Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2020, 21:41   #16
Manach

The story of Cu Chulainn is one of foundational myths in Ireland, akin to Romulus for the ancient Romans or Achilles for the Greeks.

I'd recommend The Great Course's "The Celtic World" and Nora Chadwicks "The Celts, for context.

How revelent he is or if being judged by present day standards qualifies him as a Hero, is prehaps a subjective opinion.

[Mod]
However, as this is rather a lo-fi thread please consider providing evidence for Cu Chulainn's status or your opinion.
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 22:23   #17
Poorside

The " fact" a Munster cheiftain sought him out to help for a raid elevates him past local hero for me
Thanks from:
12-09-2020, 23:07   #18
Kylta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
The story of Cu Chulainn is one of foundational myths in Ireland, akin to Romulus for the ancient Romans or Achilles for the Greeks.

I'd recommend The Great Course's "The Celtic World" and Nora Chadwicks "The Celts, for context.

How revelent he is or if being judged by present day standards qualifies him as a Hero, is prehaps a subjective opinion.

[Mod]
However, as this is rather a lo-fi thread please consider providing evidence for Cu Chulainn's status or your opinion.
Has its myth were dealing with I believe that Cu Chulainn was maybe a version of an earlier story possibly from greece or persia translated and the transformed over the course of many years into an irish legend.
I don't believe he was an irish legend, I've yet to read were he defended the irish against any outside nation. To be fair to all he slew in the, the tain, well he was well armed to a degree that you think he was an apache helicopter fighting farmers who only possessed pikes. Again its a myth its an oral story that was translated probably for centuries before it was written down. You couldn't even say for certain whether he was called Cu Chuliann or its a bastard version off another name.
12-09-2020, 23:17   #19
magicbastarder

i had assumed the question was 'was he a hero or not', rather than 'was he irish or not'.
unfortunately the question was asked with no context given, the above explanation of the reasoning behind it would have been useful.
12-09-2020, 23:30   #20
Kylta

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
i had assumed the question was 'was he a hero or not', rather than 'was he irish or not'.
unfortunately the question was asked with no context given, the above explanation of the reasoning behind it would have been useful.
Well to be an irish hero dictates he done something on behalf of his country. To be a provincial hero he did something on behalf of his province. Or maybe I should've asked was he a tribal hero instead? But its the posters opinion I was looking for in general
Advertisement
13-09-2020, 00:23   #21
Poorside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylta View Post
Well to be an irish hero dictates he done something on behalf of his country. To be a provincial hero he did something on behalf of his province. Or maybe I should've asked was he a tribal hero instead? But its the posters opinion I was looking for in general

If it's really just our opinion, on what we know, he was man that protected his people, self preservation was obviously a big thing with him, from his encounter that gave him his name to his deeds in Scotland, after that he started looking out for his Kin and was then sought out by people that were 100's of miles away from him. He sought fame to an extent and followed his prophecy to its ultimate end,to me he's a legend and a hero.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion