Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nutrition book that focuses on running

Options
  • 15-11-2020 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a cookbook geared towards runners. I’m looking for personnel recommendations of books people have used and found good. Looking to improve nutrition in general and nutrition for running in particular. I’m experiencing a lot of tiredness after runs - bloods are good and it’s certainly not running too fast so Ive decided to try and improve my diet / nutrition.

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Wottle

I'd highly recommend Anita Bean's "The complete guide to sports nutrition"

Good read and well explained. You can definitely use it to tailor your needs as a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Wottle wrote: »

Good read and well explained. You can definitely use it to tailor your needs as a runner.

perfect tks will google her now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Don't overthink it, as much as possible buy foods with 1 ingredient, make the majority of your meals yourself, limit processed foods, allow yourself a treat if you think you've deserved it.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Don't overthink it, as much as possible buy foods with 1 ingredient, make the majority of your meals yourself, limit processed foods, allow yourself a treat if you think you've deserved it.

Thanks - this is the stage I’m at but it’s not helping with the tiredness. Hoping a nice cookbook aimed at runners might help improve my nutrition a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

The authors name sounds like a nutrition recommendation in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭event

Davey Nutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Fit Foodie by Derval O'Rourke.
    I know she wasn't a long distance runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Wottle wrote:

+1 for this book

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Do you monitor your fluid intake. Personally I can run without eating much but if I have not drank enough then it's really bad. When I started to monitor my fluid intake and increase it a bit I would feel much better. There are many free phone apps for this. I used Hydrocoach. Not saying it's the issue but worth a try to see if you meet your recommended daily fluid intake or not.

rom wrote: »
    Do you monitor your fluid intake. Personally I can run without eating much but if I have not drank enough then it's really bad. When I started to monitor my fluid intake and increase it a bit I would feel much better. There are many free phone apps for this. I used Hydrocoach. Not saying it's the issue but worth a try to see if you meet your recommended daily fluid intake or not.

Thanks will try this - I know bloods are good , it’s not speed and it’s not too high mileage sleep seems good. I figured I’d focus on improving nutrition. Checking fluid intake won’t hurt especially since mask wearing in work has ruled out sipping during the day.

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    Davey Nutrition

I have a banana oat bake recipe if his which is delicious -I never thought of checking to see if he had a website 🙂

The Fit Foodie by Derval O'Rourke.
    I know she wasn't a long distance runner.

I’ve come across her website will take a look at the cookbook now tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I have a banana oat bake recipe if his which is delicious -I never thought of checking to see if he had a website ��

He brought out a book last Autumn. It's got some great guidance on nutrition when it comes to sport. Plenty of recipes in there for all of your meals with different focues on fueling (carbing, recovery etc.). Worth the purchase. Here it is.

py wrote: »
    He brought out a book last Autumn. It's got some great guidance on nutrition when it comes to sport. Plenty of recipes in there for all of your meals with different focues on fueling (carbing, recovery etc.). Worth the purchase. Here it is.

perfect tks - might invest as his oat bake is delicious ðŸ˜

I have a banana oat bake recipe if his which is delicious -I never thought of checking to see if he had a website ��

He does but you have to pay. He has a book out, I have it.

Split in to rest days and active days.
    He's the nutritionist for the Dublin GAA team and Leinster Rugby team. Very simple and great tasting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

event wrote: »
    He does but you have to pay. He has a book out, I have it.

Split in to rest days and active days.
    He's the nutritionist for the Dublin GAA team and Leinster Rugby team. Very simple and great tasting stuff

I'd recommend his book too. Although I'm biased as he's from my parish and went to school with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Thanks will try this - I know bloods are good , it’s not speed and it’s not too high mileage sleep seems good. I figured I’d focus on improving nutrition. Checking fluid intake won’t hurt especially since mask wearing in work has ruled out sipping during the day.

Another one is Iron. If I don't take it I get really run down. Normal blood test they don't test for feritin level.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a29176511/iron-levels-absorption-workout-timing-study/#:~:text=Iron%20deficiency%20is%20extremely%20common,%26%20Science%20in%20Sports%20%26%20Exercise.

"Iron deficiency is extremely common among endurance athletes like runners, impacting up to 17 percent of male and 50 percent of female endurance athletes, according to past research cited in a new study published in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise."

The thing is that when you check your Iron level with the GP they will not take into account that someone runs.

I have taken Iron on and off for long time now. If I don't take it now then I feel very bad after a few weeks. Then when I start to take it again there is a big change after a few weeks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I have her 'The Runner's Cookbook' and like it. Trying to get the sports nutrition one via a local bookshop rather than online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Run Fast, Eat Slow by Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky has some lovely recipes and is runner focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

It might be worth checking out Matt Fitzgerald, he has written a number of nutrition books focused on runners and endurance athletes and has written or published various articles, blogs and podcasts.

Some blurb on him from amazon here

• Advertisement

wrstan wrote: »
    It might be worth checking out Matt Fitzgerald, he has written a number of nutrition books focused on runners and endurance athletes and has written or published various articles, blogs and podcasts.

Some blurb on him from amazon here

Im reading one of his books

Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever

Its good but very technical, a bit more than I thought it would be

Advertisement