Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home tennis court build

• 17-09-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi, have 2 young kids and have room behind my house and am thinking of putting down a tennis court, i reckon it might cost around 15k which includes tarmac, fended off etc, anyone ever build one and any ideas or tips etc, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raymond firstborn

Hi, have 2 young kids and have room behind my house and am thinking of putting down a tennis court, i reckon it might cost around 15k which includes tarmac, fended off etc, anyone ever build one and any ideas or tips etc, thanks

Before you start thinking of starting the project, you get an architect to give you a sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Don't use tarmac as a surface. Clay would be ideal but, if not, some type of astroturf would be better than tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Good points but why go to expense of an architect, im good with levels etc and its not rocket science, why not tarmac, its durable and cheapest option, clay or astroturf would be too dear, plus tarmac can be touched up in a few years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because rain? Also moss.

Wont the rain soak down through it and also i will put a small slope in it which wont be noticeable and will salt keep moss off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Before you start thinking of starting the project, you get an architect to give you a sketch.

To draw a sketch of a rectangle... really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Might be completely wrong but wouldn't clay be cheaper than tarmac?

Also how many houses I've seen across the country with ugly tennis courts that are in absolute ****e. Must have been an 80s fad.

For me OP it's a complete waste of money have them join a tennis club instead they'll make friends and improve their skills better than a back garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wont the rain soak down through it and also i will put a small slope in it which wont be noticeable and will salt keep moss off

Rain soak down in tarmac
    ..quality trolling or ....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Would astro turf be a better option as it could double as a soccer pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Don’t put salt down on tarmac. We did. It corroded the tarmac and got potholes which we had to repair. Not good for levels on a court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Go for it, we chose Astro and it is now used for tennis, badminton, volleyball, gaa and every other sport all year.

koheim wrote:
    Go for it, we chose Astro and it is now used for tennis, badminton, volleyball, gaa and every other sport all year.

Very good, sounds great, did it cost much, is it a full size court?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

Very good, sounds great, did it cost much, is it a full size court?

No, not full size that would be too big for young kids. Our playing area is 8m x 14m total area is 10m x 16 m

Should be no problem to keep within you budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I would say get an engineer to give you some advice. Key will be a solid base and suitable drainage, no matter what surface you go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

My best mate when we were kids had one at his house. Tarmac, with the proper net and surround fence. Savage job and many great games were played there. Funnily enough, never tennis :-)

For reference, I was looking at artificial grass at my own house. Initial prices for supply and fit were huge, but after talking to our landscaper he said he could do it for 25/m2 if it was the full width of a roll, with straight joints. He reckoned it was easy to put down in a full strip, but had to charge a lot to cover labour for cutting curves, fitting to verges, etc. The rolls comes in 4m or 2m widths.

Keep us updated as I would be interested in this too in the future - after the trampoline, swingset, treehouse, driveway tarmac, lawn seeded, wing wall, hedging, fencing, garage, etc. etc. are finished.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pitchfork

My advice, try a grass court for a year and see how everyone likes it. Dad got a tennis court built and used it for about a year (himself) and gradually it turned to a grass court over 35-40 years before we built a house on it. He didn't like cutting the grass and that's why he got a court built. Brother Sister and I ended up playing tennis in school/tennis club where there were other kids to play with after using it for about a year. I think Dad used the tennis club a lot more as well rather than the court. Anyway, best of luck and if you do build the court, the kids will find other uses for it if they don't like tennis so don't worry if tennis isn't played on the court (Astro might be a good idea).

Great replys and yea i will keep ye posted and thanks for advice too

Advertisement