Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterproofing wall for Garden room

Options
  • 16-09-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’m planning on building a Garden room using an existing boundary wall.
    The wall is built with 9 inch cavities. The problem is the ground level on the outside is a couple of feet higher than on the inside.
    Can anyone advise the best course of action to ensure moisture doesn’t get into the room when complete.
    I was thinking of covering with a heavy duty plastic and then face of with another layer of solid blocks then dry line as normal.

Would this be overkill?

Thanks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO everything will be easier (foundations, drainage, guttering, neighbourly relations) if you build it with a gap to the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi,
    I’m planning on building a Garden room using an existing boundary wall.
    The wall is built with 9 inch cavities. The problem is the ground level on the outside is a couple of feet higher than on my side.
    Can anyone advise the best course of action to ensure moisture doesn’t get into the room when complete.
    I was thinking of covering with a heavy duty plastic and then face of with another layer of solid blocks then dry line as normal.

Would this be overkill?

Thanks.

Are you allowed build on a boundary wall like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you allowed build on a boundary wall like that?

I assume so. Couldn’t find anything obvious to the contrary
    Open to correction on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I assume so. Couldn’t find anything obvious to the contrary
    Open to correction on that...

Is it a shared boundary wall ? Do you own the wall?
    Have you checked the foundations ?

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO everything will be easier (foundations, drainage, guttering, neighbourly relations) if you build it with a gap to the boundary.

No issues with neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Lads if you don't mind I'm not looking for a lecture on planning law.

As I said, there is no issue with neighbours. The land at the other side of the wall is mine.

Now, any advise on the question I posted?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lads if you don't mind I'm not looking for a lecture on planning law.

As I said, there is no issue with neighbours. The land at the other side of the wall is mine.

Now, any advise on the question I posted?

Thanks.

I posted a link, that is all that happened.

You made it mean that you were being lectured, not the link and you made yourself a victim.

What young age conversation from your past triggered that reaction?

So its not a boundary wall in the context that it is used normally in this forum.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I posted a link, that is all that happened.

You made it mean that you were being lectured, not the link and you made yourself a victim.

What young age conversation from your past triggered that reaction?

So its not a boundary wall in the context that it is used normally in this forum.

You posted a link which answered a question i didn’t ask.
    No need for your immature, holier than thou insults.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, putting aside the misunderstanding of "boundary", I don't like your proposal.

It's like a bad cavity wall. It doesn't have enough space to breathe, there's no wall ties, it's just two separate walls really really close to each other.

If the membrane gets punctured e.g. by drilling into the wall too far to put up shelves then you have an unfixable problem.

If you come to sell off the land the other side of the wall then the buyer will be put off by this structure. I know this because this was exactly the issue with my current house - it has a knackered old shed built on the boundary. We almost walked away from it, and then after purchase had to tread really carefully to avoid getting into a boundary dispute.

If you've the space, just build it away from the wall.

This is obviously just my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement