Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

anyone have any idea when shimano are officially putting the new 12 speed stuff up for sale, my sram eagle derailleur is fcuked and i am sick of eagle and its finicky to setup bull**** :D

You'll probably need a new hub because for some Stoopid reason they are only licensing the microspline design to a limited number of companies. Even hope aren't allowed use it. So far it's just Shimano and dt Swiss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

from the little research ive done it seems like it will work with eagle cassettes so hopefully i will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Though Bricks and Mortar shops are saying at least another month for XT 12 SPD

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Recently installed a dropper post on my bike and lord god does it change your rides. Picked up a brand X off one of the mtb facebook groups, had only been used as a test fit by the previous owner. Pretty easy to install (besides routing the cables internally). A must have in my opinion. Also picked up a pair of FiveTen Spitfire's from CRC on sale. Have only worn them twice but both in wet conditions, feet stay solid on the pedals now and dont move around which is a big bonus going over rough terrain on the hardtail. 2 Very successful purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

A dropper post is one of those things you don't think you need until you finally get one, then you wonder how you ever did without.

• Advertisement

One of my favorite podcast channels with Danny MacAskill for this episode https://wearelookingsideways.com/podcasts/100a-danny-macaskill . Plenty of surfers, climbers, skaters, snowboarders and the like in other episodes if any of that tickles peoples fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I completed a Red C survey this morning.
    Part of it was about Coillte, there was a comment section at the end, about what Coillte could do to improve. I recommended that they provide more facilities for mountain bikers.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Eamonnator wrote:
    I completed a Red C survey this morning. Part of it was about Coillte, there was a comment section at the end, about what Coillte could do to improve. I recommended that they provide more facilities for mountain bikers. You're welcome.

Hope you hounded them on the insurance industry, on how it's fcuking up our fun, and businesses of course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Hope you hounded them on the insurance industry, on how it's fcuking up our fun, and businesses of course

I serpently did, 100 cement.
    I got quite a lot off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Eamonnator wrote: »
    what Coillte could do to improve. I recommended that they provide more facilities for mountain bikers.

I don't think we should rely on a semi-state who's primary mission is planting and harvesting of pine trees, and processing them into paper and wood products.

Outdoor recreational sites on state(coillte) lands should be managed by a separate entity with a focus on everything from walking, horse riding to mtb. The popularity of the coillte sites has exploded in the last 5 years, every weekend, sites around Dublin can barely cope with the level of car parking so it shows just how busy they are, and this needs to be managed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I think this forum needs a "mb's 'no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread" ;)

Anyway here seems as good a place. Has anyone ran a 29r frame with a 650b set up? I'm interested in getting an on one hello dave frame from planet x but they're 29r and without opening any can of worms I'm not interested in going 29r and I'm really only interested in this frame as a long term build. Appreciate there are loads of other very good frames for similar money but they won me with the raw look.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOHD/on-one-hello-dave-frame

FTOOHD_P4.jpg?v=bk

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

I'd say a low BB would be the biggest issue, would you run it as 650b with plus tyres?

Biopace wrote: »
    I'd say a low BB would be the biggest issue, would you run it as 650b with plus tyres?

Yeah I was thinking that's the only real difference but google tells me all kind of madness, plus tyres might be an option alright and my fork will take a plus tyre.

I was running 650b 2.6 plus tyres (Conti Barons), I seem to remember the overall height difference to 29er 2.3s was only about 8mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Is it just particular frame you fancy iwillhtfu? If you're looking for a steel 27.5 hardtail, Cotic bikes sell their BFE frame for about £500-ish, and Airdrop bikes (another Sheffield number) are selling their Bitmap frames at a reduced price of £349 at the moment. On the other end of the scale if you have £900 spare, 18 bikes have their No.7 frames available.

Lemming wrote: »
    Is it just particular frame you fancy iwillhtfu? If you're looking for a steel 27.5 hardtail, Cotic bikes sell their BFE frame for about £500-ish, and Airdrop bikes (another Sheffield number) are selling their Bitmap frames at a reduced price of £349 at the moment. On the other end of the scale if you have £900 spare, 18 bikes have their No.7 frames available.

Yeah it's more of a something down the line I fancied. I have a commencal Meta HT AM on order which is plenty enough for a hardtail but I also have an ohlins fork I wouldn't mind sticking on a frame at some point so there's no major panic.

I was mad keen to get a cotic but they've stopped making 27.5 and moved everything over to 29r. I also looked at ragley frame but have since gone off them in favour of a longer slacker build.

Biopace wrote: »
    I was running 650b 2.6 plus tyres (Conti Barons), I seem to remember the overall height difference to 29er 2.3s was only about 8mm.

yeah they seem to work out that it's an 18mm drop in bb height and then you could probably claw some back with tyre choice.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I was mad keen to get a cotic but they've stopped making 27.5 and moved everything over to 29r. I also looked at ragley frame but have since gone off them in favour of a longer slacker build.

The link I sent you for the Cotic BFE is for a 27.5; or that's what it says. I know they have a BFE max which I thought was just a plus size tyre thing but now that you mention the 29er thing I'm not so sure [regards the Max].

The airdrop Bitmap is definitely a 27.5, as is the No.7

The link I sent you for the Cotic BFE is for a 27.5; or that's what it says. I know they have a BFE max which I thought was just a plus size tyre thing but now that you mention the 29er thing I'm not so sure [regards the Max].

The airdrop Bitmap is definitely a 27.5, as is the No.7

I just took a look there and it is I thought they had moved from 650b altogether but it was just the soul they were winding up. They might be back on the cards so.

The air drop max is lovely and obviously very popular they're sold out. Probably a bit to steep a price though for a whim.

"I have a fork so must build a bike" :D What about a Ribble HT 725 ? Stumbled across a pic of one yesterday. Looked good, no idea about ride or quality :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭covey123

Airdrop bikes (another Sheffield number) .

Their Edit full suss is a tasty looking bike!
    Any feedback on them?

I got a reply from planet x and they don't think there'll be any issues they've a few custom builds in 650b

49994862631_9d8bb2dcae_w.jpg

covey123 wrote: »
    Any feedback on them?

Other than positive reviews online, I've not encountered anyone personally with one in Sheffield (yet) despite them being a Sheffield-based company so can't really say either way. I hadn't heard of them until they turned up at the annual Sheffield Urban Dual Slalom race a few years ago.

covey123 wrote: »
    Any feedback on them?

I have a V1 Edit, brilliant machine, probably too much bike for my meagre skills, but was massive fun when I was using it.

For any trail builders out there,came across this,looks like a good deal;

https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/wildfire-rakehoe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Btr fabrications make the ultimate trail tool. It's expensive but you could honestly go to war with it. It's best suited to loamy forest conditions. https://www.btr-fabrications.com/products/trail-tool/

The title of this thread is very fitting when I read the price on that. Will make my own when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Peter T wrote:
    The title of this thread is very fitting when I read the price on that. Will make my own when the time comes

We just use standard tools, pick axe, shovels, loppers, bushmen, rakes etc

Same whenever I've been out doing maintenance with the gang. There's been a trail tool like above to hand but rarely gets used

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We just use standard tools, pick axe, shovels, loppers, bushmen, rakes etc

A mattock is definitely worth picking up if you don't already have one, really makes short work of digging

Advertisement