Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 130 - thoughts?

Options
  • 07-09-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Considering the purchase of a Garmin Edge 130 at the moment - the prices seem quite reasonable at the moment and much reduced from earlier prices, for some reason, possibly being replaced by the Edge 130 Plus?

Anyone here have any thoughts - pros and cons of the Edge 130? Just looking for a basic computer with a little more battery life than the Edge 25. Thanks for any comments etc. etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-edge-130-in-depth-review.html
    No personal experience but this guy will guide you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^
    wot he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have one - the only issue I have with it is that it takes much longer than my Edge 1030 to get a GPS signal. I use it on my commuter and I'm often stopped for 90 seconds trying to get a signal when leaving the house. I've tried updates, toggling GPS / GLONASS etc but just takes a while. That is the only flaw I've found with it though.

I've never tried the very basic maps function - but good in terms of data display, you can get quite a few data fields on a relatively small screen, and connects to all sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Luxman wrote: »
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-edge-130-in-depth-review.html
    No personal experience but this guy will guide you right.

Many thanks for this link - much appreciated.

I have one - the only issue I have with it is that it takes much longer than my Edge 1030 to get a GPS signal. I use it on my commuter and I'm often stopped for 90 seconds trying to get a signal when leaving the house. I've tried updates, toggling GPS / GLONASS etc but just takes a while. That is the only flaw I've found with it though.

I've never tried the very basic maps function - but good in terms of data display, you can get quite a few data fields on a relatively small screen, and connects to all sensors.

Many thanks for this helpful information - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm half considering getting an edge130 too as my flashing front light is affecting my cheap and cheerful wireless cateye computer. I'm looking for something that works off satellite but on a budget. I don't need anything fancy as I usually have strava running on my phone in the saddle bag.
    When it does pick up a signal, does it hold it well?
    Could I turn it on and have it searching for the satellites as I'm filling my water water bottle and getting changed so it's ready to go as I hop on the bike?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes I've no issue once it picks up a signal including in forests or city centres with high-rise buildings. I've only really lost signal going through a tunnel etc.

I'd guess it takes 1-2 minutes on average. I live in an apartment so turning it on and then going out doesn't work for me as I'd lose signal on the way, it would depend on where you are when turning it on I guess.

Apparently if you connect it regularly to a PC there is a file that updates and helps it to find satellites quicker, but tbh I haven't noticed much difference from doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

I have one that I bought a few months ago from here: https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/garmin-edge-130/136927917/p

I seem to have gotten a great deal at the time as I got the bundle with the HRM strap for €137.50. (I did pay €14 shipping though, but it was still a better deal than I could find anywhere else at the time)
    I find it a great little GPS computer for my needs, you can configure the data fields you want to show etc.

I haven't noticed any issues with the GPS initializing and haven't experienced any drop outs either. I am in the habit of turning it on ready for road a short time before I leave anyway, so maybe thta's something to do with it. Battery life seems good too.

tobdom wrote: »
    I have one that I bought a few months ago from here: https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/garmin-edge-130/136927917/p

I seem to have gotten a great deal at the time as I got the bundle with the HRM strap for €137.50. (I did pay €14 shipping though, but it was still a better deal than I could find anywhere else at the time)
    I find it a great little GPS computer for my needs, you can configure the data fields you want to show etc.

I haven't noticed any issues with the GPS initializing and haven't experienced any drop outs either. I am in the habit of turning it on ready for road a short time before I leave anyway, so maybe thta's something to do with it. Battery life seems good too.

Interesting - bikeinn were offering the Edge 130 (without HRM) for €115 last week, but unfortunately, I missed out on it, it is now listed at €132. Will have to look around again, I know Halfords are advertising it at €117, but will not be near a store. Seems to be a good basis cycle computer etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maidhci wrote: »
    Interesting - bikeinn were offering the Edge 130 (without HRM) for €115 last week, but unfortunately, I missed out on it, it is now listed at €132. Will have to look around again, I know Halfords are advertising it at €117, but will not be near a store. Seems to be a good basis cycle computer etc. etc.

it's £99 on Amazon, bought one today (slight delay on delivery but should arrive next week).

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's £99 on Amazon, bought one today (slight delay on delivery but should arrive next week).

Thanks for that info - will look at it later on this evening, I haven't bought anything on Amazon before this - do you know if they accept PayPal as a payment method?

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for that info - will look at it later on this evening, I haven't bought anything on Amazon before this - do you know if they accept PayPal as a payment method?

I don't think they take Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

loyatemu wrote: »

Any chance of a link? I'm not finding it. :)

Any chance of a link? I'm not finding it. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CLS8899/

looks like it's out of stock but back at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

I bought one last week in Halfords... it was 118 with 10% off through a work scheme.. haven’t been able to try it out yet though..

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/garmin-edge-130-gps-cycling-computer-646613.html

emclau wrote: »
    I bought one last week in Halfords... it was 118 with 10% off through a work scheme.. haven’t been able to try it out yet though..

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/garmin-edge-130-gps-cycling-computer-646613.html
    Same here, picked it up this morning for €106 which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else.
    If anybody is looking for the 10% discount send me a pm and I'll fwd on the code.
    Thanks lads.

One quick question, what satellite are people using? My phone looses satellite signal the odd time when I'm out but usually around the same place. It also has me cutting corners thru fields. It'll be all road cycling at an absolute max of 2 hours so I won't be worrying about battery drainage.
    I've an option of
    GPS
    GPS+Glonas
    GOS+Galileo

Advertisement