Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Planet - Wednesdays @ 9 BBC1

Options
  • 24-10-2011 4:18pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,165 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

As Im sure most of you know theres a new David Attenborough show called Frozen Planet starting this wednesday at 9 on BBC1. I thought a discussion thread might be worthwhile!
    Its taken 4 years to make and concentrates solely on the Arctic and Antarctic(I think). I'm sure it will probably highlight climate change but there promises to be some great footage of the wildlife. If the trailer is anything to go by we can expect some truely awe inspiring cinematography:

:eek:

I didn't think they would out do the stuff in Planet Earth or Life but going by that they may just have!

Theres an interview in The Guardian with the man himself thats worth reading too.

Thoughts folks? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Hadn't heard of this.
    Looks great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

What will we do when David Attenborough is gone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Can't wait for this, it looks like it'll be another phenomenal production from the BBC. I get the impression it'll be another one of those series that turns peoples ideas about a biosphere completely on its head.
    Adam Khor wrote: »
    What will we do when David Attenborough is gone? :D

shush now with that kind of blaspheming :eek: Dave will never leave us. Ever. He's not allowed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    As Im sure most of you know theres a new David Attenborough show called Frozen Planet starting this wednesday at 9 on BBC1. I thought a discussion thread might be worthwhile!
    Its taken 4 years to make and concentrates solely on the Arctic and Antarctic(I think). I'm sure it will probably highlight climate change but there promises to be some great footage of the wildlife. If the trailer is anything to go by we can expect some truely awe inspiring cinematography:

:eek:

I didn't think they would out do the stuff in Planet Earth or Life but going by that they may just have!

Theres an interview in The Guardian with the man himself thats worth reading too.

Thoughts folks? :)

Absolutely stunning. When hes gone I cant see anyone filling his boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I reckon if John Hurt started smoking 40 a day then by the time Dave kicks the bucket we'd have an unreal new voice to fill in.
    Or Patrick Stewart.
    Or Morgan Freeman.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,165 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

aidoh wrote: »
    I reckon if John Hurt started smoking 40 a day then by the time Dave kicks the bucket we'd have an unreal new voice to fill in.
    Or Patrick Stewart.
    Or Morgan Freeman.

John Hurt does Planet Dinosaur at the moment and I quite like him at it too. Benedict Cumberbatch is another good one, he played Sherlock Holmes in the recent BBC show and he did the narration for that Stephen Hawking docu show that came out last year and the BBC nature series South Pacific which is well worth a watch.

But as g'em said Sir David's not going anywhere at the moment he's not allowed!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,165 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only watched a few seconds as I didn't want to spoil it for the show but if you want watch theres some cool footage from Frozen Planet of a pack of grey wolves hunting bison on the BBC website. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

When hes gone I cant see anyone filling his boots.

I think Steve Backshall will be the perfect person to fill in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

While I appreciate that DA was a pioneer of the genre, more recently, his role in the documentaries is mostly narration with some presentation. So while I will miss his voice, the shows are directed, produced, researched by many many many individuals and the show will go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The guy has just an amazing ability to capture and hold peoples attention. He's one man id love to just sit in a cafe with and have an aul conversation.

• Advertisement

While I appreciate that DA was a pioneer of the genre, more recently, his role in the documentaries is mostly narration with some presentation. So while I will miss his voice, the shows are directed, produced, researched by many many many individuals and the show will go on.

Yea true although he did actually travel to the arctic for part of this one at least i think.

It's amazing some of the stuff the crews have gone through though, some of the best bits of Planet Earth and LIfe was the making of section in the last 15 minutes or so. They didn't have it easy thats for sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning. When hes gone I cant see anyone filling his boots.
    My vote's for Simon King.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

kylith wrote: »
    My vote's for Simon King.

I never thought of him! Hes good alright.

Well did anyone watch it?

I thought it was great, some startling footage in it. Particular highlight was probably the grey wolves hunting down the bison, the ORca footage was outstanding too.

I got the impression they cut a fair bit of the polar bears fighting out, the male was in ribbons by the end of that sequence but we didn't really see it happen.

