Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW recall - 2014-2016 3 and 5 series diesel cars in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So they want to make changes to the EGR.

Hmmm..... think I'll leave it as it is and see what happens to other people's cars who get the update.

If I do burst into flames.... well, I never got a letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Only the 4 cylinder diesels affected?

Found the answer, RTE article is poor:
    It also affects 5 Series and 6 Series models with the larger six-cylinder diesel engines – 3-litre diesels – built between July 2012 and June 2015. Finally it also involves 7 Series models with the six-cylinder diesel engines, built between August 2010 and June 2015.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/bmw-recalls-10-384-irish-cars-as-part-of-1-6m-recall-over-potential-fire-hazard-1.3672730

Looks like mix of N47 and N57 engines affected.

Wait to see what the fix entails before going for recall on my 530d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

isn't it a terrible indictment of the motor industry when recalls are viewed with such suspicion.

Rightly so though as they were all at the emissions cheating game .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Looks like EGR cooler needs to be replaced based on inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

mikeecho wrote: »
    So they want to make changes to the EGR.

Hmmm..... think I'll leave it as it is and see what happens to other people's cars who get the update.

If I do burst into flames.... well, I never got a letter.

It's not an update, it's a replacement component.

What's your potential conspiracy?

I think it's well documented by now that these are prone to going up in flames, so I'd expect that the attempts to reduce this happening are genuine in their intention and not some faux cover up to carry out a VW style emissions software update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

So we just wait for a letter from BMW Ireland is that it? Presume they would be providing courtesy cars while the work is being done? Very hard to get any work done on my Bmw now with the closure of Murphy & Gunn the rest of the garages are booked out for service for weeks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sure just change the egr valve when you have the entire engine out changing the failing timing chain.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sure just change the egr valve when you have the entire engine out changing the failing timing chain.

Unless I’m mistaken the timing chain stretching issue was fixed from 2013 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The timing chain wasn't fixed until the B generation of engines came out in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

mfceiling wrote: »

You're hilarious...what time does your show start at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭freddieot

Anyone get a letter yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope.

freddieot wrote: »
    Anyone get a letter yet ?

Yep, got it last week.

Any chance of posting a pic of it? I’ve not received one yet

Sure.

44842456564_ca448c9671_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭freddieot

Is it just the 2.0 engines or do we know if the 3.0s are also involved in the recall ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭ShanE90

Also covers the 3.0d got a reply to an Email I sent during the week to contact nearest Bmw dealer for repair work car is a 335d built October 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

freddieot wrote: »
    Is it just the 2.0 engines or do we know if the 3.0s are also involved in the recall ?

Both engines are affected.

Advertisement