Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega Home Media Gigabit NAS 2TB Cloud Edition with DLNA Server and Torrent client

Options
  • 10-08-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Todays IBooD deal here does any one know if its a good deal? how does it compare with other media drives and prices? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 theangrypotato

I recommend checking out a few reviews on this before splashing the cash. For example:

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/iomega-home-media-network/4505-3382_7-34471769.html
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Media-Network-Drive-34766/dp/B004I3ZTU6

Being on the lookout for a decent NAS too, I've been checking out this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS211j-2-bay-Enclosure-Installed/dp/B0047CNXJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312967537&sr=8-3

It's pricey from the get go and you also have to add the price of 2 identical hard drives but with that you get a heck of a lot of features and more importantly the ability to set up RAID which allows for retrieval of your media library if things go whallop. Can't beat a backup for that however. It also gets some positive reviews which is good to see.
    On top of that there are iPhone apps (dunno about Android) that allow to to manage your files and stream music/photos remotely.

That synology DS211j has a quicker big brother too, the DS211 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS211-2-bay-Enclosure-Installed/dp/B0048NXAH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312968361&sr=8-1 but as expected there is an increase in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Joe_Soap

The DS211+ is currently going for £225 (only £1 more than the DS211).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004C9T2B8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Ordered myself one the other day but it'll be a couple of weeks before its delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

brmccfc wrote: »
    Todays IBooD deal here does any one know if its a good deal? how does it compare with other media drives and prices? thanks

Just be aware that it is not strictly a 'media drive', most people think of that as something that plugs into the TV and plays videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have the 1TB version, as above it's not a 'media' drive, it will store files but you'll still need a device to decode and play them.

Mine makes worrying noises now and again, I'm not very trusting of it as a long term storage solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Got this a few months back:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-ShareCenter-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B004AIWOXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312978672&sr=1-1

Very happy with it but you'll need to know your way around a linux terminal if you want to get the most out of it. You can get terminal access and then start installing software. I replaced the stock dlna media server and torrent server on the box as they weren't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Will never go near an iomega drive again, two of mine failed after about a year and they werent even used that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

one word. Freenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭john.martin

Anyone know if this NAS will work with a Logitech Squeezebox? Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

icrusader wrote: »
    one word. Freenas.

And a choice of buying either extremely expensive dedicated hardware for it, or running it on a power-hungry PC. I considered this a lot, and am much, much happier with my ~10W draw appliance NAS instead, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

snappieT wrote: »
    And a choice of buying either extremely expensive dedicated hardware for it, or running it on a power-hungry PC. I considered this a lot, and am much, much happier with my ~10W draw appliance NAS instead, thank you very much.
    Could be wrong here but could you not run Freenas off a secondhand laptop? Maybe pick one up for under e100 with a broken screen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Could be wrong here but could you not run Freenas off a secondhand laptop? Maybe pick one up for under e100 with a broken screen?

Is there anything you can run on a windows 7 machine that is similar to Freenas?

dingding wrote: »
    Is there anything you can run on a windows 7 machine that is similar to Freenas?
    Oh, you got me now dingding.

I'm not familiar with Windows7, but if you only wanted to share files over your network I would expect you would be able to set this up with folder sharing. For more advanced features, I haven't got a clue, I'm afraid.

or you could recycle an old pc or do what i did and use a 10w thin client with a laptop drive.

downloads your torrents while you sleep, streams movies to your games console, use it as automatic backup for your data or a network drive and did i mention it is free and with loads of online tutorials for the people who like to tweak and customize?

:rolleyes:

You are entirely correct.

And if you have a laptop like that already it is even more relevant.

however you could go down the typical consumer approach and blow your cash on turning more of the earth's resources into landfill while developing a healthy disregard for anyone else's ideas ........thank you very much

P.s. plus you get to learn how your nas works too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

icrusader wrote: »
    or you could recycle an old pc or do what i did and use a 10w thin client with a laptop drive.

If you want to run a "NAS" with just a single laptop-sized drive or having to chain external USB drives with their own power supplies, sure. Good luck with running any form of RAID on that setup.

If you want to run a "NAS" with just a single laptop-sized drive or having to chain external USB drives with their own power supplies, sure. Good luck with running any form of RAID on that setup.
    If you had a laptop with a sata dvd drive, you could pop it out and put in something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ie/2-5-Laptop-SATA-HDD-ODD-CD-DVD-RW-BOX-Caddy-12-7mm-/260780207912?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item3cb7b62f28

That should fix you up for RAID 0 or 1.

USB powered drives are also an option.

It's also worth considering if you're using a laptop with a good battery, it's effectively like having a UPS on your NAS in case of power loss.

Advertisement