Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damage to car, estimate?

Options
  • 31-05-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move if not.

I did a bit of damage to my car last week because I'm an idiot, and I want to get it repaired. I got a quote of between €450-500 to sort it, I'm just wondering if that's a good price as I have no idea myself what these things cost.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No an expert but €500 seems cheap to me, maybe a bit too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

No an expert but €500 seems cheap to me, maybe a bit too cheap!

Jaysus, I had no idea bodywork was so expensive. It's a lesson to be more careful in future!

Well the guy who gave me that price comes recommended from a friend, he said he's done work on his car a few times before and that he's cheap, but is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

How old is the car? Might be the case that it adds "character" and leave it alone.

How old is the car? Might be the case that it adds "character" and leave it alone.

It's a 06. I get what you're saying alright, and it'd be tempting to leave it as it'd save me money, but the rest of the car is spotless, especially for a 12 year old car so I feel it'd be a shame to leave it the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I drive an 06 too and if I did that kind of damage I would regard spending €500 as throwing money down the drain. My neighbour hit and broke the front grille of mine lately and I sinply couldn't care less. The next owner will more than likely be the scrapyard either way. Is that a focus you have?

• Advertisement

I drive an 06 too and if I did that kind of damage I would regard spending €500 as throwing money down the drain. My neighbour hit and broke the front grille of mine lately and I sinply couldn't care less. The next owner will more than likely be the scrapyard either way. Is that a focus you have?

I do see your point, but as I said, the rest of the car is in such a good condition, it'd be a shame nearly. No, not a Focus, it's a Polo

500 seems pricy. I hit a pole recently (woops) and damaged the rear passenger side worse than yours. Got a quote of €550.

Smashed my front bumper when i hit a badger, got a price of €300 that time i think (and that was pretty bad, wrecked the fog light requiring a new one).

Someone drove into my back bumper brefore and cracked it. Cost €70 if i recall correctly.

Shop around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I do see your point, but as I said, the rest of the car is in such a good condition, it'd be a shame nearly. No, not a Focus, it's a Polo

If you plan on keeping the car for another 5+ years then maybe, but if you don’t see yourself driving it then it’s not worth bothering with tbh. The car could be pretty much uninsurable/undesirable to whoever you sell it on to in 2-3 years. Depending on market conditions of course. Not worth the money imho. The damage is not bad. Touch up with a spray can from Halfords bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

For comparison my wife damaged her car as in the pic attached. Got the damage fixed and the front and rear bumpers resprayed at the same time. 550€

150 for each bumper and 250 to fix the damage to the door/panel.

Car is like new after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If you plan on keeping the car for another 5+ years then maybe, but if you don’t see yourself driving it then it’s not worth bothering with tbh. The car could be pretty much uninsurable/undesirable to whoever you sell it on to in 2-3 years. Depending on market conditions of course. Not worth the money imho. The damage is not bad. Touch up with a spray can from Halfords bobs your uncle.

It will look a lot worse if you go spraying it with an aerosol can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 sergiot

look on ebay for exact same door as your vehicle and year , color, could cost 1-200 euros , easy fix

500 seems pricy. I hit a pole recently (woops) and damaged the rear passenger side worse than yours. Got a quote of €550.

Smashed my front bumper when i hit a badger, got a price of €300 that time i think (and that was pretty bad, wrecked the fog light requiring a new one).

Someone drove into my back bumper brefore and cracked it. Cost €70 if i recall correctly.

Shop around. :)

There's another guy who's been recommended to me, but trying to get hold of him is proving difficult :p from what various people have told me, he'd do it cheaper than the other guy.
    heroics wrote: »
    For comparison my wife damaged her car as in the pic attached. Got the damage fixed and the front and rear bumpers resprayed at the same time. 550€

150 for each bumper and 250 to fix the damage to the door/panel.

Car is like new after.

€500 doesn't seem so bad for mine now, seeing as mine goes a long way down the passenger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

To be honest, a car over ten years old is worth 500 euros, pretty much regardless of condition, thanks to insurance regs, your as well to leave it as is and take the 'character' approach (great tag from the respondent), which I've already done with my 06 'mint with a dint' Rio....

Advertisement