahead of us) and doing other cars commercially over here, there is a gap in the market here, somebody could be setting themselves up for a good business here

Isn't it obvious? You might have a leaf with 90 km range which you just can't live with. Get the upgrade and you're sorted for 5 more years at least. Cheaper than buying a new car by far and the price will start creeping down I'm sure.

You won't see it promoted by any dealers though, not good for their business to see this.

JPA wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious? You might have a leaf with 90 km range which you just can't live with. Get the upgrade and you're sorted for 5 more years at least. Cheaper than buying a new car by far

In cash outflow maybe, but you lose significant money instantly on the conversion. So in total cost of ownership it almost certainly is cheaper to buy another EV with more range

Many people in Ireland do not understand that concept though as they can not see beyond actually handing over money as the only way or form of the cost of something :p

Not at all a dig at you BTW, just a general observation.

unkel wrote: »
    In cash outflow maybe, but you lose significant money instantly on the conversion. So in total cost of ownership it almost certainly is cheaper to buy another EV with more range

Many people in Ireland do not understand that concept though as they can not see beyond actually handing over money as the only way or form of the cost of something :p

Not at all a dig at you BTW, just a general observation.

That is true for the likes of you who maybe plans out their next 3 cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the 'engine' and body of an EV should last a long time. I see some old ICE cars on the road, old Corollas of 20/25. Why not either extend or replace the failing battery?

JPA wrote: »
    That is true for the likes of you who maybe plans out their next 3 cars!

What makes you think that, I've never planned for any car ahead when I bought a car :p

I'm good at getting value for money when buying things though and from my background I can do cost calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Water John wrote: »
    I think the 'engine' and body of an EV should last a long time. I see some old ICE cars on the road, old Corollas of 20/25. Why not either extend or replace the failing battery?

Exactly. If body work is in great shape I'd upgrade the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

physioman wrote: »
    Exactly. If body work is in great shape I'd upgrade the battery.

Even if it makes no financial sense ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Every owner makes their choice in the matter of cost/return.

People go into car dealers every day and buy new cars and it makes no financial sense.

People go into car dealers every day and buy new cars and it makes no financial sense.

You got in before I could reply. New cars dont make financial sense. But we need people to buy new so there is a 2nd hand car market. I drive a 04 yaris that cost me 850 euro. It's very reliable and does what I need it to do. I spend the money I'm saving on what my kids need. Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Good point, still it would be nice to have a better value upgrade that made saving old leafs worthwhile from a financial perspective. Without a cost effective option a lot of Leafs will be scrapped, not very green, shows the value of a "lifetime battery".

With Teslas move to the structural cell battery (4680) the secondhand automotive battery/module market looks like it will not be long lived. It seems the preferred recycling route is to grind the cells up and extract the chemicals.

You got in before I could reply. New cars dont make financial sense.

Sometimes they do. My last car that I bought brand new cost me less per month than the banger I had before that, which cost just €600 to buy (and on which I spent less than €100 in maintenance)

unkel wrote: »
    Sometimes they do. My last car that I bought brand new cost me less per month than the banger I had before that, which cost just €600 to buy (and on which I spent less than €100 in maintenance)

But how much did you buy it for brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

I think people hate the fact it could prolong chademo use amongst the network.
    If the body work is good and no other underlying issues.... Just upgrading the battery can be worthwhile and make sense. Its being said that it will probably get cheaper in the years ahead.

The devil you know etc....

But how much did you buy it for brand new?

€25k. Sold 3 years later for €20k. 3 years tax €360, 3 years servicing and maintenance €0, 3 years fuel €100, 2 tyres with fitting €180. That's it apart from insurance. Also saved about €500 on tolls because it's an EV

A banger that someone gave me for free would have cost more..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://youtu.be/1Dwsk9lnr6I

Pretty economical upgrade to 30kWh (breakdown at the end). Shade over 2k after selling the 24kWh battery.

Advertisement