Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outdoor relay

• 01-09-2020 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi Folks, any suggestions for a smart outdoor relay? I am going to pull a power supply for some lights off the power supply for the electric gate and I want to switch them on/off in addition to having a proximity sensor so Im looking for something that can do this.

Steinel have a zigbee sensor but it doesnt have good reviews from what I can see

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How about a Sonoff switch in an IP rated enclosure? They are cheap, reliable and will be able to stand up to the elements if installed in a suitable enclosure. It will require WiFi but that applies to most / all smart switching devices. The proximity sensor can be wired in parallel to the Sonoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

2011 wrote: »
    How about a Sonoff switch in an IP rated enclosure? They are cheap, reliable and will be able to stand up to the elements if installed in a suitable enclosure. It will require WiFi but that applies to most / all smart switching devices. The proximity sensor can be wired in parallel to the Sonoff.

was also going to recommend the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

2011 wrote: »

I was thinking something in an enclosure was the only way. Wifi is my next challenge alright, im thinking maybe i could put a powerline wifi extender in the enclosure also. Garage is about 50 metres away so a wifi signal might not be great from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

what kind of powerline are you watching to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

tech wrote: »
    what kind of powerline are you watching to use?

i havent looked in to it yet, any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jimmy_t wrote: »
    I was thinking something in an enclosure was the only way. Wifi is my next challenge alright, im thinking maybe i could put a powerline wifi extender in the enclosure also. Garage is about 50 metres away so a wifi signal might not be great from there

Maybe it would be best to invest in a powerful router and strategically position it within the house so that the Sonoff can connect to it.
    Remember they operate on 2.5 GHz

Advertisement