Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Planet - Wednesdays @ 9 BBC1

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Planet Earth BluRay is spectacular so here's hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Galvasean wrote: »
    The Planet Earth BluRay is spectacular so here's hoping :)

I watched the 1st episode in standard definition, enjoyed it.

Then I watched the 2nd in HD :eek: I had to watch the remaining episodes like this, the contrast is unbelievable. It really shines on the close up of the animals.

I always admire the cinematography and technology the BBC use.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just saw this.
    Discovery Channel reversed course on Tuesday when it announced that it would air all seven parts of a BBC series about Earth’s polar regions, including a final episode about climate change, which it originally said it would forgo.

In mid-November, the BBC drew criticism for giving foreign television networks the option not to buy the final episode, “On Thin Ice,” when purchasing rights to air its latest nature and wildlife series, Frozen Planet. At the time, the Corporation said that over thirty networks had licensed the series, but a third of them, including Discovery Channel, which co-produced Frozen Planet, had opted out.

The Telegraph and the Daily Mail, two British newspapers, suggested that Discovery Channel’s abstention reflected a desire to avoid provoking skeptics of manmade climate change in the US. When the station announced that Frozen Plant would premiere on March 18, 2012, it added that:

The series’ seventh episode, hosted on camera by British naturalist David Attenborough, will investigate what rising temperatures will mean for the people and wildlife that live there - and for the rest of the planet.

At press time, nearly 84,000 people had signed a Change.org petition to air the episode. Discovery Channel hasn’t elaborated on its decision, although a Los Angeles Times blog reported Tuesday that:

The ruckus surprised Discovery executives, who had not screened all of the episodes until last week.

“Up until today we had not made any programming or scheduling decisions, and today we made our announcement,” said Katherine Nelson, Discovery Channel spokeswoman.

The Telegraph predicted that “The airing of the final episode of Frozen Planet will have a huge impact on the ongoing debate about global warming,” although it’s unclear how much of “On Thin Ice” will focus on the impacts of climate change versus mankind’s contribution to climate change.

THats pretty good news, hopefully it will help open a few people's eyes. Would have been a shame if the episode wasn't aired, even from n aesthetic point of view, as there was some great footage in it.

Source.

A victory for common sense!
    Quick question though, does the episode even say that the rising temperatures are man made?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Quick question though, does the episode even say that the rising temperatures are man made?

Not 100% sure, it does show some arctic oil refineries and the like, just saying its easier to get at the resources now as the ice recedes but I don't recall if they explicitly say anything about the thaw being man made.

• Advertisement

Nope it is never stated. Thought they'd go into detail about it but they didn't. Just should the comparisons of the ice cover from 30 years ago to now. Some unreal changes.

What's all this I hear about one of the scenes involving polar bears being 'faked' using zoo animals?

What's all this I hear about one of the scenes involving polar bears being 'faked' using zoo animals?

Yep apparently the footage in the den where two polar bears are born was filmed in a zoo! Apparently they didn't hide the fact on the website but did not mention it in the show. TBH it would have been very impractical and dangerous for both bear and cameraman to try film that in the wild I think, so I'm quite happy to have been duped in that regard. The footage was pretty powerful in the show.

The BBC reckon it was some sort of smear campaign that got pople complaining about it.

Seems a hub-a-doo 'bout nutin' to me. Documentaries always cut corners in that sense. Always have. Always will.

My awesome auntie got me the BluRay for Xmas! :D

• Advertisement

My awesome auntie got me the BluRay for Xmas! :D

How many have you watched? :D

Advertisement