Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on curtains cost

Options
  • 04-09-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a new built, 3 bed semi detached house and have been looking for quotations which are surprisingly very expensive.

What's the average approximate cost to buy + install curtains? Nothing fancy!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Curtains are expensive.
    Decent ones from retail stores, Arnotts etc

We’ve spent €200 one set which wouldn’t be mega expensive but sounds expensive for curtains.

Although I fit them and the curtain poles myself. Could you not fit yourself?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fitted curtains - made to measure - are VERY expensive.

If you have relatively normal shaped windows you will find off the shelf variants in IKEA, HomeStore&More, Hickeys etc for anywhere from 30 quid a window up. If you have access to a sewing machine (and someone who can use it if you can't), shortening unlined curtains is very easy. Shortening lined or blackout curtains is beyond my skill level even with a sewing machine!

Get decent quality, neutral colour poles - these are not hard to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Quotations for curtains? You go to harry corry or homestore and more and see what's on sale. Buy the curtain poles while you're at it. Wooden ones are cheaper than steel.

I went with long curtains in the living room and short ones in other rooms. Allowed me to use lighter steel poles too which are cheaper.

You'll probably need a cordless drill to fit them. If you can nab your builder he might fit the curtain poles for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I bought a house that seems to have a lot of windows!! I too discovered the mental cost of getting curtains ( or blinds) made! Fortunately I discovered that by a little creative and buying double sets of each curtains I needed I could make things work. Ready mades that you buy made up with the type if tab you want to suit your pole come in all kinds of materials and designs - as someone else said - head to Home Store, Hickeys, the big TK MAx in Blanchardstown ( whatever its called now) , and a lode of others in retail parks also sell them reqdymade. The price difference is usually about a thousand euro a curtain so its worth your while to choose from the huge ranges available off the shelf!
    My ‘drop’ is the longest you can buy over the counter ( in Ireland) 90x90 and they come typically as 2 per pack and range from e120 or so up to about e200 or so depending in quality. I’d hold off for the sales as you can get some great bargains then. Someone told me about good charity shops where people often used do house clearances and they would give in sets of ‘vintage’ curtains - now in fashion or great for draught stopping old georgian doors. What is more frightening is the price if having curtains dry-cleaned - you definately din’t want to be dry cleaning old curtains or smelly curtains from a smokers house so choose carefully if you get lucky!! I’ve had most of mine up about 12 years so money well spent once you get it right! I also hd one shop bought set lined again for better insulation and that worked well for me. Again far cheeper than spending 1k on dressing a window in a house full of glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you’re not able to put up curtain poles yourself, get a handyman to do it. You can buy poles in lots of shops.
    Curtains - next, Harry Corry etc have a good range. Shop around for what you like.
    A relative of mine paid a crazy amount for curtains in a sitting room (4 windows) a few years ago. She’s sick of the sight of them now, but can’t justify getting rid because they were so dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Well I got quote in the range of 2000 euros for 3 bedroom windows, 1 living room (huge window) + 2 in the kitchen.

Maybe I need to buy the materials myself and then get a handyman from tradesmen.
    antix80 wrote: »
    Quotations for curtains? You go to harry corry or homestore and more and see what's on sale. Buy the curtain poles while you're at it. Wooden ones are cheaper than steel.

I went with long curtains in the living room and short ones in other rooms. Allowed me to use lighter steel poles too which are cheaper.

You'll probably need a cordless drill to fit them. If you can nab your builder he might fit the curtain poles for you.

Well I got quote in the range of 2000 euros for 3 bedroom windows, 1 living room (huge window) + 2 in the kitchen.

Maybe I need to buy the materials myself and then get a handyman from tradesmen.

Do yourself a favour. Take your window measurements to harry corrys, pick the curtains and poles you like, price them, and compare them to the €2000 quote. Retailers often can recommend local trademen who can give no obligation quotes.

Are the 2k curtains really that much better, or is it just a company that relies on people who don't shop around? It's not a huge amount for supply and fit but what's the material cost and how much are you just paying for convenience?

I don't know how big your huge window is, maybe that's what's driving the price up.. But don't pay €250 for a small made-to-measure curtain for the box room when €40 would do.

