Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasket viewing platform

Options
  • 05-08-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I’ve missed a thread and this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but is anyone else struggling to see the point of the new Blasket viewing platform?

There are existing stopping areas at the Slea Head crucifix and near the old Slea Head hotel which offer far better vantage points than the new platform. They are higher up, closer as the crow flies, and at a better angle to Great Blasket. Better still are the views from up on top of Dunmore Head or way out at the tip of it (my elderly parents can do that walk comfortably).

And of course these pre-existing viewing spots are free. It’s not clear to me from the various press releases and news reports, but I’m assuming that the new viewing platform is in the part of the Blasket Visitor Centre that you have to pay to enter. If this is correct, charging people to view something that is best seen for free somewhere else doesn’t seem right.

Slea Head Drive is my favourite place in the World. I like the Blasket Visitor Centre and always recommend it to tourists and friends. And I’m really looking forward to seeing the other aspects of the redevelopment. But this viewing platform seems pointless at best and a bit of a tourist trap at worst.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Probably usual Irish story, they got funding and had to piss it away on some vanity project no-one wanted or looked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

I had the day off today and on a bit of an impulse I went on a day trip to see the new platform for myself. Admission to the platform *appears* to be free. My uncertainty is only because the whole visitor centre was “saor in aisce inniu” so it’s hard to be sure. But you access the platform without entering the visitor centre via a new path that skirts around the building.

I have to admit that the whole thing is very nicely done. The borders of the long path currently look a bit barren but this is nothing that some shrubs and flowers wouldn’t fix. The platform itself has that rust chic look that seems to be all the rage at the moment. Nice wooden seats.

But my central objection stands which is that because the platform is build almost at sea level it is actually in a very bad vantage point. The views from Slea Head and Dunmore Head slightly earlier in my day were much better. And because most visitors do the Slea Head loop clockwise, this viewing platform will be a bit of an anticlimax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Probably usual Irish story, they got funding and had to piss it away on some vanity project no-one wanted or looked for.

I did a quick google to see if I could find out anything about the cost of this.

€2.6 million for the combined works described below sounds like lunacy.

I'd imagine most of this is going on the Blasket Centre given the "major upgrade" mentioned.

I'd love to see an actual business case for this spending on the Blasket Centre as any time I've been there it's been fairly quiet to say the least.

> The Viewing platform is part of a major programme of investment of €2,610,794 in the Blaskets by the strategic partnership of Fáilte Ireland, the OPW and the Department of Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht. The overall project includes the restoration of the original house on the Great Blasket Island of the renowned Island writer Tomás Ó Criomhthain, the development of a walkway and viewing platform at the clifftop site and a major upgrade of the exhibition at Ionad an Bhlascaoid.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/10f6f-spectacular-new-viewing-platform-opened-at-the-blasket-centre-on-the-wild-atlantic-way/

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I did a quick google to see if I could find out anything about the cost of this.

€2.6 million for the combined works described below sounds like lunacy.

I'd imagine most of this is going on the Blasket Centre given the "major upgrade" mentioned.

I'd love to see an actual business case for this spending on the Blasket Centre as any time I've been there it's been fairly quiet to say the least.

> The Viewing platform is part of a major programme of investment of €2,610,794 in the Blaskets by the strategic partnership of Fáilte Ireland, the OPW and the Department of Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht. The overall project includes the restoration of the original house on the Great Blasket Island of the renowned Island writer Tomás Ó Criomhthain, the development of a walkway and viewing platform at the clifftop site and a major upgrade of the exhibition at Ionad an Bhlascaoid.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/10f6f-spectacular-new-viewing-platform-opened-at-the-blasket-centre-on-the-wild-atlantic-way/

Expect stupid amounts spent when a free money feeding frenzy is involved.

How on earth did we manage without "viewing platforms" before?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I won't defend the spend, but part of the work seems to be a trail upgraded along the cliffs, which was badly needed as the cliffs are slumping and in the brief (5+) years I've been here and visited the place regularly, the erosion's obvious. But, they could've upgraded trails without doing a viewing platform, and frankly, what's to see?

• Advertisement

Uhh, shouldn't that be asked in the Tralee thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We didnt, hence the need for one

The new platform is attractive, visited it last week. Still free to go out on it and I think it always will, you don't need to go into the center to get to it.

The view is "o.k." from it, there's no telescopes or anything to zoom in which is disappointing, a coin-op telescope might generate some revenue. There are some great views from the trail (Lub na Cille) especially if you go up the hill across the road from the Ryan's Daughter set.

The platform itself, well, it's made of iron and wood. Seems like a bad idea to me, as it's right on the ocean's edge. Even if it's modern high-tech stuff, the ocean will win out. Should've been made of stone that's all that survives out here long term along the ocean.

All them hoards of ppl writing to their TDs and newspapers looking for a viewing platform to be built had to be satisfied I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭gifted

Same county that built the jeannie Johnson replica ship...14 million it cost in the end....obviously it wasn't their money....

• Advertisement

gifted wrote: »
    Same county that built the jeannie Johnson replica ship...14 million it cost in the end....obviously it wasn't their money....

Another fiasco. What's it doing now, rotting while tied at the quays in Dublin? I guess you could add the Blennerville steam train circus to the mix.

I was reading the first post, thinking of an answer...but think you got it word for word.

Sometimes, the projects in this country are just head in hands stuff. Like the redevelopment around the Hellfire Club in Dublin for €10 or €20 million, with the usual café and interpretative centre. Meanwhile, the State can't buy Luggala Estate half an hour out the road which would have provided a fantastic amenity for all outdoor enthusiasts, so it's sold at an undervalue.

The only thing I would add is you can probably bet some local TD wants and looks for these things.

Advertisement