THe landscape footage was outstanding too, I had no idea about the dry valleys! Also the ice caves on Mt Erebus were fascinating, who knows what undiscovered life forms could be lurking around in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I watched it with this expression on my face :eek: most of the time... just fantastic. The footage was amazing and great to get some insight into how some of it was done at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

littlebug wrote: »
    I watched it with this expression on my face :eek: most of the time... just fantastic. The footage was amazing and great to get some insight into how some of it was done at the end.
    Couldn't agree more :)
    I can't wait for next weeks episode:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

It was great, I've always found the Scott/Amundsen race to the South Pole fascinating. It was incredible to see the terrain they covered, the mountains, the dry valleys, then finally the bleak ice sheet that seemed to stretch into infinity. Also I really love penguins, was delighted to see the one that escaped from the seal. Amazing to see the whales working together to create the big waves to wash the seal off the ice although there was something poignant about the part when they finally dragged it into the water as it seemed to slip so slowly backwards before disappearing.

hollypink wrote: »
    Amazing to see the whales working together to create the big waves to wash the seal off the ice although there was something poignant about the part when they finally dragged it into the water as it seemed to slip so slowly backwards before disappearing.

I think that was very powerful footage. I recorded it with a view to the kids watching it today but I think that bit was a bit much for them :(

hollypink wrote: »
    It was great, I've always found the Scott/Amundsen race to the South Pole fascinating. It was incredible to see the terrain they covered, the mountains, the dry valleys, then finally the bleak ice sheet that seemed to stretch into infinity. Also I really love penguins, was delighted to see the one that escaped from the seal. Amazing to see the whales working together to create the big waves to wash the seal off the ice although there was something poignant about the part when they finally dragged it into the water as it seemed to slip so slowly backwards before disappearing.

Yea that was an eye opener, the terrain they crossed on foot was staggering. The glacier looked completely impassable, just shows it was a completely different undertaking to the arctic exploration which was straight forward in comparison.

It would be nice if Tom Crean and Shackleton get a mention in later episodes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more :)
    I can't wait for next weeks episode:)

Only heard about this about 5 minutes before it started. Better late than never, what an absolute treat. Amazing footage, every minute of it was just wow.
    But is there gonna be more in this series? They done both the north and south poles last night so I was kinda thinking is this gonna be it! Obviously theres plenty more to both poles but they did cover quite a bit last night. And there was no mention of next weeks show at the end?

• Advertisement

But is there gonna be more in this series? They done both the north and south poles last night so I was kinda thinking is this gonna be it! Obviously theres plenty more to both poles but they did cover quite a bit last night. And there was no mention of next weeks show at the end?

Seven episodes as far as I can see from here plus for anyone who missed last nights show it looks like it's repeated on Sunday at 4.10pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Yeah, says the same on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_Planet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was gobsmacked by the whole thing. The quality of the footage was astounding, and a real testament to the men and women who went to such extraordinary lengths to get it. Kudos to all involved, and I look forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Absolutely incredible program, looking forward to Wednesdays now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Can't wait for this to be on again tonight, amazing series!

Another good show tonight. The wooly bear caterpillar's life cycle was pretty amazing to see, I couldn't believe it when he said it was 14 years old!

The ferocity of the elephant seal fight was something to behold too, really tore chunks out of eachother.

Would like to have seen more of the narwhal though, hopefully the series will revisit them at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Wow last night's show was absolutely amazing, the thief penguin had me laughing my heart out and the caterpiller had me teary eyed for some reason, so wonderful that a little guy like that takes 14 years of hard work just to become a moth for one season, amazing!

Can't wait for next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

how could you not love those little penguins running up the beach:) and then to see them literally flying out of the water when the whales arrived along.......mad:D

love these programmes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have only seen episode one so far. Quite something alright. The behind the scenes stuff was enjoyable. I tell ya, you wouldn't want to be around when the killer whales start throwing waves and that sea lion was a bit useless at catching penguins! A few sad moments, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's on the Beeb now lads :)

Advertisement