Yea i am going to follow your advice.
    The house is a standard 110 m2 semi detached.

I have found Blackout + Thermal curtains and nickle poles for €140 altogether on Homestore More.
    Do yourself a favour. Take your window measurements to harry corrys, pick the curtains and poles you like, price them, and compare them to the €2000 quote. Retailers often can recommend local trademen who can give no obligation quotes.

Are the 2k curtains really that much better, or is it just a company that relies on people who don't shop around? It's not a huge amount for supply and fit but what's the material cost and how much are you just paying for convenience?

I don't know how big your huge window is, maybe that's what's driving the price up.. But don't pay €250 for a small made-to-measure curtain for the box room when €40 would do.

The one thing I would say is to check the brackets- my curtains are too heavy for the poles I bought in Harry corry, because the brackets attaching the poles to the wall are very flimsy, so I had to find new ones.
    Also, make sure whoever is putting them up knows what they’re doing and has the right fixings for whatever type of walls are there.
    And- sometimes the screws/plugs etc that come with the curtain poles are rubbish. And buying better ones in a hardware store is no harm- it’s the girl In Harry Corry who said that to me, I wouldn’t have noticed myself

And yes. I started by saying I’d say one thing, but I said three :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you want something different, then one option is to go to the Fabric Outlet in Newbridge or Cork and select the fabric.
    They have hundreds and all 4.99/metre

They also can put you in touch or act as middle person for curtain makers.

We got a group made for €1100.

No ordinary group - one large bay window, one set of French doors and one set for rear windows.

Each set has slightly different lengths (240-260cm) to suit different rails and we also wanted a very heavy lining material.

But at the same time, we got ready made curtains from Kavanaghs for other rooms for about €90/set.

We looked at home store, but their quality was very poor.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    The one thing I would say is to check the brackets- my curtains are too heavy for the poles I bought in Harry corry, because the brackets attaching the poles to the wall are very flimsy, so I had to find new ones.

The main thing is the screws. If the walls have insulated slabs you need special screws. Not sure if that's a thing with new builds but my house was insulated with slabs and regular screws wouldn't have held.

Darc19 wrote: »
    We looked at home store, but their quality was very poor.

Definitely some of their curtains aren't great (shiny, tacky stripes or floral patterns) but some are decent and well you get what you pay for.

Shops often sell previously opened packs at a substantial discount. Actually i bought curtains in harry Corrys for €20, 80% off. I couldn't believe my luck til i got home and one was longer than the other. Still kept them for the spare room.

The main thing is the screws. If the walls have insulated slabs you need special screws. Not sure if that's a thing with new builds but my house was insulated with slabs and regular screws wouldn't have held.

No, it was the actual brackets. They’re screwed into the wall fine, but they’re actually bending with the weight of the curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 28,088 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I make my own curtains - I have about 30m of fabric of various sorts waiting to be made up (when the weather makes gardening less attractive) from the Fabric Outlet in Cork, amazing value at a fiver a meter.

However there are a few tricks you can use. Buy really quite nice lined curtains from the likes of Michael Guineys - you may have to wait until something you like comes in. If you hang them out of the packet they will hang like rags, because they use very cheap header tape. The trick is to buy good quality header tape from somewhere like Home Focus/Hickeys and replace it. Its not a massively complicated job and if you can't tackle it yourself one of the sewing repair shops will do it for you without the huge expense of making curtains.

If the curtains need to be shortened this is the time to do it, shorten them from the top. The hem, especially on a lined curtain, is much more complex -odd as it seems - to alter, so take off the tape and replace, and shorten as you replace it. Of course if you have bought curtains with ring holes then that is not an option, so if your windows are not standard it may be better to get curtains with tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Where would be a good place to buy strong/thick curtains/pole at a reasonable price? I need about 6 sets.

Homestore and more is where we found.
    ebayissues wrote: »
    Where would be a good place to buy strong/thick curtains/pole at a reasonable price? I need about 6 sets.

A quick question,

If window's width is 60 inch, do I look for 120 inch wide curtain to allow the "gather"? Or do they sell ready made curtains with the gather?

Advertisement