Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AA Emergency Car Hammer £1.49 @ Amazon

• 10-08-2011 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Found this @amazon,;cheap price。。:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

A link would be cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

Essential for any car in case your electric windows fail! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Gone up to an extortionate £2.18! :D
    (before postage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Higher demand since all that trouble kicked off in Tottenham over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No one likes to think about accidents happening, but preparation is the best form of defence. Give yourself extra peace of mind by keeping an AA Emergency Car Hammer in your glovebox. Sometimes seat belts jam after a collision and power locks and windows become disabled. The AA Emergency Car Hammer has an integral seat-belt cutter to cut through a safety belt in an emergency situation. The double-ended steel tips can quickly break through a window should you find yourself in a situation whereby there is no other means of escape. Every vehicle should have one.

F' all good a hammer in the glove box and my seat belt jammed eh AA :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yeah it's listed under technical details. "Perfect for any Glovebox" unless you actually need it to break into your car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Perfect for car thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Actually since watching a Mythbusters about your car going underwater, this is something I think every car should come with as standard.

They showed that unless you can get out right away or have a hammer like this to break the window and escape, the pressure of the water means your car has to sink to the bottom of the river, and fill with water (possibly a couple of minutes i.e. unless you can hold your breath for a considerable period of time you're mostly likely a goner) before the pressure is equalised enough to either open the doors or windows and escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Tabnabs wrote: »

Read on a bit farther.....
    No one likes to think about accidents happening, but preparation is the best form of defence. Give yourself extra peace of mind by keeping an AA Emergency Car Hammer in your glovebox. Sometimes seat belts jam after a collision and power locks and windows become disabled. The AA Emergency Car Hammer has an integral seat-belt cutter to cut through a safety belt in an emergency situation. The double-ended steel tips can quickly break through a window should you find yourself in a situation whereby there is no other means of escape. Every vehicle should have one.

That Mythbusters episode did make this look like a handy thing to have in the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

that or a scuba set.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Yeah it's listed under technical details. "Perfect for any Glovebox" unless you actually need it to break into your car :D

What if the glove box gets jammed:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

What if the glove box gets jammed

Well, you should have this glove box hammer in the back seat just in case :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

johnnykilo wrote: »
    They showed that unless you can get out right away or have a hammer like this to break the window and escape, the pressure of the water means your car has to sink to the bottom of the river, and fill with water (possibly a couple of minutes i.e. unless you can hold your breath for a considerable period of time you're mostly likely a goner) before the pressure is equalised enough to either open the doors or windows and escape.

Agree about the door, the pressure outside would be too great to open the door until the interior was almost full with water but when the car goes into the water the upper part of the door where the window is located would not be under pressure so unless the electrics were shorted the windows should open and it should be possible to wind down a manual window even if the car was well submerged in the water since you would not be competing with the inward pressure of the water as you would when trying to open the door since the door opens outwards.

By the time the car is completely submerged you would have no hope of opening electric windows because the car's electrical system would have shorted and the battery would be dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

nightster1 wrote: »
    What if the glove box gets jammed:eek:

C4
    love,
    Jaimie and Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

9.95 postage....makes it a dear bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

9.95 postage....makes it a dear bargain

Bought two of these as a 'filler' to get up to the 25 free postage limit, save it to your wish list and when you're a wee bit short get it then. Well worth it at 1.49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Alternative:

tumblr_ljv7kfzmrt1qino9uo1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭asharkman

Gone up to 3.98 now!
    I do want one though.
    Yea I seen that mythbusters episode too.
    Refuse to drive along rivers or lakes since!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Read on a bit farther.....

That Mythbusters episode did make this look like a handy thing to have in the car

Yeah, entirely missed my point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fermeen

Top Gear did a feature on this too
    Richard Hammond tried to escape using the wait until the pressure equalises.
    Spoiler:
    Would have died without scuba gear. Frightened the bejaysus out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

2.87 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Alternative:

tumblr_ljv7kfzmrt1qino9uo1_250.gif

i do love my brick

Dont know about elsewhere, but driving around dublin the only place i think i could end up in the drink is if i somehow veer off the east link bridge:D

Ill take my chances.

Dont know about elsewhere, but driving around dublin the only place i think i could end up in the drink is if i somehow veer off the east link bridge:D

Ill take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

Would be handy alright, even with electric windows isn't there a good chance that if they are working as you are sinking that once you start to wind down the window that the electrics will die with the water flooding in?

We don't have any manual winders but do have sliding doors in the back,
    what about escaping that way, that should work shouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sliding doors still need to open out a little before they slide...the weight of the water stops that being possible for human strength.

Advertisement