Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet floor screws rusted and bowl not tight

• 11-09-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years my bathroom toilet has started to come loose however I cannot tighten the bolts into the floor as they are rusted and cannot be budged by screwdriver by me, I'm not sure what to do, hoping someone has suggestions here.

I was considering just using some kind of glue to just permanently lock it to the floor but really would rather not if possible.

I had thought of using an impact driver to try and budge it but am afraid of shattering the bowl.
    Another part of me thinks, why not just do that but I'd still have to get the bloody screw out of the tile floor.

Here's what one side looks like, the other is the same :

525994.jpg

All suggestions welcome!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Supercell wrote: »
    Over the years my bathroom toilet has started to come loose however I cannot tighten the bolts into the floor as they are rusted and cannot be budged by screwdriver by me, I'm not sure what to do, hoping someone has suggestions here.

I was considering just using some kind of glue to just permanently lock it to the floor but really would rather not if possible.

I had thought of using an impact driver to try and budge it but am afraid of shattering the bowl.
    Another part of me thinks, why not just do that but I'd still have to get the bloody screw out of the tile floor.

Here's what one side looks like, the other is the same :

525994.jpg

All suggestions welcome!

I would drill heads from screws, remove toilet bowl & use vice grip on stub of screws left behind.
    Replace with brass screws!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I would drill heads from screws, remove toilet bowl & use vice grip on stub of screws left behind.
    Replace with brass screws!

That sounds like a plan, definitely want to end up with better screws in place at the end.
    Would something like this be suitable for the job? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yakamoz-Double-Tungsten-Carbide-Rotary/dp/B06Y4MLSST/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3B1SY3QFENH81&dchild=1&keywords=dremel+drill+bits&qid=1599826107&sprefix=dremel+drill%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-14

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That sounds like a plan, definitely want to end up with better screws in place at the end.
    Would something like this be suitable for the job? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yakamoz-Double-Tungsten-Carbide-Rotary/dp/B06Y4MLSST/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3B1SY3QFENH81&dchild=1&keywords=dremel+drill+bits&qid=1599826107&sprefix=dremel+drill%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-14

No need, just use a 4mm dia drill bit to remove screw head. Head should just pop off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks, will give it a lash this weekend.

Thanks, will give it a lash this weekend.

Don’t forget, before replacing toilet bowl, replace “Doughnut” seal where bowl meets waste pipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Could you cut the screws insitu, at floor level with a multi tool. Use brass or stainless steel this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Could you cut the screws insitu, at floor level with a multi tool. Use brass or stainless steel this time.

Think stainless steel would be better for this, Was using brass screws for similar job and the softness of the brass led to the head of the screw deforming. I was using a lot of torque but the brass seemed very weak so had to be extra careful when tightening and unscrewing.

Think stainless steel would be better for this, Was using brass screws for similar job and the softness of the brass led to the head of the screw deforming. I was using a lot of torque but the brass seemed very weak so had to be extra careful when tightening and unscrewing.

Drill a pilot hole for the screw

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Drill a pilot hole for the screw

I did tabby, The top of the screw sheared on one of them too :eek: Had to use a vice grips to prize out the stump. Possibly a dodgy batch of brass. Still use brass screws for any decorative applications. Just anything that needs a strong tighten or could possibly need to be removed, Im a bit wary now.

I did tabby, The top of the screw sheared on one of them too :eek: Had to use a vice grips to prize out the stump. Possibly a dodgy batch of brass. Still use brass screws for any decorative applications. Just anything that needs a strong tighten or could possibly need to be removed, Im a bit wary now.

If you rub candle wax on them it helps also, I'd usually put brass screws in by hand, as you can feel them starting to wring off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

If you rub candle wax on them it helps also,

or dip them in wax or vaseline...helps lubricate them ...making it easier to screw them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've snapped a good few stainless steel screws, brass never. The trick with both on top of drilling a pilot hole is to drive a near identical steel screw with a drill/driver first. Then once removed you have a precut hole for your SS or brass screws. The reason I do this for brass screws is that you often damage the heads with the screwdriver bit if you have to apply to much torque but after driving a steel screw first that problem is removed.

It does take a load more time but its not a job you are going to do very often.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP How loose is the bowl? I bead of white silicone would stop any movement, but obviously you still have rusty screws to look at.
    I'd be wary of going at a rusted old screw in a porcelain bowl, make sure you have a sharp HSS bit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You could also shear the heads off with a small metal saw if it's rusted, they will be softer. Put some masking tape on the bowl, but even then, you probably wouldn't scratch it from sawing.

Advertisement