Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNES Mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

dmcg90 wrote: »
    None in Jervis St (or anywhere on their online stock checker).

It's been out of stock on the website since Friday morning, but they've been in stock in small quantities in the stores. They told me they mark it out of stock online as they only had a few in-store and don't want a stampede in the stores. The stores themselves don't even know what stock is in other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

fmul9798 wrote: »
    An evening of castlevania 4 was had, and can confirm the slowdown once things get busy... Just the snes mini being a snes!

Just played, and finished Castlevania IV for the first time (never owned a SNES growing up).

Those save-states/rewind features are a godsend for me. I don't think I would be able for some of these games without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's an amazing game alright.

Using save states you're kinda missing part of the fun. Finishing that game after putting lots of time in, dying over and over - it's fantastic once you finally finish it properly.

You'd definitely be able to finish it the traditional way with practice, nobody is meant to be able to finish it the first time they play it! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania 4 isn't that tough really, quite manageable. The only real issue is the later stage where you are trying to out pace the spinning saw blades. It's ok on original hardware but the lag that modern tech adds to it makes it really difficult.

It's got a great soundtrack but I still think CV3 is the highlight of the linear games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Tried both Smyth's stores in Limerick this morning no go but interestingly enough both told me to come back at different times during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still can't complete Megaman :o

Also, either it's my LCD TV, or the emulation is off; I died to the very first Goomba in SMW as I couldn't bop him on the head!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder if there's screen lag, depending on the HDMI port and any lousy screen mode, might want to check, see if it can be improved, turn off post filtering on the tv for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have all my "smoothing" and other bull**** features on my TV turned off, SNES mini working great! No lag that I can notice

Been bashing through GnG the last few nights. Even though it's plagued with slow down I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Most 'modern' TVs will have a 'games' mode which turns off all that fun stuff so no lag/processing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Most 'modern' TVs will have a 'games' mode which turns off all that fun stuff so no lag/processing

There's still a frame or two of lag and the SNES Mini operates with a framebuffer with adds at least a frame of lag, maybe more.

I have noticed the SNES mini is much laggier than the SNES with a framemeister but it's not awful either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

UPADTE********

Smyths

Blancharstown, Jervis & Swords have SNES mini in stock, I rang all three!

One per customer

good luck!

NOT ONLINE, walk in only!

Out of stock Smyth's, I pick up last one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Off topic. But this fantastic. https://youtu.be/VxnTsR6AjMc

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I think the scalpers are going to get nicely burned on these. Good stuff.

Finished SMW with 95 exits... very annoying. Turns out it was the super short star world level, just didn't finish it the normal way.

Smyth's blanchardstown have them in store only. Was just off the phone to them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's two copies of Retro magazine with the Super Play special in Easons in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's two copies of Retro magazine with the Super Play special in Easons in Swords.

I'd advise being extra quick about it too, since the next issue (a fancy-pants feature on Mario Sunshine) hits shelves in the UK today, so guess they'll be here either tomorrow or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Hakchi has been updated to support adding roms to the SNES Mini now as well, still in beta with limitations but working.

Tried both limerick branches this morning and nothing ☹☹

• Advertisement

Hakchi has been updated to support adding roms to the SNES Mini now as well, still in beta with limitations but working.

Great news, going to wait myself until it's in a better state of release, not taking chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I take it it’ll also play NES ROMs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

just got me one in Smyths Blanchardstown

Asked if any, yer man said of course..so they had a few

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

**** anyway nothing in either smyths down here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Theoretical question.

If one was the put additional roms on to the snes mini, would one need to consider the region of the aforementioned rom. The age old 60hz NTSC versus 50hz pal battle.

Or does it make no difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Theoretical question.

If one was the put additional roms on to the snes mini, would one need to consider the region of the aforementioned rom. The age old 60hz NTSC versus 50hz pal battle.

Or does it make no difference?

It'll run them all at 60Hz regardless. You'll only see problems with PAL optimised games, and perhaps those with region locks built in (ie hz checks)...for the latter, just get the US variants & all's well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks dude.

It's undoubtedly why the games on the SNES Mini are all US editions.
    No Probotector or Starwing.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's undoubtedly why the games on the SNES Mini are all US editions.
    No Probotector or Starwing.

Proper order... although I do like the Patlabor styling of the probotector robots.

• Advertisement

I prefer the scifi styling of the Probotector theme rather than the politically dodgy Contra, brings back all those American adventurism overseas crap that nation used to enjoy so much

Advertisement