Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden decking, garden sheds etc banned in Kerry? Holiday homes

Options
  • 04-08-2020 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys,

apologies for the slightly bananas thread title! I am writing on behalf of my parents and am working with the info that’s been given to me.

My folks own a mobile home in Kerry but are paying rent to a local landlord in a holiday village for the land it’s sitting on.

In the last few weeks he has approached them and other property owners to tell them that expensive wooden decking, garden sheds and just about anything else vaguely wooden must all be gotten rid off. Safety is being used as the justifier for this.

He is claiming that this is a law specific to Kerry (owing to a fire which started in a garden shed years ago).

My folks as well as others have asked him to produce a letter (or similar) to qualify this claim. Naturally, this has not been forthcoming.

Do you reckon that he is talking rubbish?

The same landowner charged them an obscene amount of ‘hello money’ and took maximum advantage of 5 and 20 km travel restrictions that were in place earlier in the year.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Unless it’s to do with planning laws, I don’t know. Tell your parents to seek legal advise or contact the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭galwayguy85

Hi, thanks for writing back.

I've told my parents that (more or less) already. I suspect that it's some form of intimidation on his part. He knows if anybody opposes him, he won't allow the renewal of the rental contract for the coming year.

With 'staycationing' likely to become the norm for the foreseeable future, all of this fella's Christmases may have come all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Move the mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

His land, his rules.

Thanks Dogg. Perhaps, but misquoting what is law is taking it a bit far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Contact details for Kerry County Council Planning Department

Room 13,
    Planning Department
    Rathass,Tralee,
    Co. Kerry
    Tel: 066/7183582
    Fax: 066/7120328
    E: plan@kerrycoco.ie

https://www.kerrycoco.ie/planning/online-planning-enquiry/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

I believe it is the enforcement of current rules that is the issue.As far as I know there should be 5 metres between vans and decking etc has been put in this area and needs to be moved or relocated in a lot of instances.This is the issue.

Ok, thanks for the helpful information!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mikey8683

There’s your letter ☺️

Advertisement