Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTD to return to Canada

Options
  • 12-09-2020 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys - I recently became a permanent resident in Canada. I need to return home soon but I am still waiting on my first PR card and I dont think I will have it in time and this will cause issues with my return flight.

I am going to apply for a permanent resident travel document when I arrive in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone else had recently applied for one to return to Canada and how long the processing time took?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Same thing happened me last year, I flew to Ireland before my PR card arrived in the post. Can't remember the exact timeframe but the PRTD would've taken too long for my trip so make sure you apply for that as soon as you get to Ireland! I was too late to apply so had to wing it and hope I could get on the flight in Dublin, luckily I was. My roommates in Canada took a photo of my PR card which arrived while I was in Ireland and I showed that to the immigration officer in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Processing time is normally under 1 week but you have to send the application to London so factor in postage time. Ideally you should use a courier as you have to send your passport.

Surprised the poster above was able to check in using a photocopy, usually airlines require the physical card. Is it possible you had an ETA that wasn't cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Processing time is normally under 1 week but you have to send the application to London so factor in postage time. Ideally you should use a courier as you have to send your passport.

Surprised the poster above was able to check in using a photocopy, usually airlines require the physical card. Is it possible you had an ETA that wasn't cancelled?

I didn't show anything in Dublin, they didn't ask for any proof of a visa. I used the photocopy with the immigration officer in Canada when I landed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I didn't show anything in Dublin, they didn't ask for any proof of a visa. I used the photocopy with the immigration officer in Canada when I landed

So you probably had an ETA that wasn’t yet cancelled. I definitely wouldn’t be relying on a photocopied PR card to check in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedwardoconnor

This is worrying. I'm due to return to Canada on December 12th, PR expired in October, applied for PRTD via email in early November (local VAC is closed). Any exerience with recent processing times that you can share would be very much appreciated.

I see one immigration law group saying that you should bring all your application documents with you if your PRTD has not yet been issued, but strongly recommends attempting to fly without one.

If it was just me going, it wouldn't be too bad, but I've the dog coming as well (in the hold), can't imagine they'd allow him travel alone and have the misses pick him up on the other side.
    raptor8383 wrote: »
    Hi guys - I recently became a permanent resident in Canada. I need to return home soon but I am still waiting on my first PR card and I dont think I will have it in time and this will cause issues with my return flight.

I am going to apply for a permanent resident travel document when I arrive in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone else had recently applied for one to return to Canada and how long the processing time took?

Thanks

Did you get your PRTD in the end? If so, how long did it take?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement