Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What could be the reason for brakes vibrating?

Options
  • 19-12-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

Car had a problem with brakes vibrating.
    Generally during braking, brake pedal was vibrating same as steering wheel.

It has nothing to do with ABS, as this is disabled.
    Wheels are straight - were balances recently. And there is no vibration whatsoever during driving at any speed - only during braking.

I though discs were warped, as it would explain vibrations.
    But I gave front discs for machining, and was told they should be straight now.
    In the rear there are drums.
    Unfortunately effect of vibrating still exists.
    It's most noticable during moderate braking. Less during light braking, as well as severe braking.

Any ideas what else could possibly cause brake pedal and steering wheel to vibrate during braking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Sticky caliper, pebble, bent hub, collapsed bearing, horlicksed pad.
    But you know it's the discs warped.

Warped discs or perished rubber in the arms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Warped discs or sometimes worn balljoints can give these symptoms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Bent hub. A way to check this is to put the front wheels on the back and vise versa. If it's still the same, it's a bent hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

pablo128 wrote: »
    Bent hub. A way to check this is to put the front wheels on the back and vise versa. If it's still the same, it's a bent hub.

That won't rule out warped discs though.
    You need the front wheels off and use a disc run out tool to determine any warping.

run_out_large.jpg

Same tool can be used to check for up and down indicating a hub issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can also depend on the car.

On the E46 this was front control arm bushings 90%of the time.

This could easily be bushings its rare enough someone manages to warp disks.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    That won't rule out warped discs though.
    You need the front wheels off and use a disc run out tool to determine any warping.

run_out_large.jpg

Same tool can be used to check for up and down indicating a hub issue.
    The OP said he got the discs skimmed, so I'm ruling them out. A run out tool would indicate both issues though. The only other thing I would imagine is a damaged wheel, but unlikely given the op's description of the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

The OP said he got the discs skimmed, so I'm ruling them out. A run out tool would indicate both issues though. The only other thing I would imagine is a damaged wheel, but unlikely given the op's description of the symptoms.

Thanks.

I can only assume disc are straight after skimming, but I can't see a reason why not.
    Wheels are straight. I put new tyres recently, and I think rear rims went to the front, and also all 4 wheels were balanced. This didn't change anything, so I can defintiely rule out wheels as the reason.

I didn't know hub could be bent. That's a good hint for me to look for.

I just need to find someone with this run out tool to check both.

CiniO wrote: »
    Thanks.

I can only assume disc are straight after skimming, but I can't see a reason why not.
    Wheels are straight. I put new tyres recently, and I think rear rims went to the front, and also all 4 wheels were balanced. This didn't change anything, so I can defintiely rule out wheels as the reason.

I didn't know hub could be bent. That's a good hint for me to look for.

I just need to find someone with this run out tool to check both.

Yeah, the centre of the hub, otherwise known as the 'drive flange' might have taken a knock.

I actually had a dodgy one last week, caused by a bearing failing and damaging it by wearing into it. I couldn't get one spurious (95 + vat for a genuine part), so I put a complete second hand hub on for 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Apparently, can be caused by pad material sticking to the disk..!

Stop her very hard, afew times, and if the problem goes away, that was it.

Its the banana skins and crushed nuts the eco folk have us using...

• Advertisement
Advertisement